Coaching News and Rumors

Brings up an interesting question - How many coaches have been successful with a fair to middling QB? I think not many.
Plenty enough. At the highest level:

Lou Holtz
Fred Akers
Urban Meyer (at UF)
Nick Saban has done it with good, and with average, QBs.
Joe Paterno
Danny Ford

Creaky
It is his signature/ quote. It is not a statement in this forum.
You don't think he has as much right as you to choose a signature?

Consider the level of competition and eliminate Paterno. His "victims" would make the SEC blush. His "record wins" had 90%+ D-II or losing records. Couple that with the fact that the whiney, snively son of a ***** is the only coach at a major school that ran and hid from a game for the national championship. Then, he whimpers and whines like the little ***** he was about not receiving any consideration.

Consider the level of competition and eliminate Paterno. His "victims" would make the SEC blush. His "record wins" had 90%+ D-II or losing records. Couple that with the fact that the whiney, snively son of a ***** is the only coach at a major school that ran and hid from a game for the national championship. Then, he whimpers and whines like the little ***** he was about not receiving any consideration.
Remember it well. I never liked him after that whine-fest.

Your friends should be pissed at the cretin that hired Bjork instead of an experienced AD. Watch for a similar situation in Norman if Castiglione retires anytime soon.

Damn, Sabre. And you didn't even get to the whole sheltering a pedophile issue.

Joe's reputation, outside of central PA, is deservedly deplorable.

Damn, Sabre. And you didn't even get to the whole sheltering a pedophile issue.

Joe's reputation, outside of central PA, is deservedly deplorable.
I never liked Paterno from the beginning for all the reasons listed by Sabre and a few he didn't. Then there's all the Sandusky stuff. However for better or worse the overall perception of him is far above what it is on Hornfans. I could list several well-known names I've heard speak highly of him but someone would come along with a bunch of reasons every single one of them is a worthless piece of trash. That is I'm assuming with the exception of Mack Brown who praised him no end after his death. Guess I'm just kind of a stickler for reality.

Your signature is offensive and has no place in a sports forum.

It is his signature/ quote. It is not a statement in this forum.
You don't think he has as much right as you to choose a signature?

I had not noticed @Phil Elliott signature with the political quotes. I have asked other posters to change their avatar when it was clearly a provocative political image.

These things would be fine if their visibility were limited to the West Mall, but obviously they are not and it brings politics into the sports forums — maybe in a more subtle way, but still it is there, and there is no need to provoke your adversaries or make a political comment outside of WM.

So I ask anyone who has a politically-themed signature to please change it to align with Hornfans Posting Guidelines.

Thank you. :hookem:

I had not noticed @Phil Elliott signature with the political quotes. I have asked other posters to change their avatar when it was clearly a provocative political image.

These things would be fine if their visibility were limited to the West Mall, but obviously they are not and it brings politics into the sports forums — maybe in a more subtle way, but still it is there, and there is no need to provoke your adversaries or make a political comment outside of WM.

So I ask anyone who has a politically-themed signature to please change it to align with Hornfans Posting Guidelines.

Thank you. :hookem:

I tried to find a pic/meme that had it ALL mashed up in one to be hilarious...to no avail

The guy always turned my stomach. And the media at the time referring to him with reverence, and anointing him, so to speak. Nauseating.

Chop,

Danny Ford belongs on no list other than "bagman" or "cash delivered"' That guy cheated so bad he would make Barry and Jackie blush.
Plenty, and I mean plenty, of coaches were cheating in that era. Danny Ford won the National Championship with a so-so QB.

Paterno - not a person I like, but he did win a whole lot of games with mediocre QBs.

I think some are missing the broader point of this whole thing. The suggestion was thrown out that coaches don't win big without really good QBs. Well, that's factually inaccurate. Some do.

A few years ago I saw a Danny Ford interview from the year Clemson won the NC.
He was on the field or practice field. He gestured off toward the campus and admin buildings and said dead seriously IIRC. " I am not sure what all they do there but I am sure it is good".
I think that explained Ford very well

Danny Ford won because Charlie Pell and Willie left him the highest payroll in the Southeast and a schedule as hard as a bed of cotton candy. That crew almost got Clemson, Florida & Oklahoma State the death penalty.

Two teams that the media proclaimed "National Champions" that I shall NEVER recognize - BYU & the sons of clem. Neither deserved it nor played a schedule worthy of consideration.

A few years ago I saw a Danny Ford interview from the year Clemson won the NC.
He was on the field or practice field. He gestured off toward the campus and admin buildings and said dead seriously IIRC. " I am not sure what all they do there but I am sure it is good".
I think that explained Ford very well
Hmmmmm. Sounds a bit like Bill Yeoman.

IT mentioned this morning they'd be surprised if the new DL coach is not Rod Wright.

With the Houston Texans eliminated from the playoffs, you'd think that announcement happens this week.

Guess there is still some questions.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back