Coaching News and Rumors

I think Elko is #2 on the list behind the guy at Oregon State. Elko was an assistant to Kelly at ND, so he knows Midwest and Rust Belt recruiting. I can't believe Herman in is their Top 25, although he may be near the top of the list at Third Ward.

Is Leipold more likely to hold out for a better gig than being #2 in Michigan and #?? behind Michigan, Wisconsin, ND, & Ohio State in that area?

Aggies are upset that there's just not going to be a window for Elko until they get Jimbo's buyout down around the $50MM mark. He'll have a better job by then and won't need to go back to A&M.

Jonathan Smith from Oregon State is intriguing because of the conference realignments. No coach with a "Power-4-job-in-waiting" is going to want to hang out in the revamped MWC. I think the jury is still out on whether it's sustainable for programs to build/succeed from the portal (Colorado, TCU, etc.) versus actual HS recruiting.

Aggies are upset that there's just not going to be a window for Elko until they get Jimbo's buyout down around the $50MM mark. He'll have a better job by then and won't need to go back to A&M.

Jonathan Smith from Oregon State is intriguing because of the conference realignments. No coach with a "Power-4-job-in-waiting" is going to want to hang out in the revamped MWC. I think the jury is still out on whether it's sustainable for programs to build/succeed from the portal (Colorado, TCU, etc.) versus actual HS recruiting.
Aggy would be a place that would pay Prime the $.

You can dip in the portal a little but the longterm growth of your program has to be from recruits who grow up in your system. To put it into powdered drug terms from the 1980's - Portal is the crack to the HS recruits cocaine to the JUCO crank.

Bubba
Agree. To you point the Horns look like they are benefiting from stability in players.
To your analogy, are You speaking from personal experience? :fiestanana:

Bubba, the value of the Portal is you let someone else "train" the player for a year or two and then evaluate if you want him. Sanders will throw anyone out who doesn't produce each year and just replace them with "proven" guys through the Portal.

The issue is going to be the next guy at Colorado is going to have a mess on his hands, but that isn't Sanders' worry.

Bubba, the value of the Portal is you let someone else "train" the player for a year or two and then evaluate if you want him. Sanders will throw anyone out who doesn't produce each year and just replace them with "proven" guys through the Portal.

The issue is going to be the next guy at Colorado is going to have a mess on his hands, but that isn't Sanders' worry.
I think the weakness in depending on the portal is that you run the risk of getting players that didn't develop like they should have due to their own shortcomings. There are some that are moving up to a higher class of football. We have a few of those this year who are significant contributors (Bothroyd, Ford, big left tackle from Stanford, Dasan McCoullough). Some just didn't pan out at their last place like they thought they would (our TE Stogner). They also don't get a free transfer after they hit the portal. They either have to sit out or they have to graduate and be a grad transfer.

Sanders will leave it way better than he found it and I would expect that he might try to leave someone in his place to keep it rolling.

Don't tell anyone but I fear Prime going to the aggies. Aggies already have too many good athletes. Then if Prime ever went there. ooh, Don't want to see that.
Stay at Colorado Prime unless you want to come to the horns. Yeah baby!

Miami would be the logical ultimate destination for Prime Time.
(even though he's an FSU alum)

UCLA has some real potential for him as well.

Wherever he may go (if anywhere) must be a big jump up the food chain from Colorado.

Of course, CU has a lot more games left to play, and against better competition than they've faced thus far... Some of his luster may wear off. If, however, CU makes it through the meatgrinder with only 1-2 losses this year, then Deon will be the hot item coach.

:cu:
A West Coast Murderers' Row is coming up for the CU Buffs:

- #10 Oregon
- #5 USC
- Arizona State
- Stanford
- #22 UCLA
- #14 Oregon State

There could be anywhere from 1 to 4-5 losses in there.

:cu:
A West Coast Murderers' Row is coming up for the CU Buffs:

- #10 Oregon
- #5 USC
- Arizona State
- Stanford
- #22 UCLA
- #14 Oregon State

There could be anywhere from 1 to 4-5 losses in there.
4-5 losses is still a monumental step in the right direction for that program. They are well on their way to qualifying for a bowl game. There isn’t a CU fan alive that envisioned that after last season. If CU can’t capitalize on donations from this season, then they never will. Prime will be a hot target for multiple schools looking to hire a new coach.

their game against CSU was one of the most watched in years for any team. It was more watched than our game vs. Bama. With money being such a hot topic for schools these days, just the publicity alone would make him a valuable asset. Of course, he has to win eventually because the hype will only last so long.

