Funny sayings of old time country folk

You've got some great ones--many of which I had never heard of before. Were your folks from Texas (or one of the states around these parts)?

I'm interested if the country folks in the Midwest, Northeast and Northwest have the same sayings as in Texas.

5th or 6th generation Caldwell County (Lockhart). My parents and grandparents had lots of sayings......

Some years ago I remember someone telling me about a time when they were told to go grab a switch off a tree. They did and when they returned the mother, father or grandma stated the switch was far too small. Adult went out and got a much larger switch and proceeded with harsh punishment! :whiteflag:

Spot on! As a country kid I had to learn how to balance picking the right switch. Under no circumstances did you want the adult to pick it.

I can honestly say that’s funny Chop and mean it sincerely. I can’t even postulate how people would see that today - not funny I’m certain. Uh oh well guess I can postulate on it to a degree. And no way I’d try the padding, would only have been worse when they found out. I usually ran like heck.
There was also the double-punishment.

If you got a spanking at school, you were getting another spanking once you got home.

My mom's other favorite when people would ask why she stopped after having 3 boys and didn't keep trying to have a girl: Somebody told me every 4th child born in the world was Chinese, and I didn't want a Chinese baby.....
Were you ever chastised by a family member of the Greatest Generation, of Silent Generation, to eat your food, and they'd say:

"Think of all the starving children in China."

(meanwhile, one country over--they're feasting in North Korea...)
image.jpg

8e8533fcdca945d3a0d7f3292e5ebf3f.jpeg

Last edited:
Were you ever chastised by a family member of the Greatest Generation, of Silent Generation, to eat your food, and they'd say:

image.jpg

:arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up:
This would be one of those guys who "has a tapeworm."

He's also got plenty of "sand in his pants."

Perhaps he's also "too big for his britches" -- on multiple levels.

I'm not sure if he "puts his pants on one leg at a time" though. He may need an assistant and some rigging equipment to don his pants. I think he claims to be an elite basketball athlete though... He plays lots of one-on-one basketball games in North Korea, and nobody has ever beaten him. He's undefeated.

Last edited:

image.jpg

YES, DEAR LEADER LIKES TO "CHOW DOWN" !!

In 3 shakes of a lambs tail, go to Ester's Follies and check out my recently posted photos of Mira Sorvino.... take a yummy trip down memory lane.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back