Coach PK & the mighty Texas D + the Return of DBU!!!!!!!!

There was ZERO energy on the field nor by the Texas fans after we went up 21-0. The stadium seemed really quiet until UH scored their 2nd TD then a buzz started.

I dont care what the stat line showed, QE was part of the problem. I swear he refused to throw to open receivers downfield. Maybe it was the injury making him check down to the closest open guy, but I'm not sure when that happened.

If he was injured and Sark knew it that's a major issue for me to leave him in and continue to call that game plan.

It was not the injury that caused Ewers to miss seeing wide open receivers, his does this constantly every week. This is the unseen stat. When a WR is running a deep post 15 yards behind the deepest DB from blown coverage and Ewers successfully throws a 6 yard curl, we all clap that Ewers gets credited with a completion. Maybe he even moves the chains, but a TD opportunity was missed. Until OU, I had not really noticed it but a couple of times this year (because I was being a fan and wasn't looking for it), but sitting in the nose bleed section at the Cotton Bowl I saw the entire field in my view each play and was shocked how players were wide open on deeper routes over and over the entire game and he didn't throw to them. Amazingly, the ones he did throw deep were to receivers that typically had a DB in tow. I watched for it against UH and there is was again, over and over. Ewers doesn't see the entire field, especially with any type of pressure, even perceived pressure like the last two games when he stopped looking downfield and started looking for an exit despite having several seconds left to throw and ended up taking a sack. As juxtaposition, think about the last OU offensive play when we brought the house from both sides, caved in the pocket from both sides right up to Gabriel and moved a step to his left, never taking his eyes away from downfield and threw that winning TD as the pocket caved in on him.

Ewers cannot do that, at least not yet and certainly not consistently. He is a good QB prospect and a good kid, but he is still developing. Being able to do what Gabriel did against us is a key for an NFL QB. Happy feet and taking your eyes away from down field are rarity mistakes for an NFL QB. I don't think he will get a really good draft score in January, and if he gets one good enough for him to declare, it will be because he has enough raw talent some team is willing to take a chance on him developing. Personally, I expect him the be our QB again in 2024.

Nice post Orange. Sitting up in NEZ I have noticed and posted same, many times open receivers running nearly free and Ewers throws into a tight window instead. Never been a college, or even a HS quarterback but I know it’s a tough spot to be in with 300 pounders coming at you nevertheless I can tell you what I see and that’s missing the open receiver. It’s all a matter of reading and reacting to what is given by the defense. Tough job but the good ones do it.

It was not the injury that caused Ewers to miss seeing wide open receivers, his does this constantly every week. This is the unseen stat. When a WR is running a deep post 15 yards behind the deepest DB from blown coverage and Ewers successfully throws a 6 yard curl, we all clap that Ewers gets credited with a completion. Maybe he even moves the chains, but a TD opportunity was missed. Until OU, I had not really noticed it but a couple of times this year (because I was being a fan and wasn't looking for it), but sitting in the nose bleed section at the Cotton Bowl I saw the entire field in my view each play and was shocked how players were wide open on deeper routes over and over the entire game and he didn't throw to them. Amazingly, the ones he did throw deep were to receivers that typically had a DB in tow. I watched for it against UH and there is was again, over and over. Ewers doesn't see the entire field, especially with any type of pressure, even perceived pressure like the last two games when he stopped looking downfield and started looking for an exit despite having several seconds left to throw and ended up taking a sack. As juxtaposition, think about the last OU offensive play when we brought the house from both sides, caved in the pocket from both sides right up to Gabriel and moved a step to his left, never taking his eyes away from downfield and threw that winning TD as the pocket caved in on him.

Ewers cannot do that, at least not yet and certainly not consistently. He is a good QB prospect and a good kid, but he is still developing. Being able to do what Gabriel did against us is a key for an NFL QB. Happy feet and taking your eyes away from down field are rarity mistakes for an NFL QB. I don't think he will get a really good draft score in January, and if he gets one good enough for him to declare, it will be because he has enough raw talent some team is willing to take a chance on him developing. Personally, I expect him the be our QB again in 2024.
He certainly missed a wide open Mitchell in the end zone when Texas was on the 9 or so. Instead he threw an uncatchable ball to Worthy, probably just avoiding a sack.

