Coach PK & the mighty Texas D + the Return of DBU!!!!!!!!

Pom,

One of our problems is our safeties in the zone are playing about two blocks South of Round Rock

Hoop,

Add me to your "dishonest list" because under your thinking I may be the biggest liar of all time. Unless you are Rice and don't have the talent, "zone" is a four-letter word.

The three best guys to tell me who to go get as DC are dead, so I'm open to suggestions.

Pom,

One of our problems is our safeties in the zone are playing about two blocks South of Round Rock

Hoop,

Add me to your "dishonest list" because under your thinking I may be the biggest liar of all time. Unless you are Rice and don't have the talent, "zone" is a four-letter word.

The three best guys to tell me who to go get as DC are dead, so I'm open to suggestions.
On the 4th down play by KSU on their final drive at end of regulation (4th and 9?), there were 2 linebackers and the safety playing 5-10 yards behind the receiver who caught the ball for the first down.

36 yards of offense for KSU in the first 28 minutes, 324 yards in the last 32 minutes. I don't understand how or why our defense doesn't adjust to the opponents adjustments. We just keep doing the same crap on defense and should have cost us the game.
We sure seem to lack focus for a full 4 qtrs.

More FACTS:

We are #2 in the nation for 3rd down defense. 25.62% opponents’ conversion rate.

ONLY Utah is better. 24.76%.

NATIONAL RANKINGS:

:utah: #1

:ut:#2

On the 4th down play by KSU on their final drive at end of regulation (4th and 9?), there were 2 linebackers and the safety playing 5-10 yards behind the receiver who caught the ball for the first down.
Bingo. We had 4 players deeper than the receiver. We're basically playing 9 on 11 when we take our safeties out of the play. It's not as bad as Diaz where we'd wait 2 seconds than blitz a LB and vacate the spot they'd throw to, but it's not that far off.

That Swiss cheese with a huge multitude of holes blown through it………..that’s some of the whacko narratives about PK and our Defense around here.

That Swiss cheese with a huge multitude of holes blown through it………..that’s some of the whacko narratives about PK and our Defense around here.
Thing is we don't play this prevent most of the time. We just do it when we get up or like on the last drive against OU. So our stats look great, but as soon as we get more than 2 scores ahead you can pretty much guarantee the other team will go on a long drive. If what you're doing is working, just keep friggin doing it. There was too much time left to go ultra conservative after we got up 20.

Chop,

That statistic is wonderful for losers and Bill James, but when you continually blow leads about all that's goo far are the Monday morning discussion coffee groups trying to figure out why we lost or didn't cover.

Reminder - we won 30 games in a row & WE COVERED 29 OF THEM! That's the kind of stat I care about. The rest are for losers.

It’s good to see so many votes of confidence in Coach Pete Kwiatkowski on this dedicated thread.

:bevo::bevo::bevo::bevo:
:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

Last edited:
And PK sure has developed 3-star DT Sweat into an All-American candidate.

Coach K is the Defenseive Coordinator and outside linebacker coach.

Bo Davis is the D line coach.He gets the lions share of credit for developing D linemen.

The players are playing tough and with great heart. They aren’t committing excessive penalties. They don’t quit and tackle well. Coach K deserves credit for these things.
Bo Davis and Coach K deserve credit for superb
Recruiting.

bingo, and it goes to what I am saying when a wr comes into your area(zone)GET CLOSE TO HIM. OUR HIP SHOULD BE RUBBING THEIR HIP.. don't be 3,4,5 yards away. Make the QB hold the ball. This leads to what is called "coverage sacks".
So I wonder are our safeties too slow? If so, then we need faster safeties.

Texas has played 2 teams in the top 30 in total offense. They lost to 1 and barely beat the other. The 3rd will be this Saturday.

34th in total defense is not good considering the offenses Texas has played, and especially not good considering recruiting rankings.

Sabre
Thank you. "One of our problems is our safeties in the zone are playing about two blocks South of Round Rock"

I never played so maybe do not understand the nuances but even I can figure out if a receiver is 5-10 yds wide open it is easier to catch a pass.

Pom,

One of the greatest safeties to play for the Horns or anyone else was Jerry Gray. Everyone thinks he was sooo fast. Jerry was 4.6, yet caught Bo Jackson from "behind". He was a student of the game and studied film to know what's coming.

A great treat was seeing him watching the Cowboys Sunday afternoon in Jester. Listening to him "teach" was akin to taking to Billy Graham about The Bible.

