Funny sayings of old time country folk

My mom's other favorite when people would ask why she stopped after having 3 boys and didn't keep trying to have a girl: Somebody told me every 4th child born in the world was Chinese, and I didn't want a Chinese baby.....

Cain't never could.....
You've got some great ones--many of which I had never heard of before. Were your folks from Texas (or one of the states around these parts)?

I'm interested if the country folks in the Midwest, Northeast and Northwest have the same sayings as in Texas.

My grandad grew up in Depression-era Mississippi and had that southern accent, but over the years it faded a bit. One thing he always said though was "that's not a dog, it's a D-A-W-G dawg". He was a hoot. :bow:

You've got some great ones--many of which I had never heard of before. Were your folks from Texas (or one of the states around these parts)?

I'm interested if the country folks in the Midwest, Northeast and Northwest have the same sayings as in Texas.
Cain't never could do nothin'.

Heard that from my grandparents a lot.

That one made me try and sit in a chair and put my both legs in at once - yep I was kinda weird when a child.

I’ve been to 3 circuses, 2 state fairs, and a rodeo, but I have never seen anything like that.

Last edited:

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back