2024 Recruiting - WBB

I am not terribly familiar with Jordan Lee's game. Any assessment and projection of where she fits into Vic's system will be appreciated.

I am not terribly familiar with Jordan Lee's game. Any assessment and projection of where she fits into Vic's system will be appreciated.
From an SFGate article about Jordan Lee. You know the talk about defense and taking charges brought a tear to Vic’s eye.

St. Mary’s-Stockton Junior Jordan Lee Was The Driving Force For A Rams Team That Reached Div. I NorCal Final Despite A Slew Of Injuries •
Jordan Lee put 47 on Oakland Tech in the NorCals, so she’s got to be one of those score-first wings, right?

And though 47 is hard to ignore, especially against a team that defends like Oakland Tech, defense is her calling card.

“Defense is the most important aspect of the game to her,” says her coach, Alle Moreno, of the 6-0 junior.

“She took five charges in one game,” marvels Moreno, who knows as well as anyone that a lot of elite players haven’t taken five charges in their entire careers.

“Defense is incredibly personal,” Lee says. “Defense gets my offense going.”

A question, is it unusually late for prospects to be announcing their commitment for the Fall 2024 class? Maybe I'm used to volleyball commits announcing (and mostly keeping their word) 2 years in advance.

I went to the ESPN HoopGurlz database and looked up 2024. And the: 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, and 10 rated players on their list don't have commitments yet. Surprising. And then I know that in November, that is when the players sign their official LOI with the schools.

Also, any more 2024 needs or leans towards Texas y'all know about?

A question, is it unusually late for prospects to be announcing their commitment for the Fall 2024 class? Maybe I'm used to volleyball commits announcing (and mostly keeping their word) 2 years in advance.

I went to the ESPN HoopGurlz database and looked up 2024. And the: 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, and 10 rated players on their list don't have commitments yet. Surprising. And then I know that in November, that is when the players sign their official LOI with the schools.

No, this is not unusual.

From an SFGate article about Jordan Lee. You know the talk about defense and taking charges brought a tear to Vic’s eye.

St. Mary’s-Stockton Junior Jordan Lee Was The Driving Force For A Rams Team That Reached Div. I NorCal Final Despite A Slew Of Injuries •
Jordan Lee put 47 on Oakland Tech in the NorCals, so she’s got to be one of those score-first wings, right?

And though 47 is hard to ignore, especially against a team that defends like Oakland Tech, defense is her calling card.

“Defense is the most important aspect of the game to her,” says her coach, Alle Moreno, of the 6-0 junior.

“She took five charges in one game,” marvels Moreno, who knows as well as anyone that a lot of elite players haven’t taken five charges in their entire careers.

“Defense is incredibly personal,” Lee says. “Defense gets my offense going.”
Thanks for that. If she takes charges she will definitely earn playing time for Vic.

This poor guy. :e-face-tears:

Obviously recorded today before the commitments were announced and was raving about Jordan Lee. If you are triggered by the word “Gamecocks”, you have been warned…

The good news is that they'll most likely sign their LOI's in November and they get to campus (summer school) in less than one year!

Obviously, PG/SG Bryanna Preston is a target. I definitely think we need someone next season who can help Rori lead the offense; she has length and quickness so she'd bring a lot of skills and attributes which I covet in a backcourt player.

Lee is an elite scorer but what I like most about her is her defense. She gets after it on the defensive end and is a very physical player who fears absolutely nobody! In terms of defensive IQ and physicality she reminds me a lot of Audrey Warren. Someone who isn’t afraid of diving on the ground for a loose ball or taking a charge. She makes the big plays that make all the difference in the game. She’s also going to be great in the transition game. Great pickup for us.

Obviously, PG/SG Bryanna Preston is a target. I definitely think we need someone next season who can help Rori lead the offense; she has length and quickness so she'd bring a lot of skills and attributes which I covet in a backcourt player.

@Moooooo or anyone else, what's your best guess on how they strategize signing a 2024 PG when Chavez is the primary target for 2025?

@Moooooo or anyone else, what's your best guess on how they strategize signing a 2024 PG when Chavez is the primary target for 2025?
Just my opinion, but the key is getting a 2024 guard (or even a transfer) who can play both the point and the off guard, and that would complement a guard like Chavez (should we land her). I think both Preston and Chavez can play either guard spot effectively; of course, they both have to be on board with not always leading the offense, and sliding to the SG spot when necessary. Both have good size, and we know Chavez can be a scoring machine. Have not checked out enough of Preston to know if she's more a of a slasher or a shooter.

If we land Preston (or another 2024 player who can play the point), they would play one year with Rori, and then be around for 3 seasons with Chavez (should she come to Texas).

Here's to hoping Jordan Lee brings similar work ethic as past Longhorns like Ariel Atkins and Celeste Taylor who have similar size/builds as Lee, I think. Not sure if she's as quick as either of them, but it's gonna be fun making those comparisons!

Just my opinion, but the key is getting a 2024 guard (or even a transfer) who can play both the point and the off guard, and that would complement a guard like Chavez (should we land her). I think both Preston and Chavez can play either guard spot effectively; of course, they both have to be on board with not always leading the offense, and sliding to the SG spot when necessary. Both have good size, and we know Chavez can be a scoring machine. Have not checked out enough of Preston to know if she's more a of a slasher or a shooter.

If we land Preston (or another 2024 player who can play the point), they would play one year with Rori, and then be around for 3 seasons with Chavez (should she come to Texas).
We definitely need a true combo guard in this class. Things look pretty good at the 3, 4 & 5 spot right now.

I’m being greedy but I think we need 2 more players now it’s going to be one of those see how things go type things to see if injuries or who is unhappy or transfer come into play. I think/ hope we get Preston because she isn’t a finish product but very raw in a good way and the cherry on top I’m praying for Arianna Roberson to come her length reminds me of Cameron Brink at Stanford. As for 2025 Chavez is a player who no matter what is going to play and play a lot early. IMO she is the best HS player no matter the class some said Jerzy Robinson but Chavez is 16 and would start now on our squad and would put up 14-17ppg because of how she plays. These next 2 classes have a national championship team in them frfr. 2025 I want McDowell& Richardson from Cy fair as they already compliment Chavez really well. Richardson is a dead eye shooter like Brooke McCarty was and McDowell is similar to Booker who would be a jr by then.
2025 wishlist
Chavez 5’9 Guard
McDowell 6’2 W/F
Richardson 5’5 PG

I’m up stocking seems like she reposted Jordan Lee commit post so the 2 have some type of connection from summer ball. She just visited Utah so hopefully we get a visit. I’m referring to Roberson

I’m up stocking seems like she reposted Jordan Lee commit post so the 2 have some type of connection from summer ball. She just visited Utah so hopefully we get a visit. I’m referring to Roberson
What I've wondered about Arianna is which position she'd play in college? At the power forward spot, I think our coaching staff prioritized Justice. So, unless Arianna wants to play Center in college, I just don't think we're in her plans. She is supposedly visiting Oregon this weekend.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back