Are we teaching?
Are we learning?
Are we progressing?
Are we watching film?

PK had this team ready to stop the best run offense in the conference and top 5 in country. 33 yards. Allowed. Safety spot is a weakness. Right now, the recipe to beat Texas is throw the ball 50 times and ditch your game plan. No more 2 high safeties. Line up in man or cover 3 and let your athletes play. Also defense deserves flowers for the OT bow up. Consider this my vote of confidence. I wonder if some position coaches in the back end will turn over this year.

Whom on the "back end" would you send "packing"? The assistants are handcuffed by their boss. They can suggest, discuss, but ultimately the OC & DC are in control.

Herman would have liked you. You only focus on numbers while ignoring the lack of effective defense in critical moments of a game.
With all due respect - what the hell are you talking about? If you want me to focus on numbers, I will: 8-1 (first time in almost 15 years - 2009 team). The 2008 team did it before that and, of course, the 2005 team did it. After that you have to go back a bit, to Fred Akers.

Also, one other stat to share (8-1 Texas teams):
Points per game 2005: 50.2 / points against: 16.3
Points per game 2008: 42.4 / points against: 18.7
Points per game 2009: 39.9 / points against: 16.7
Points per game 2023: 34.3 (albeit only 9 games) / points against: 17.6

Offense can take the pressure off of defenses, right? So let's look at the last four Texas 8-1 squads. In 2005 we had one of the best college QBs of all time and in '08 and '09, we had one of the best college football QBs of all time. ALL TIME. Not only that, in each of those years - those dudes were in their primes. Colt McCoy (redshirt Junior) had a passer rating of 173.8 in 2008 with nearly 4000 yards passing and 34 TDs. 2009 wasn't quite as good (I laugh as I say it). Vince? He was a redshirt Junior, too, and all of us remember how that worked out. That's not even mentioning the other players we had back then and those secondaries were stacked.

Anyway, for a team with young QBs playing and/or backups, that has has struggled with injuries in key areas, and is prone to miscues and penalties on both sides of the ball - this looks pretty good to me. 8-1? That's happened four times in nearly four decades. I'll take it. You can keep your binder. :smile1:

You clearly choose to ignore the 4th quarter sieve that Texas calls a defense. A goose's colon does a better job of containing poop than Texas does at stopping opponents late.

There is no sense of urgency nor a late killer instinct on display. Texas was fortunate that wheat aggy performed so poorly in their kicking game AND then decided to go for the win instead of OT2.

It's all fine and dandy to blame the turnovers for shorter fields but the offense wasn't giving up one-play touchdown drives and letting KSU drive the length of the field late..

With all due respect - what the hell are you talking about? If you want me to focus on numbers, I will: 8-1 (first time in almost 15 years - 2009 team). The 2008 team did it before that and, of course, the 2005 team did it. After that you have to go back a bit, to Fred Akers.

Offense can take the pressure off of defenses, right? So let's look at the last four Texas 8-1 squads. In 2005 we had one of the best college QBs of all time and in '08 and '09, we had one of the best college football QBs of all time. ALL TIME. Not only that, in each of those years - those dudes were in their primes. Colt McCoy (redshirt Junior) had a passer rating of 173.8 in 2008 with nearly 4000 yards passing and 34 TDs. 2009 wasn't quite as good (I laugh as I say it). Vince? He was a redshirt Junior, too, and all of us remember how that worked out. That's not even mentioning the other players we had back then and those secondaries were stacked.

Anyway, for a team with young QBs playing and/or backups, that has has struggled with injuries in key areas, and is prone to miscues and penalties on both sides of the ball - this looks pretty good to me. 8-1? That's happened four times in nearly four decades. I'll take it. You can keep your binder. :smile1:
Texas was 8-1 in 1990, 2001, 2002, 2004, and 2006 as well.

I do agree, though, sitting at 8-1 is a pretty darn good place to be sitting.

PK had this team ready to stop the best run offense in the conference and top 5 in country. 33 yards. Allowed. Safety spot is a weakness. Right now, the recipe to beat Texas is throw the ball 50 times and ditch your game plan. No more 2 high safeties. Line up in man or cover 3 and let your athletes play. Also defense deserves flowers for the OT bow up. Consider this my vote of confidence. I wonder if some position coaches in the back end will turn over this year.

