Coaching News and Rumors

Also, his ability to be so personable with the rabble that is the Bama fan base is endearing,
If only there were any other reddish color teams South of the Mason-Dixon Line with mostly rabble for a fan base.

If only...

I sure can't think of any.

SN
I have never heard that Saban didn't coach players up and that his 4/5s played down and the rest of his statement was complimentary of Saban. So I asked the question.

SN
You questioned me asking this.
Do You have examples of 4/5 Saban players competing down th 2/3?
I think you are misinterpreting the comment. The original comment was 4/5 players competing LIKE a 2/3 player (as in playing hungry). Not competing down. Exact quote below:

“his ability to get 4/5 stars to compete like they're 2/3 stars “

The more I think about it, the more I think Leipold declines if Mich St offers (which they probably won't).

Leipold may hold out for Wisconsin (#1) or Minnesota (#2). There, he will not be 2nd fiddle in the state. Also, while they are all Great Lakes states, his stomping ground (Minnesota and Wisconsin) is a lot different than the State of Michigan.

Further, Michigan State fans may have unrealistic hopes for being the '2nd fiddle in the state' school with a blue-blood big brother program. But we've never seen that before. If only there were other examples...

Last edited:
Michigan State fans may have unrealistic hopes for being the '2nd fiddle in the state' school with a blue-blood big brother program. But we've never seen that before. If only there were other examples...
So true, and an interesting parallel to The Cult in College Station. MSU gave Mel Tucker a $95 million, 10-year contract when they hired him. Sound familiar?

Florida makes sense on a two year ish time table. If the hype continues without competing for the Big 12 he'll leave while the getting is good. Anm still has a few years before they can buy him out and Petrino and Elco may have fans at aggie. I see Bama going after a Saban assistant, probably of his choosing. My guess is Sark is on that list.
LSU is a bad cultural fit and does not care if players can find the classroom. To his credit Deion does. I think OU will ultimately be hindered by NIL money inequities now that everyone can pay ANY amount. Venables may not last but he is a typical OU hire and it usually works. If anm drags their feet, Ou might go after Petrino and you know he would run to Norman or should I say ride?

Petrino and ou would have certainly been a fit

Bubba
Did you mean this? " His sustained success and his ability to get 4/5 stars to compete like they're 2/3 stars"
Yes. They play hungry. I think you have to have the right coach to manage the team chemistry when you start getting 4/5 star guys. Herman, Riley, jumbo off the top of my head are coaches that struggle with that.

WOW! Does anyone in Lansing know how to look "under the rug"? We all know the stuff that has been reported, but no way as long as someone can "pick up that rug", particularly after they fired the existing coach for "that cause".

I’d actually like this. No more Ohio State dominance. Michigan won’t run the table often either. And Penn State can forget about frequent future playoff appearances.

NEWSFLASH: Michigan legislature passes a new law under which anyone caught peeking under rugs in the state can be given the death penalty - no appeals.

I’d actually like this. No more Ohio State dominance. Michigan won’t run the table often either. And Penn State can forget about frequent future playoff appearances.
Me too. Keep him away from the SEC, and with a team that can break the stranglehold of MI and tOSU.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back