2025 Updates, Transfers & Recruits

Kyle DeGroat (RHP - Walkill, NY)

Named pitcher of the year for the Hudson Valley region 2AA.

The Minnesota Twins Daily project him to go in Round 4.

"Round 4 (Pick 126 - $567,400): Kyle DeGroat, RHP, New York prep. DeGroat checks in at #178 on the consensus board, but is going to be expensive to buy out of a Texas commitment. DeGroat committed to the previous regime, so it may be easier to persuade him to go the professional route. He currently features a low-to-mid-90s fastball and a plus curveball. He's a bit undersized, built similarly to last year's 5th-round pick Dylan Questad."

1720184783102.png

we can only hope that several of our incoming pitchers decide to grow under Weiner instead of turning pro. They are all going to see significant innings if they make it to campus.

we can only hope that several of our incoming pitchers decide to grow under Weiner instead of turning pro. They are all going to see significant innings if they make it to campus.
Yes indeed. I really hope the two above, plus pitcher Jason Flores, make it to campus.

"Round 4 (Pick 126 - $567,400): Kyle DeGroat, RHP, New York prep. DeGroat checks in at #178 on the consensus board, but is going to be expensive to buy out of a Texas commitment. DeGroat committed to the previous regime, so it may be easier to persuade him to go the professional route. He currently features a low-to-mid-90s fastball and a plus curveball. He's a bit undersized, built similarly to last year's 5th-round pick Dylan Questad."

View attachment 10019

DeGroat.....wasn't there a MLB player in the 80's named DeGroat? If so, any relations? Or am I imagining things as I gracefully age?

View attachment 10019

A couple of the MLB prospect rankings I saw had Degroat at about 100 spots lower than that. He also was not in a couple of the "top 200" lists I saw. In fact, one that listed only high school kids still had him at 140 or so just for high school ranking. I wonder what it would take to get him to stay with Texas.

A couple of the MLB prospect rankings I saw had Degroat at about 100 spots lower than that. He also was not in a couple of the "top 200" lists I saw. In fact, one that listed only high school kids still had him at 140 or so just for high school ranking. I wonder what it would take to get him to stay with Texas.

According to the link I posted, the Minnesota Twins online mag sure seems to like him.

His video is really easy to find. He has really good multi-plane movement on his breaking stuff, and his fastball has good velocity. Some of the videos showed he likes to dwell high in the strike zone a lot, so he'll challenge hitters.

Will wasn’t doing well, think his avg was .083. Let go three weeks into the season.

Interesting. I didn't know they released players. That can't be too good for the ego. I just checked Gasparino's stats a day or two ago and noticed they weren't very good.

Will has got to bounce back. It could make him stronger.

The Cape Cod league uses wooden bats, so it's a bit pro-pitcher. He shouldn't let it get to his mentality. He's a D1 starter and a good one if he can keep it all together.

Now Will is a power hitter, and yeah, he could stand to improve on his contact hitting/batting avg/OB %. Tulo and our staff will continue to work with him. He'll be all right.

By the way, Chatham (where he was) is the gem of Cape Cod. Wonderful place. A Nantucket-lite for the non-billionaires.

We rented a house in Chatham a few years ago and used it as our base to explore Cape Cod, and I couldn't agree more - gorgeous little town I'd go back to in a heartbeat.

Matt Scott II reporting that he is all in. For some reason the link keeps failing but he himself reported it on X.

Matt Scott looks really good on film. He has a lot of size. I don't recall if he is very high on any of the MLB draft lists.

Matt Scott looks really good on film. He has a lot of size. I don't recall if he is very high on any of the MLB draft lists.

Agreed, I think he is saying that he's confirming that he will be on campus no matter what. I think the consensus is, he won't be drafted or not high enough to convince himself to enter the MLB.

I was checking the incoming freshman class and saw that Samuel Richardson (Miss.) hit only .211 his senior year. I did some searching but couldn't find if he had been injured and he still had about the same number of ABs as in his junior year. He had one more homerun than in his junior year but hitting .211 as a senior is concerning. Hopefully not some nagging injury or other issue.

He just wasn’t the same pitcher after his injury. Hope he gets back to where he was and has future success.

This young man loved the team enough to fly himself out to Stanford and get tickets right behind home plate to cheer the Horns on. Best to him.

I really like the look of that Navarre kid, now all we need are two middle infielders and we will look more salty than folks will want to admit.

Boooooom!!! Starting SS or 2nd baseman.

This is good. The sort of player we need right now. A decent enough experienced middle infield glove (his fielding % not so great in 2024 though), and he bats North of 0.300. He lacks power with only 3 home runs on the year in 2024, but that's about what we were getting out of D Kennedy. For 2024: his OB% 0.367, and his OPS is 0.810--- which is probably in the upper average range for today's college game, and a lot better than we've been getting from our 2B. Probably a 6-7-8 batter, but an upgrade at our 2B spot (obviously a downgrade from Flores if he plays SS).

He's originally from Bedford, Texas.

Noticeable upgrade at 2B.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
:ut::ut::ut:

Last edited:
Saw a rumor online that we may have one of our top MLB prospects coming to campus instead of going pro.

If so, I would place Texas A&M #1, Arkansas #2 and then Texas, Florida, LSU and Tennessee fighting it out for #3.

We may end up a little salty if true.

Saw a rumor online that we may have one of our top MLB prospects coming to campus instead of going pro.

If so, I would place Texas A&M #1, Arkansas #2 and then Texas, Florida, LSU and Tennessee fighting it out for #3.

We may end up a little salty if true.
Hope he sticks around the 40. Most will wait to see where they're drafted.

Woah!

Navarre has some insane spin rates on his breaking stuff ala Hudson Hamilton.

We'll have (at least) 3 Underclassman (probably more) arms who put the nasty wicked sauce on their breakers: Tumis, Hudson Hamilton, and Navarre. Lots of strikeouts--swing and miss, and opposing batters looking stupid is in our future on the mound. If those 3 get their command and control down (and by late in the year, Tumis was getting there), we'll have a good pitching staff. Need another stud starter to go with Grubbs.

Recent Threads

Back