Thanks for noting how superb our run defense is. It’s top ten in the country.
Many of us are simply pointing out that there is a stark difference in the pass defense from the run defense.
We have an above average front four. We have good linebackers and D backs. This bunch plays tough, tight run defense. They show aggressiveness, athleticism, speed and tackle well.
They bring the same physical skills when their opponents pass. What changes is the scheme Coach K calls. It is typically not aggressive—rush 3(maybe 4), soft zone, safeties way back. They rarely pressure with 5 or 6 in obvious passing situations. QB’s sit back and wait for receivers to find space. The result is a talented hard nosed bunch ranked in the bottom half of B12 and national pass defense. It cost us a victory against an inferior ou team and almost cost us the ksu game.
If K doesn’t change it to a more aggressive scheme it will cost us another game.

Last edited:
Thanks for noting how superb our run defense is. It’s top ten in the country.
Many of us are simply pointing out that there is a stark difference in the pass defense from the run defense.
We have an above average front four. We have good linebackers and D backs. This bunch plays tough, tight run defense. They show aggressiveness, athleticism, speed and tackle well.
They bring the same physical skills when their opponents pass. What changes is the scheme Coach K calls. It is typically not aggressive—rush 3(maybe 4), soft zone, safeties way back. They rarely pressure with 5 or 6 in obvious passing situations. QB’s sit back and wait for receivers to find space. The result is a talented hard nosed bunch ranked in the bottom half of B12 and national pass defenses. It’s cost us a victory against an inferior ou team and almost cost us the ksu game.
If K doesn’t change it to a more aggressive scheme it will cost us another game.
I'd rather get burned occasionally than have teams just drive right down the field at 20-30 per play uninhibited scoring at will, which is what KSU and UH did for almost half a game.

I'd rather get burned occasionally than have teams just drive right down the field at 20-30 per play uninhibited scoring at will, which is what KSU and UH did for almost half a game.
And ou drove the length of the field in 75 seconds with no time outs for the win .

You clearly choose to ignore the 4th quarter sieve that Texas calls a defense. A goose's colon does a better job of containing poop than Texas does at stopping opponents late.

There is no sense of urgency nor a late killer instinct on display. Texas was fortunate that wheat aggy performed so poorly in their kicking game AND then decided to go for the win instead of OT2.

It's all fine and dandy to blame the turnovers for shorter fields but the offense wasn't giving up one-play touchdown drives and letting KSU drive the length of the field late..
I'll put you down for a Coach PK visor.

:D

Cary,

My biggest problem with K is his inability to get the defensive play called in time. On OU's final play, the defense is looking to the sideline when OU comes to the line. They had two WRs lined up on the left side. When the ball was snapped, we had one DB to cover both while Gbenda is looking at the sideline waiting for signals to be sent in. Ball is snapped, one WR goes to back corner and other goes one yard deep. Gbenda is still standing there 20 yards away while ball is in the air.

This is not a rant on Gbenda, the kid was handcuffed by indecision by his coach, which is the story of our season.

Another way to look at it: our defense is only a concern because of our low efficiency in the red zone. If we were scoring 10 more points per game, the defensive issues are moot.

Texas was 8-1 in 1990, 2001, 2002, 2004, and 2006 as well.
My apologies; you're right. I was trying to emphasize how long it's been since we've had an 8-1 team and got lost in the details late night because mb triggered me with his Tom Herman comment. :smile1:

In any case, those teams played 2-3 decades ago. And not to change the topic, since I meant this as a mea culpa only - but I'd say this year's team is better than all of those with the exception of 1990.

Last edited:

You can complain about anything you want here, obvi - it's hornfans (yay internet!). If it were me complaining about this team (and now I am), I would complain about the redzone offense over anything the defense has done this year. I know this is slightly off topic for this thread, so maybe we should start a thread for all the Texas offense apologists? :beertoast:

In the one loss we have so far this year - Texas had THREE TRIES to run it in from the one yard line and then Texas couldn't convert on fourth down. After that play, I would agree that the defense sucked. I don't know why you go away from something that had been working ALL game into some wacky zone dropback prevent ****. Buuuuuuut, make that touchdown and...well, nobody is likely blaming the defense and we are celebrating a victory in Dallas. This is a systemic issue because it has showed up in pretty much every game so far.

The Longhorns are 8-1 and have beat 3 top 25 teams and the scoring defense is ranked like 16. Give me more of that.

Last edited:

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back