Coach PK & the mighty Texas D + the Return of DBU!!!!!!!!

One thing I know is that we're a different defense with Ryan Watts in there.
Manny Muhammad is playing better (Watts back-up). He looked very relaxed out there yesterday. We need Catalon back too for run support.

I suspect BYU ran their typical offense whereas OU and UH might have run an offense different from what was on tape.
This is a good point. And relevant to the game this week. Ksu is a well prepared team and accustomed to playing in big games on a big stage.
Ksu runs a very unusual offense. Part single wing, running their QB more than just about anyone else. And throwing enough to keep defenses guessing and off balance.
They have scored 41 against each of their last two opponents.

Coach K has to scheme a smart disciplined plan to keep them below 25 points. I don’t think our offense will score over 25. Malik is inexperienced and ksu will throw any and everything at him to confuse him and create turnovers.

Some won't give compliments unless it's an all time performance.

Our defense gave up 6 points in conference play. I smh at most of you.

Last edited:
This is a good point. And relevant to the game this week. Ksu is a well prepared team and accustomed to playing in big games on a big stage.
Ksu runs a very unusual offense. Part single wing, running their QB more than just about anyone else. And throwing enough to keep defenses guessing and off balance.

Coach K has to scheme a smart disciplined plan to keep them below 25 points. I don’t think our offense will score over 25. Malik is inexperienced and ksu will throw any and everything at him to confuse him and create turnovers.
Have to agree on KSU. Again a running qb in the freshman but so far they have been a very well prepared team each time I have seen them play over the last few years. Cannot say the same about our team and that by itself is BS. We have 300lb+ lineman and at the goal line we just cannot change the line of scrimmage. Not sure why that is. Perhaps play call or coaching or just not as good as I/we think. Either way this red zone catastrophe has to be resolved. ou exposed this D and coog high did as well. Yes there were injuries related to both games but I dont believe we are limited in players based on how Sark has recruited. If it takes several years to learn pk's d as some have suggested then its too complicated. Hate seeing our d waving hands at the sidelines for the call. Penalties yesterday did a number on us as well. Sark was pissed but it wasnt the same guy each time. Really a lack of mental focus and thats concerning 7+ games into the season. Glad we do not play okstate this year!

A good game by our DEs may be the key.

As a matter of comparison, in 1993, Leon Fuller’s Texas Longhorn D gave up 24.5 points per game.

And that was in a MUCH lower scoring era.

Kwiatkowski (at 16.0 points per game) is stacking up pretty well with some of our all time greats.

But let’s not let the facts spoil a good narrative…

:bevo::bevo::bevo::bevo:

Last edited:
I remember when the drums wanted PK out on a rail and now many are in his camp.

I wont say I was early on board but I will say there are a number of times I have been glad he is the coach and not someone else.

Still not one better than Coach Boom, other than Gene C,

The risk of blitzing the qb means Brooks has big runs or screen passes for long distance. Or they play one man per receiver. Very risky

Have to agree on KSU. Again a running qb in the freshman but so far they have been a very well prepared team each time I have seen them play over the last few years. Cannot say the same about our team and that by itself is BS. We have 300lb+ lineman and at the goal line we just cannot change the line of scrimmage. Not sure why that is. Perhaps play call or coaching or just not as good as I/we think. Either way this red zone catastrophe has to be resolved. ou exposed this D and coog high did as well. Yes there were injuries related to both games but I dont believe we are limited in players based on how Sark has recruited. If it takes several years to learn pk's d as some have suggested then its too complicated. Hate seeing our d waving hands at the sidelines for the call. Penalties yesterday did a number on us as well. Sark was pissed but it wasnt the same guy each time. Really a lack of mental focus and thats concerning 7+ games into the season. Glad we do not play okstate this year!
Most of the penalties were motion penalties on offense. That is expected with a young QB.

Remember, BYU is not a passing offense. They didn’t feature a skilled throwing QB and their WRs don't strike fear in the hearts of CBs.

Watts’ strength is against the run. Additionally, I believe that he played sparingly. Don’t get me wrong, he’s a good player, and outstanding in run support.

He's a boundary corner which is your best corner.

Rick coached in Europe primarily so his wife and daughters could tour there for free during the summer.

As for 1993 & Leon, you saddle anyone that group of defensive "coaches" and it's a wonder we didn't have 50 score on us every game

Still not a fan. We should have had more possessions. Letting the other team control possession time is not a good defensive plan.

Still not a fan. We should have had more possessions. Letting the other team control possession time is not a good defensive plan.
BYU had one possession in the 2nd quarter that lasted over 10 minutes. It ended up as a FG. At that point Texas was up 14-3 and then went on to score before the half to go up 21-3. That drive was a losing trade for BYU.

Texas has only faced 1 top 20 offensive team and lost that game. Over the next 2 weeks they will face 2 more. Ask me after the TCU game.

Hoping we have a solid showing from the D and we are all happy by mid afternoon on Saturday. Now also hoping we have a better showing from the O as well. Texas is more than talented to win this game but kstate is also a solid team.

I am concerned about our linebackers and PK's tendency to go soft zone when he is worried about the opposing team's running game. Our lb's seem to stare into the backfield to the exclusion of everything else and start to move towards the line leaving the middle of the field wide open for slants and crossing patterns. KSU running game also stretches the field side to side so the linebackers must stay disciplined and not get influenced and take themselves out of the play or take bad angles. The line can minimize this by Sweatt and Murphy et al wrecking shop up front and the ends setting a hard edge, easier said than done against a pretty good o-line. If PK has the defense sit back, look for KSU to have a few 6+ minute drives. Attack, Attack, Attack.

I am concerned about our linebackers and PK's tendency to go soft zone when he is worried about the opposing team's running game. Our lb's seem to stare into the backfield to the exclusion of everything else and start to move towards the line leaving the middle of the field wide open for slants and crossing patterns. KSU running game also stretches the field side to side so the linebackers must stay disciplined and not get influenced and take themselves out of the play or take bad angles. The line can minimize this by Sweatt and Murphy et al wrecking shop up front and the ends setting a hard edge, easier said than done against a pretty good o-line. If PK has the defense sit back, look for KSU to have a few 6+ minute drives. Attack, Attack, Attack.
at the snap when the oline drops back (pass protection) then the LBs know immediately it's a pass so they won't get sucked up toward the LOS.

So... The overall was about what I thought.

In the micro, dominant early, and only two bad plays in the first half.

Lost our pass rush for most of the 2nd half. But it came back in OT.

Totally shut down their running game. But pass defense was marginal.

If all that had been sprinkled throughout, it would have been about what I thought it would be

36 yards of offense for KSU in the first 28 minutes, 324 yards in the last 32 minutes. I don't understand how or why our defense doesn't adjust to the opponents adjustments. We just keep doing the same crap on defense and should have cost us the game.

36 yards of offense for KSU in the first 28 minutes, 324 yards in the last 32 minutes. I don't understand how or why our defense doesn't adjust to the opponents adjustments. We just keep doing the same crap on defense and should have cost us the game.

Do you think great at pre game prep and worse at in game adjustments?

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back