I have been saying the same things also.
Ewers use to throw the deep ball a lot but would often miss by a country mile. Now, he has been groomed(IMO) to throw those short outs which can be good (moves the chains) but we miss out on the big plays. This is why our avg score is lower than what it should be. Sark has been conservative.
But perhaps things might change assuming Ewers is out.
Maybe Murphy is a more accurate downfield thrower, I don't know. Chances are though we still play small ball.
One thing is for sure though(I think going forward) is that the rbs will get more carries, which I think most of us like.

Last edited:
There was plenty of space to stretch out and move around at our fan club meeting this week.

focused-handsome-young-man-holding-drink-popcorn-basket-watching-movie-alone-empty-theater-auditorium-focused-208714255.jpg

One thing is for sure though(I think going forward) is that the rbs will get more carries, which I think most of us like.
I agree. And I think there may be some called qb runs. Might even see a form of roll with the option to pass forward, keep, or lateral.
Malik has a different skill set (not saying better) than Quinn. Sark will respect that and eventually scheme for it. Maybe as early as this week.

I have been saying the same things also.
Ewers use to throw the deep ball a lot but would often miss by a country mile. Now, he has been groomed(IMO) to throw those short outs which can be good (moves the chains) but we miss out on the big plays. This is why our avg score is lower than what it should be. Sark has been conservative.
But perhaps things might change assuming Ewers is out.
Maybe Murphy is a more accurate downfield thrower, I don't know. Chances are though we still play small ball.
Hate to invoke Greg Davis and the infamous 3 yard sideways pass but you cannot dispute that the qb's could read defenses or they were incredibly lucky. So far, QE does not appear to have that skill set. I think his guidance is more of this is where this route should have openings. Just wish we didnt see open receivers just out of view of the tv playing field and our qb throwing into double coverage.

I spared this group my annual UT emotional support fan template i submit in mid August.
But it’s time I dusted it off.
“We need to fire (insert Offensive or Defensive Coordinator Name). He cannot adjust to the game on the field. His stats last week were (copy and paste passing, rushing, red zone, or whatever one or two stats proves your point).

(Insert Starting QB name) is terrible. He can’t hit (select one: short, medium, long routes). He (select one runs, passes) when he should (select one run, pass) insert QB2 name here should start even though i’ve attended zero practices and rode the bench in jr high, I know better than (insert Head Coach Name)

Heres a little stat for my esteemed colleagues here.
The Texas D is allowing 16 points per game this season . 16!.

Last year 21.7 PPG
2021 31.1 PPG
2020 28.5
2019 27.5

Last edited:
My view is that we have exceptional talent, a great D Line, and are playing hard, but we get confused on who to cover and people get left wide open.
It needs to be simplified for them.

I spared this group my annual UT emotional support fan template i submit in mid August.
But it’s time I dusted it off.
“We need to fire (insert Offensive or Defensive Coordinator Name). He cannot adjust to the game on the field. His stats last week were (copy and paste passing, rushing, red zone, or whatever one or two stats proves your point).

(Insert Starting QB name) is terrible. He can’t hit (select one: short, medium, long routes). He (select one runs, passes) when he should (select one run, pass) insert QB2 name here should start even though i’ve attended zero practices and rode the bench in jr high, I know better than (insert Head Coach Name)

The Texas D is allowing 17 points per game this season . Seventeen.

Last year 21.7 PPG
2021 31.1 PPG
2020 28.5
2019 27.5

Wake up you yardbirds.
If we held UH to 17 points last week, I think there would have been less angst over the victory, and probably more criticism of the offense though we know now that Ewers was hurt.

If we held UH to 17 points last week, I think there would have been less angst over the victory, and probably more criticism of the offense though we know now that Ewers was hurt.
In the overused words of a prominent person on TV.
Let me be clear… i had to apologize to my neighbors in the 4th quarter watching the wide open crossing routes as I yelled “SOB!!!” as they were decorating for Halloween with their kids.
windows closed , it mattered not as I saw them all jump in terror.
So I do understand.
I just think its not on PK as much as the musical chairs game due to injuries.

The Texas D is allowing 17 points per game this season . Seventeen.
That number, 17, is deceptive. We have played two teams with proficient of reasonably proficient passing offenses. In those games, the point average is 29. We lost one, and almost lost the other. The opponent average passing yardage in those two games was 331.

I have a positive opinion of PK, and his run defensive scheme is very effective. However, that is not the case against the pass.

The backend is loaded with talented players, most highly rated, and three, coveted transfers. True, there were injuries against Houston, but what about Oklahoma?

