2024 Softball Season

Games on Saturday no longer have a streaming option due to weather conditions. It just seems Texas has awful luck with opening weekend weather no matter where we go. I really hope they find a way to at least stream the Texas vs UCLA game on Saturday!

Games on Saturday no longer have a streaming option due to weather conditions. It just seems Texas has awful luck with opening weekend weather no matter where we go. I really hope they find a way to at least stream the Texas vs UCLA game on Saturday!
There has got to be more to this story. The weather forecast for Friday in Irvine is early morning showers (like 6am for an hour) and then over cast the rest of the day. Saturday shows sun and a little overcast? The website does say it was canceled due to weather conditions that occurred the last week? Well crap and I had purchased the FloSports feed. Wasted my $30?

We now have a "listen" option listed for the San Diego game today. I can live with a good radio broadcast. Maybe just maybe this will happen for tomorrow's games since it appears we have a commentator for today's game in the area!!

There has got to be more to this story. The weather forecast for Friday in Irvine is early morning showers (like 6am for an hour) and then over cast the rest of the day. Saturday shows sun and a little overcast? The website does say it was canceled due to weather conditions that occurred the last week? Well crap and I had purchased the FloSports feed. Wasted my $30?
Yeah they said the fields were not in any shape to be used at this time. Flo softball gave me a refund all you do is just tell them the situation and they’ll process the refund

Yeah they said the fields were not in any shape to be used at this time. Flo softball gave me a refund all you do is just tell them the situation and they’ll process the refund
Have to remember that California was being hammered with rain this last week and that maybe the site doesn't have the good drainage like at UCLA? Maybe some infrastructure got damaged in the flooding?

Wammy! Texas run rules San Diego 19-0. Before I get too excited, I look up SD's record from last year:
23-29-1
ERA: 4.26 (214/295)
Batting: 0.257 (176/295)
Fielding: 0.962 (139/295)
versus Texas:
45-15-1
ERA: 2.39 (32/295)
Batting: 0.325 (8/295)
Fielding: 0.965 (109/295)

So, no. Not a surprise.

ERA: 0.00
Batting: 0.556
Fielding: 0.958

Interesting Morgan got the start earlier today. I for sure thought it would be Simpson or Kavan with Morgan starting against UCLA. Would be surprised if Citlaly didn’t get the start against UCLA tonight.

Good win: Kavan looks real good but mike almost lost it for them. I see he's still trying to make Whitaker happen.
At the bottom of the 5th, my wife was grumbling don't put her back in (Kavan) Mike. And then she did well. Again my wife was pleading to the TV for Mike to not put Kavan back in. Mike, Mike, Mike.....always willing to give up a run or two before admitting your pitcher has lost her stuff.

I was thinking, "Man, we have the luxury of putting in Laly as a relief pitcher. That's depth!"

And yeah Whitaker. Mike keeps remember freshman luck/magic thinking it'll happen again.

Good win: Kavan looks real good but mike almost lost it for them. I see he's still trying to make Whitaker happen.
I do not understand Coach White’s infatuation with Whitaker! Right on Q she doesn’t swing at 2 strikes right down the pipe and then swings at a ball outside the zone to strikeout! Some things never change. And Quiroga blistered a ball against SD!!
I think Simpson will start against SD and Mac against UCLA. Gutierrez starts against LMU on Sunday.
Why no radio broadcast for the games today?? The games on Friday were both broadcast so the announcer is in town?? Errrrr! That’s ridiculous!

hey, for those of you who watched the UCLA game, do our players seem slower than last year? I was shocked to see Mia Scott not beat out the throw to first. Although.....there was that one call where I thought, "Where is the replay!?" Did they agree not to use replay this game?

hey, for those of you who watched the UCLA game, do our players seem slower than last year? I was shocked to see Mia Scott not beat out the throw to first. Although.....there was that one call where I thought, "Where is the replay!?" Did they agree not to use replay this game?
I thought there should have been a replay too, but Scott did seem slower. It also seem like Mike is trying to get more power and that usually means less speed. Stewart seems to need some time adjusting to college level pitching.

But yes, the Whitaker experiment needs to end. So at one time she hit a couple of homers against 2nd tier pitching and all of the sudden she's a hero. Now she just continues to show she doesn't get it against top 10 pitching. Her bat is too slow. And Texas will see the best pitching in the country and sometimes that just means the ability to move a runner over rather than a strikeout. Especially in the post season.

When Goode is back Washington may be the best bet at DH, or one on the Freshmen, or Washington at 3rd and Mitchell DH, but any of those will be better than Whitaker as a DH.

There is a radio stream of the games today with SD and UCLA even though it’s not listed on the schedule. I can not imagine why not?
IMG_2999.jpeg

What an *** kicking they just put on. Only thing that sucks is I don't think the win will look as good at the end of the year. UCLA only has one pitcher, could see them struggling to make regionals at the point.

Man, I wish that game was on tape somewhere on the internet. I'll have to go and read the plya-by-play box score to see what the heck happened. For a moment, I thought I pulled up the San Diego box score!

Winning against UCLA in LA will always mean something good no matter the season. They just don't have "throw away seasons". Time will tell but I think we are really good this year. So far Coach White has some very good playing time problems, especially when LeighAnn gets healthy. Next weekend will be huge for us.:bevo:

From the box score the summation goes:
1. Vivi hit two HRs, one was a grand slam
2. Scott hit the second grand slam
3. Whitaker struck out looking

FWIW, my daughters high school teammate and good friend Lindsay O'Dell will be the starter for LMU today as a true sophomore. I'm sad my daughter decided to hang up her cleats after two years of college ball, but it's really fun to get to see some of her friends continue to play on especially when they get to play Texas. Texas should handle the situation, but I'd love to see her put up a couple of solid innings.

Atwood has a real chance to break the homerun record at Texas and I think it will happen. We have an embarrassment of with our offense and the way Henry was swinging the bat yesterday she is fighting for playing time as well.

I'm hoping that Mike has been building up pitching with the addition last year of Laly and this year Tevan. Decided to look over the Texas key stats in relationship to the other teams in Div I the last couple of years. We got by for 2 years with transfer pitchers until he could build up with "native" recruits. Irony is that the worst year in stats was the best year in tournament results.
s0u4QGL.png

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-GEORGIA *
Sat, Oct 19 • 6:30 PM on ABC

Recent Threads

Back