Boyer' open letter to Kaepernick

You not only misjudged the audience but the effectiveness of the league response as well. That's the rare two-fer. I dont shock very easy at this age but the fact that you think the NFL is only casually concerned with declining TV ratings did shock me. Sometimes I wonder how you guys manage to get though the day all on your own.

I'll never understand the need to get personal when ones ideas are challenged. If your ideas don't stand up to scrutiny maybe they should be reevaluated?

Wow...they are really bad. ;) Clearly the player protests last year didn't stop the snowflakes from buying tickets this year.
hi-res-136066466_crop_north.jpg
As the article states 2012 was mostly due to the economy. The protests didn't get as much national attention last year as this year. You can bet you're going to see another big dip in attendance next year. You still can't explain to me why the college game isn't being affected. The elephant is in the room but you continue to ignore it.

The Pats traded Garoppolo

Opening for your hero flag squatter?

Kraft did voice empathy for him

Uhm, no

This may drive them completely nuts

Last edited:
There are a few of you people here who have not been exactly nice to Joe over the years so I don't think you have much room to complain.

Thanks but I dont mind. Truth is I even enjoy the 'it takes a village' aspect to it. It's like my own mini-version of Ann Coulter vs. Bill Maher +3.

ESPN is considering dropping NFL football?

If this is true, my quick translation is that the salary cap will decline in the future. Potentially by a big margin once the next round of TV deals goes through. Old players wont care as they will have already made their money. But the younger ones will, as will those not even in the league yet. And they will have no one but themselves to blame

“ ..... Impossible”? Yeah, we know — NFL games have been the backbone of ESPN’s existence since 1987, and the biggest, most critical element of its financial dominance ever since. The network basically can’t exist without an NFL rights package.

Well, think again — like some execs at the network have started to do — and consider the following:

First, quietly, ESPN has been able to pull off a dramatic judo move in recent agreements with its affiliates, one whose importance cannot be overstated: There is no longer specific contract language that requires the cable giant to have NFL games in order to earn its lofty (and industry-envied) subscriber fees, currently more than $7 per household. This means the network would not face automatic decreases in that vital artery of its dual revenue stream. Sure, distributors would be aghast, demanding to negotiate lower fees probably immediately, but the point is, there would be negotiations, enabling ESPN to do everything it could to keep those numbers as high as possible.

Second, when ESPN agreed to pay $15.2 billion for its current Monday Night Football deal, some of its key executives believed they were buying the schedule of the previous MNF package, i.e., more often than not, the best game or at least one of the top games of the week. But Sunday Night Football got that pedigree, and Fox and CBS games since then have also generally been more desirable than ESPN’s matchups. With the advent of Thursday Night Football several years ago, ESPN’s Monday night schedule has been further diluted of quality matchups, and the network hasn't been shy about voicing dissatisfaction. ...."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/why-espn-could-abandon-nfl-football-guest-column-1052792

I'll never understand the need to get personal when ones ideas are challenged. If your ideas don't stand up to scrutiny maybe they should be reevaluated?

In case you didn't realize this, obviously this entire discussion has nothing to do with the NFL. That's a sideshow. This is a proxy for discussing Donald Trump's cock size. That's why they take it personally if you disagree with them. By bringing up other factors to account for the drop in ratings, you're telling them that Donald Trump isn't the only reason the ratings have dropped and that therefore cock isn't as big as they think it is. They don't want to hear that. They're telling you he's hung like a horse, and you're saying, "I'm not so sure about that."

My only thought with that factoid was how the Astros game was the most kick-*** World Series game in the history of all humanity. I hope and your two reflexive auto-likes were able to enjoy

I saw an interesting breakdown of the ratings on Mike and Mike this morning. The World Series ratings spiked right as the NFL game ended. I haven’t seen hour-by-hour comparison, but part of the MLB edge was that it had a solo window while the NFL did not. Also, as you point out, part of the MLB edge was that the game was so good.

Good grief. The league does not know what its doing. All it has managed to do to date is equivocate and trip over itself. You not only misjudged the audience but the effectiveness of the league response as well. That's the rare two-fer.[

When did I judge the league’s response, much less misjudge it? I agree that the league’s response has been rather clumsy.

I dont shock very easy at this age but the fact that you think the NFL is only casually concerned with declining TV ratings did shock me. Sometimes I wonder how you guys manage to get though the day all on your own.