This is mostly a pass defense scheme issue and if he doesn’t get it fixed quickly, we will all be very disappointed.

Uh, one week ago in Houston three td's, all passes, were "allowed by PK" .
Two weeks ago ou scored a passel of TD's , all allowed by PK.
Wow, my mistake my brain was thinking that the D held 2 B12 opponents to no TDs…yet I wrote that?
I have no idea how I wrote that.

Another great performance by Coach PK and the Texas D. Shut down BYU and their high powered passing offense. Held them to a measly 6 points!!!!

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

We are now giving up only 16 points per game!!! THAT’S RIGHT—16 POINTS PER GAME!!!

What a defense!

Eat crow naysayers!!!

PK is doing a great job!

:ut::ut::ut::ut:

Last edited:
One thing I know is that we're a different defense with Ryan Watts in there.
Remember, BYU is not a passing offense. They didn’t feature a skilled throwing QB and their WRs don't strike fear in the hearts of CBs.

Watts’ strength is against the run. Additionally, I believe that he played sparingly. Don’t get me wrong, he’s a good player, and outstanding in run support.

Another great performance by Coach PK and the Texas D. Shut down BYU and their high powered passing offense. Held them to a measly 6 points!!!!

BYU is a decent team. They have a good defense and a balanced offense. Neither their run game nor their passing game are high powered. Holding them with out a td is a fine thing but doesn’t mean the Horns defense is elite—an elite defense would not have allowed Houston 3 passing td’s.

Houston put up 24 and were it not for a crazy favorable spot in the red zone late in the game likely would have scored more.

I’m still suffering from PTSD from the Defense’s Debacles at the end of both halves of the ou game which Caused our loss. So I won’t speak of that game again until my therapist says it’s okay.:beertoast:

I love ya Chop. I love your positivity. But I have seen elite defenses in burnt orange, but this one has a ways to go before they can be considered elite.

Last edited:
Chop,

The crow can stay in your freezer until I see a Leon Fuller/Rick Lantz defensive performance. We have won seven games, four against coaches that will likely be unemployed January 1.

Yesterday, the kids had a new hunger, desire, and attitude. There wasn't the usual
what defense do we run at the snap of the ball. That was refreshing and a marked improvement. There is so much talent out there that while pleased, I am not satisfied.

"Before you can won, you gotta defend" - Rick Lantz

Last edited:
until I see a Leon Fuller/Rick Lantz defensive performance.
Yep, we've had a some top notch D-Coordinators. You know those two were coaching college defenses in an era where rushing attacks, options, wishbones, and Power-I formations dominated the college football scene...

Teams just didn't score that much back then.

Lantz (an East Coast coach) was coaching in Europe before the spread offenses came to dominate the college football scene.

Chop,
Yesterday, the kids had a new hunger, desire, and attitude. There wasn't the usual
what defense do we run at the snap of the ball. Lantz
I agree ^^^. Yesterday the BYU offense was confused by our defense; not the other way around. This is the first time I have seen our defense confusing our opponent’s offense this year. This needs to be the rule, not the exception.
If our D holds ksu under 16, then we can begin a serious conversation about whether it is playing to it’s potential and/or considered elite.

Last edited:
BYU's QB Slovis has 11,689 yards passing and 80 touchdowns in college football.

:byu:
He is playing in his sixth year. He is decent, a good guy, and tough. He’s not going to be all conference. He’s not playing against top teams on a consistent basis.He would not be starting qb at UT, ou, tcu, ttu, osu, ku, ISU, Tn, ksu, Bama, etc.

Chop,

The crow can stay in your freezer until I see a Leon Fuller/Rick Lantz defensive performance. We have won seven games, four against coaches that will likely be unemployed January 1.

what defense do we run at the snap of the ball. That was refreshing and a marked improvement. There is so much talent out there that while pleased, I am not satisfied.

"Before you can won, you gotta defend" - Rick Lantz
Yeah I noticed the defense had time to be set, and time to shift if needed.

I agree ^^^. Yesterday the BYU offense was confused by our defense; not the other way around. This is the first time I have seen our defense confusing our opponent’s offense this year. This needs to be the rule, not the exception.
If our D holds ksu under 16, then we can begin a serious conversation about whether it is playing to it’s potential and/or considered elite.
I suspect BYU ran their typical offense whereas OU and UH might have run an offense different from what was on tape.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back