Coaching News and Rumors

Longtime friend, unfortunately an aggy... but he is realistic and not a member of the cult.

Asked me today which HC UT would fear most among early prospects.

Was honest said IMHO Traylor, due to his
success at UTSA and at the HS level.

Success at highest HS levels would give him good relationships with existing HS programs and coaches.

Last edited:
Longtime friend, unfortunately an aggy buddy... but realistic and not a member of the cult!

Ask me today which HC UT would fear most among early prospects.

Was honest said IMHO Traylor, due to his
success at UTSA a.c and at HS level.

Success at highest HS levels.... which gives him good relationship levels with existing HS programs!

I think the HS coach relationship on recruiting is overrated.
Jimbo didn't have a very good relationship with the HS coaches and he got plenty of high ranked players, recruiting wasn't his problem.
I ask the HS coaches I know about their influence on where recruits go and they all say not so much. They all say social media contact with other players, personal trainers and family are the biggest influences.
Anyway just my 2 cents.

I think the HS coach relationship on recruiting is overrated.
Jimbo didn't have a very good relationship with the HS coaches and he got plenty of high ranked players, recruiting wasn't his problem.
I ask the HS coaches I know about their influence on where recruits go and they all say not so much. They all say social media contact with other players, personal trainers and family are the biggest influences.
Anyway just my 2 cents.
I taught at the HS level for 26 years and worked with many coaches both the head guy and assistants. The overwhelming majority told me their influence was not one of the top priorities.Much of that time was before social media became such a huge part of the deal.

I don't know whom Baylor thinks they can hire other than POSSIBLY GJ Kinne. If Aranda is free I bet I can find an empty office for him in Travis County.

I think the only splash hire aggy can possibly get is Kiffen. DeBoer and Lanning aren’t leaving better gigs. Aggy can’t bring themselves to a great but unknown coach like Traylor.

Best options: Traylor, Leipold, Drinkwitz, Elko

The Arizona coach is doing a fantastic job. They should be 10-1 except for a bad early loss to Miss St and OT loss to USC.

Texas A&M coaching search: ESPN insider shares latest on top candidates

“Look for a solid Power 5 coach, somebody like Lane Kiffin, Chris Klieman out of Kansas State, Lance Leipold at Kansas and obviously former Texas A&M defensive coordinator Mike Elko who has resuscitated Duke during his time there.”

Thamel also believes there is a local option who is coaching at a smaller school, but could be what Texas A&M needs in terms of locality.

“And then there’s a local option, which is interesting,” Thamel said. “Jeff Traylor, the coach at UTSA, he’s a former Texas high school coach, could he rally the state and build A&M from within?”

:atm:
Urban Meyer addresses Texas A&M coaching search, names he would look at

"Many names have been thrown into the fat so far, namely, Detroit Lions coach and A&M alum Dan Campbell, Oregon’s Dan Lanning, and Washington‘s Kalen Deboer being the three top candidates.

Many agree that all three names would be a stretch, which leaves names like Mike Elko (Duke), Jeff Traylor (UTSA), or even Ole Miss‘ Lane Kiffin."

It's probably Elko or Traylor when the ink hits the contract.
Both are good coaches, with solid coaching backgrounds, but you just never know. That's a tough place to build a consistent winner at...

Urban Meyer addresses Texas A&M coaching search, names he would look at

"Many names have been thrown into the fat so far, namely, Detroit Lions coach and A&M alum Dan Campbell, Oregon’s Dan Lanning, and Washington‘s Kalen Deboer being the three top candidates.

Many agree that all three names would be a stretch, which leaves names like Mike Elko (Duke), Jeff Traylor (UTSA), or even Ole Miss‘ Lane Kiffin."

It's probably Elko or Traylor when the ink hits the contract.
Both are good coaches, with solid coaching backgrounds, but you just never know. That's a tough place to build a consistent winner at...
Lanning and Campbell? Urban must be smoking something. No damn way they even sniff at atm. LOL

DSHKEZ6UEAEy9g-.jpg

Significant coaching experience in Texas......check

Likes to do weird, even bizarre, things.........check

Has it in for the University of Texas...........check

Says stupid things to the media................check

Can beat the top teams in the SEC--even mighty Georgia.......check

Does not like The Eyes of Texas song................check

The ags may have just found their guy.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+