I never said the NFL’s concerns about failing ratings are casual. I’m sure the league is very concerned about this huge, potentially devastating issue. Where I disagree with you is (a) the degree to which the ratings drops are caused by the kneeling issue, and (b) the existence of counterbalancing concerns, such as labor unrest.

Sometimes I wonder how you guys manage to get though the day all on your own.

I don’t. I manage because I am surrounded by nice, courteous, and supportive people like you.

In case you didn't realize this, obviously this entire discussion has nothing to do with the NFL. That's a sideshow. This is a proxy for discussing Donald Trump's **** size. That's why they take it personally if you disagree with them. By bringing up other factors to account for the drop in ratings, you're telling them that Donald Trump isn't the only reason the ratings have dropped and that therefore **** isn't as big as they think it is. They don't want to hear that. They're telling you he's hung like a horse, and you're saying, "I'm not so sure about that."
So you are telling me that @Joe Fan is obsessed with Donald Trump’s cock?

So you are telling me that @Joe Fan is obsessed with Donald Trump’s ****?

I thought you guys rejected Freud?

Freud probably also said something to the effect that attempts at thread derailment with multiple genital obsession posts is a concession you are losing the argument

Last edited:
....When did I judge the league’s response, much less misjudge it? I agree that the league’s response has been rather clumsy.....

...It is clear that the kneeling issue is costing the league some amount of viewership and attendance. But you make it into way more than it is. Clearly the league thinks so, too, or they'd be putting an end to it, labor unrest be damned.

Nothing to with opposing viewpoints. It's the constant smart *** snark. Look at your following post as an example.

I'll grant you my snarkiness at times. I don't handle those playing the "victim" card very well, especially those that claim the opposing side are "snowflakes".

Half empty stadiums. Attendance is down slightly but there is also quite a bit of tumult with teams either in temporary digs or planning to move: Chargers, Rams and Raiders.
The question is whether those are BIS numbers or sales numbers. There is a big difference. Plenty of seats get sold and never have anyone go through the turnstile. This is not unique to pro sports...all one has to do at the college level is look at some of the past seasons with Texas sports to see that sales do not equal turnstile numbers.

There are undoubtedly some who will vote to stay out of the premises. I know that the present level of nonsense would have me pursuing refunds of season tickets and an exit from a PSL if I had been so inclined to get season tickets for any NFL franchise. The game day experience already was leaving much to be desired without the current array of politards on display across the League.

This is a proxy for discussing Donald Trump's **** size. That's why they take it personally if you disagree with them. By bringing up other factors to account for the drop in ratings, you're telling them that Donald Trump isn't the only reason the ratings have dropped and that therefore **** isn't as big as they think it is. They don't want to hear that. They're telling you he's hung like a horse, and you're saying, "I'm not so sure about that."

Dude, you're way too smart to make a ridiculous remark like this. This has nothing to do with Trump with most people. Btw, nobody has told me why college football's ratings/attendance is not being affected but just the pros.

Wow...they are really bad. ;) Clearly the player protests last year didn't stop the snowflakes from buying tickets this year.
hi-res-136066466_crop_north.jpg
That suggests you are not fully aware of how season ticket purchases typically play out. The only professional team I had season tickets for was when the Houston Aeros returned in the mid-90's. I acquired my seat early in the season, but with the All Star game coming in the next year, I was in a position of having to commit to the season long before the prior season had ended. Had I not done so, I was at risk of losing both my seat and priority for the All Star game.

The NFL politarding went into full gear long after the deadlines for seat holders to renew. As such, renewals for THIS season are NOT indicative of what may occur next year...if there IS a next year.

What will be interesting is to see if more owners are willing to ship their malcontents like McNair did yesterday. The more cancers get removed from the sidelines, the more likely owners are to retain longtime fans, particularly those with the discretionary funds willing to vote with their feet. It is a LOT easier to avoid games when you can walk away from the $$$ invested in the tickets and not feel a pinch like you had burned a week's paycheck.

Btw, nobody has told me why college football's ratings/attendance is not being affected but just the pros.

This explanation is as good as any.

College football this year has been a better, more exciting version of the sport than the NFL, and viewers have made their relative preference clear. The most basic reason is the proficiency of the players. The stylistic and strategic chasm between college football and the NFL has never been greater, and the sport's current developmental system creates exceptional college football players and unprepared NFL players.