Just my opinion, but first stop is likely Gainesville. He would cherish beating the Convicts & FSU every year.

Alabama? Can't & don't see that happening.

LSU? Depends on how much living in The Country Club feeds his ego.

A&M? Stick with Petrino and win. Will Adams let Deion build a house?

Nightmare! OU

Last edited:
Just my opinion, but first stop is likely Gainesville. He would cherish beating the Convicts & FSU every year.

Nightmare! OU
Maybe he likes the mountains?

I expect Brenda Tracy to get an invite to the aggy Kremlin soon.

Yeah, agree, I was just thinking a few days ago, I wonder if the ags could hire Brenda Tracy to have a phone conversation or two with Jimbo.

Nightmare! OU
Florida makes sense on a two year ish time table. If the hype continues without competing for the Big 12 he'll leave while the getting is good. Anm still has a few years before they can buy him out and Petrino and Elco may have fans at aggie. I see Bama going after a Saban assistant, probably of his choosing. My guess is Sark is on that list.
LSU is a bad cultural fit and does not care if players can find the classroom. To his credit Deion does. I think OU will ultimately be hindered by NIL money inequities now that everyone can pay ANY amount. Venables may not last but he is a typical OU hire and it usually works. If anm drags their feet, Ou might go after Petrino and you know he would run to Norman or should I say ride?

Maybe his team gets crushed the rest of the season and nobody cares.
I don’t see that happening. I didn’t think they would be 3-0; but since they are I can see cu going 6-6 or 7-5. 8-4 would be totally surprising.
I don’t think anyone will “crush them other than USC. They are disciplined, good fundamentally.
Losing Hunter is a huge loss.

I don’t see that happening. I didn’t think they would be 3-0; but since they are I can see cu going 6-6 or 7-5. 8-4 would be totally surprising.
I don’t think anyone will “crush them other than USC. They are disciplined, good fundamentally.
Losing Hunter is a huge loss.

They played a TCU team that decided to sit their defense for the game.
Never seen such poor tackling.
Then they play a Nebraska team still searching for anything resembling an offense.
Is CSU really that good? They coulda/shoulda won that game.
I'm not saying they haven't played well.
But I think the chips fell in place and they are lucky to be 3-0.
They may prove me wrong.
But if they get mudholed by Oregon and USC, that confidence and momentum may take a dark turn.

But if they get mudholed by Oregon and USC, that confidence and momentum may take a dark turn.
With CU’s offense I could see them staying in both games for 3 quarters. And getting mud holed by either or both teams isn’t necessarily an indictment. Lots of teams would get a beat down from USC and Oregon.

I’m still of the opinion that CU is a .500 team playing with a chip on its shoulder. And being a .500 team is light years ahead of where they were last year. If they make a bowl game, Coach Prime should get some Coach of the Year votes. Unless they totally crater the last 9 weeks of the year, this season is already an enormous success and CU will continue to be a topic of conversation into December. I totally applaud what they have going on over there.

Good point, moondog. I think it's very possible they get mudholed in both games. They can score, but their defense is questionable - and Oregon and USC both have the offensive firepower to put up very big numbers.

Betting on Narduzzi or Elko
Narduzzi needs to stay up North. If he can get a B1G head coaching job, more power to him.

I have heard he has the sort of personality that wouldn’t necessarily play well in the South (or even the West). That being said, Saban was a Michigan State guy. Wins can overcome cultural fit problems.

Narduzzi needs to stay up North. If he can get a B1G head coaching job, more power to him.

I have heard he has the sort of personality that wouldn’t necessarily play well in the South (or even the West). That being said, Saban was a Michigan State guy. Wins can overcome cultural fit problems.
Was thinking the same thing. What a journey for Saban. Crazy. I really think Saban is admired more by football fans at large than Bama fans.

Was thinking the same thing. What a journey for Saban. Crazy. I really think Saban is admired more by football fans at large than Bama fans.
Saban is for sure an outlier. This year will be a challenge for him. His sustained success and his ability to get 4/5 stars to compete like they're 2/3 stars and to have a positive locker room in that environment is impressive to me. Also, his ability to be so personable with the rabble that is the Bama fan base is endearing, and he has no need to actually be endearing due to his success. His picking up quality coaches who need a space for career rehab is also impressive. He saw an opportunity. The coaches like Sark, Stoops, Kiffin, etc. have given him their expertise and he's given them a new start. Unafraid to hire the best out there.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back