Coaching News and Rumors

While I understand the Dan Lanning approach, I don't buy that he'd touch the position with a 10-foot pole. Jimbo showed that even "royalty" among HC's can't get it done there.

Traylor I get. Elko too.

I can't remember Bubba's reaction at the time but I am sure he is now glad Riley is gone.
I'm happy now. I was irritated at HOW he left. Not that he left. He's never understood the soft side of human relations. He doesn't work hand in hand with the media or with the alumni and creates an us v. them scenario. I honestly think he would have had the high ground if he had not recruited players that were already committed to Oklahoma and not taken OU transfers. I'd actually have given him a pass on Caleb. He came to OU to play for LR. That's a little different than the others and Caleb played in the bowl game. At the time, I thought it was a smart move for LR. He could use the bright lights and NIL$ that LA affords to try to dominate the west coast. Turns out a NFL QB can only do so much, recruiting/developing OL/DL isn't as easy as the skilled positions and takes a little time; and he picked a DC that sucks. He'd have been smarter to eschew loyalty and reach out to a hot DC to turn the defensive keys over to him. Grinch D was soft and cocky (not a good combo). The move to the Big 10 surely shocked him a bit. And, Oregon bringing in Dan Lanning didn't help things much either.

Lincoln got a lot of credit for what Stoops built. Look at the 2017 team that went into OT with Georgia that they led 31-14 with :09 left in the first half. Mayfield, Hollywood Brown, Ceedee Lamb, Mark Andrews, Ben Powers, Orlando Brown, Bobby Evans - all NFL players on Offense and three NFL defensive players. They were loaded and should have won that game and played Bama for the title.

It would have been interesting to hear one of the reporters ask him directly if he was interested in the anm job. He never said he wasn't interested...

I'm happy now. I was irritated at HOW he left. Not that he left. He's never understood the soft side of human relations. He doesn't work hand in hand with the media or with the alumni and creates an us v. them scenario. I honestly think he would have had the high ground if he had not recruited players that were already committed to Oklahoma and not taken OU transfers. I'd actually have given him a pass on Caleb. He came to OU to play for LR. That's a little different than the others and Caleb played in the bowl game. At the time, I thought it was a smart move for LR. He could use the bright lights and NIL$ that LA affords to try to dominate the west coast. Turns out a NFL QB can only do so much, recruiting/developing OL/DL isn't as easy as the skilled positions and takes a little time; and he picked a DC that sucks. He'd have been smarter to eschew loyalty and reach out to a hot DC to turn the defensive keys over to him. Grinch D was soft and cocky (not a good combo). The move to the Big 10 surely shocked him a bit. And, Oregon bringing in Dan Lanning didn't help things much either.

Lincoln got a lot of credit for what Stoops built. Look at the 2017 team that went into OT with Georgia that they led 31-14 with :09 left in the first half. Mayfield, Hollywood Brown, Ceedee Lamb, Mark Andrews, Ben Powers, Orlando Brown, Bobby Evans - all NFL players on Offense and three NFL defensive players. They were loaded and should have won that game and played Bama for the title.
Riley might be a great offensive mind, but his departure with key players was ******.

If I was a betting man, I'd say Traylor. Not sure I'd want the chaos that comes with Tiffin, although I'm sure the ags would love watching him tweet BS at the Horns. Taylor wouldn't cost as much, IMO. But geez, what do I know. The Sark hiring shocked me when it happened, so for all I know Gerry Faust is headed to College Station.

Elko would probably be the strongest coach the ags might possibly get.

Traylor is a pretty good coach as well. He's done consistently well on a slightly smaller platform (of course, so did Franchioni).

I think Traylor is ready to go to aTm. He would be rebuilding next year at UTSA. Without his QB the whole UTSA program goes somewhat south. When he was injured UTSA got smoked by Army. They still haven’t won a bowl game.
I doubt Aggie understands all this.
The pressure and culture could be mind numbing or he could do okay. I’m sure his wife wants him there-lol. Easy money.

Who knows what Elko thinks about the A&M job. Jimbo seemed to try to lay a lot of the A&M woes on Elko when he was DC. You know it's NEVER Jimbo's fault; see also John Mackovic

I think Traylor isn't a big enough name nor makes a big enough splash for the Aggie $$$

Is Traylor another Charlie or Herman? Successful on the small platform, but not quite the same (peter principled; ask the late McCombs about HC v coordinators) when the lights are on real bright and the competition is top shelf?

Sabre
Ya know ,that is too bad about Traylor.
He has made it so obvious not sure if I were UTSA I'd be so eager or generous with money nw

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back