The game at every rung below the college level, from high school to the youngest Pop Warner leagues, is nearly identical to college football. Quarterbacks stand in shotgun, receivers spread the field and offensive linemen stand in two-point stances. Players practice year-round, with seven-on-seven and flag football leagues prevalent.

In 2017, by the time a player reaches college, he has become more skilled at the collegiate game than most any player who came before him. When the same player reaches the NFL, he has played almost no football reminiscent of the NFL game.

"It's the same sport, but it's two different games," Senior Bowl director Phil Savage said. "It's a night-and-day difference in terms of the style of play. While most everyone focuses on the quarterback, the style of play being utilized across the board in college football, it's a significant adjustment."

I'm always reluctant to read ANYTHING into games pitting different sports against each other, especially when one is airing the World effing Series, especially when the NFL game is between two crappy teams and the World Series is one of the most captivating in recent memory (and yes, I believe even those without a vested interest in the Astros would agree it is one of the best Series in recent memory).

That suggests you are not fully aware of how season ticket purchases typically play out. The only professional team I had season tickets for was when the Houston Aeros returned in the mid-90's. I acquired my seat early in the season, but with the All Star game coming in the next year, I was in a position of having to commit to the season long before the prior season had ended. Had I not done so, I was at risk of losing both my seat and priority for the All Star game.

The NFL politarding went into full gear long after the deadlines for seat holders to renew. As such, renewals for THIS season are NOT indicative of what may occur next year...if there IS a next year.

What will be interesting is to see if more owners are willing to ship their malcontents like McNair did yesterday. The more cancers get removed from the sidelines, the more likely owners are to retain longtime fans, particularly those with the discretionary funds willing to vote with their feet. It is a LOT easier to avoid games when you can walk away from the $$$ invested in the tickets and not feel a pinch like you had burned a week's paycheck.

I've been a Seahawks season ticket holder. Your commitment for next season is made at the end of the current season, generally in March/April from my experience. Are there some people upset at the protest? Absolutely, especially the Pro-Trump crowd who may not have cared last year with the Kaepernick inspired saga then were incited to care now.

That suggests you are not fully aware of how season ticket purchases typically play out.

I think you missed his point. @Seattle Husker's photo is from 2012, and the article he linked to was talking about how attendance was on the decline. The way I read it, he was asking whether the decline in season ticket sales in 2012 was due to the kneeling that occurred in 2015-17.

Or maybe I just read too much into his post, lol.

(and yes, I believe even those without a vested interest in the Astros would agree it is one of the best Series in recent memory).

Very true. The guys on NYC sports radio on my drive to work this morning were gushing about how great of a series it has been. That means a lot up here, because they usually want to talk Yankees, Yankees, Yankees, Yankees, and maybe a tad about the Mets if time permits.

Dude, you're way too smart to make a ridiculous remark like this. This has nothing to do with Trump with most people.

The reason why I made the remark is that you all are arguing this as though someone insulted your junk rather than as though someone disagreed with you. It's not enough for someone to agree that the protests and Trump's mouth are significant factors. They are, and I've discussed them in this very there's. However, to appease the Rumpers one has to basically reject or virtually reject all other possible factors without evidence.

Btw, nobody has told me why college football's ratings/attendance is not being affected but just the pros.

I'm not sure. Maybe the games are better. Maybe with the increase of college graduates over the years there are more alumni out there. What you all are doing is inferring causation where only correlation exists. Look at the issue in the other direction. Why are ratings down on other programming that has nothing to do with the NFL or the protests? It's because there are a myriad of reasons why people watch or stop watching something. That's true for all kinds of entertainment.

Trump's "I am your voice" comment was a promise to speak up for the common man/woman from a position of authority when being trampled.

NFL players were disrespecting millions of NFL fans and the country. Trump did exactly what he promised and spoke out for those who's only option was to forfeit something they love or swallow the disrespect.

It's not a trivial decision to dump something you've passionately enjoyed for decades and spent countless dollars supporting.

Trump used his megaphone to express the contempt of millions. The majority of real NFL fans cheered his slamming the players in the Alabama speech.

Those who voted for him are very thankful he continues to take on the powers that be and fight for us no matter the backlash price. And those who don't support him or voted for another will continue to despise when he does it. Nothing has changed since election day. Same battle lines, expect same result.

Last edited:

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back