2024 Recruiting - Football

I'm always turned off by guys that have given a hard commit, but still shop around. I'd lay even $ he hits the portal by 2026 regardless who he finally signs with

Last edited:
Maybe sour grapes, but here goes.

McKinley’s recruitment never felt right to me. His mother is a teacher and education was supposed to be a top priority. Additionally, I thought I heard that he was going to major in engineering. No knock on LSU, but if education was such a big priority, that school over Texas?

Might just be NIL… Any other takes?

Maybe sour grapes, but here goes.

McKinley’s recruitment never felt right to me. His mother is a teacher and education was supposed to be a top priority. Additionally, I thought I heard that he was going to major in engineering. No knock on LSU, but if education was such a big priority, that school over Texas?

Might just be NIL… Any other takes?
LSU has a very good engineering school. Especially, petroleum. And he is a Louisiana kid. They are hard to pry away in some circumstances. I never thought he cared for UT.

LSU has a very good engineering school. Especially, petroleum. And he is a Louisiana kid. They are hard to pry away in some circumstances. I never thought he cared for UT.
Guessing you are a LSU guy because they are not highly ranked. Here is their national ranking, #185.
upload_2024-1-1_15-59-17.png

Duncanville's Alex January and the belief in monsters

More on Alex January DT (6'4"-- 6'5" 325 lbs). He could be one of our most important pickups this recruiting cycle.

He's also a good baseball player. Even though he's a legacy, we had to fight off LSU (who apparently REALLY wanted him) to sign Alex January. January was named the District 11-6A Defensive Player of the Year--chosen over 5 star teammate Colin Simmons (DE). Simmons should be great at UT, but if you watched the State Championship game, you'd know that January might turn out to be even better.

And he's not some lumbering lard-***. Per the photos, he has, at most, only a moderate amount of "the wrong kind of weight." Of course, football linemen weight training isn't about body building and "definition." After a year or two in our S&C program, this dude will be a monster.

Alex January in 3 words: Collapses the Pocket.

Last edited:
Man am I excited about the defensive firepower enrolling early. Some of these kids will be flying around the field in September. We’ll see how fast they can make a contribution. If you look at the incoming defensive players in the back end, plus Mohammed and Williams, it’s certainly encouraging.

Some of these kids will be flying around the field in September. We’ll see how fast they can make a contribution.
I'm still reluctant to expect a lot from true freshmen - if they enroll early and go through Spring practice, we might have a better feel. But in general, I'd rather see them on special teams to start off, then get some playing time late in blowout wins.

I'm still reluctant to expect a lot from true freshmen - if they enroll early and go through Spring practice, we might have a better feel. But in general, I'd rather see them on special teams to start off, then get some playing time late in blowout wins.
You can book a few very early contributors. Wingo, Simmons, Filsaimi, maybe Mack. Bet on Baker at right tackle. They will all improve as the year passes. Think we are catching Michigan in the right year. Georgia too, for that matter.

Duncanville's Alex January and the belief in monsters

More on Alex January DT (6'4"-- 6'5" 325 lbs). He could be one of our most important pickups this recruiting cycle.

He's also a good baseball player. Even though he's a legacy, we had to fight off LSU (who apparently REALLY wanted him) to sign Alex January. January was named the District 11-6A Defensive Player of the Year--chosen over 5 star teammate Colin Simmons (DE). Simmons should be great at UT, but if you watched the State Championship game, you'd know that January might turn out to be even better.

And he's not some lumbering lard-***. Per the photos, he has, at most, only a moderate amount of "the wrong kind of weight." Of course, football linemen weight training isn't about body building and "definition." After a year or two in our S&C program, this dude will be a monster.

Alex January in 3 words: Collapses the Pocket.

I specifically watched him quite a bit against North Shore, seemed like every time i watched him he didn't really do anything. Hoping when he gets on campus he turns into a formidable tackle cause he certainly has the size.

It almost reminded me of the Taylor Bible kid out of Denton Guyer more than a decade ago. Everyone was high on this kid, everyone wanted him, good ole Mack Brown got him. I went up and watched one of his games and I was like, "i must not know this position very well cause color me unimpressed", he took a lot of plays off and seemed more content on the hype than actually growing into a great player.

Just to be clear, i'm not saying he will end up just like Bible, I didn't have the exact same feeling of him, I just didn't see a motor when i watched him. I truly hope he is wildly successful under Bo.

Trey Owens getting big praise at his All-American Bowl! Looking forward to seeing him at Texas.

View attachment 9181
He has a great arm, can make all the throws and is footballl smart. His only weakness is lack of mobility which may be a big negative at this level. It did not show up much in high school, but when playing against tougher competition it was pretty obvious.

25 DE Amaree Williams is another prospect who recently reclassified to the '24 class.

Texas is one school he's looking to visit before signing in February, according to On3.

Recent Threads

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-OU *
Sat, Oct 12 • 2:30 PM on ABC

Back