2023-24 Transfer Portal Thread (CLosed-Opens APRIL 15TH)

Bishop,

I love speed. That said, I have had the privileged of watching a few if the best safeties to ever play the game - Bill Bradley, Jerry Gray, Stanley Richard, Earl Thomas. Of that group, Jerry was certainly the smartest and I believe the slowest (never broke 4.6). None of these guys was a burner. Stanley started as a CB and left much to be desired. He even considered quitting. Moved to safety and BINGO first round pick. All four were students of the game which helped make them great. Watts would do well to talk to any or all of those four.
or he can talk to Aaron Ross on how to play CB correctly.

QB Wright and DB Thompson did indeed portal tonight.
Wright was a trooper to graduate and be a trusted backup for 3 years.
Glad they were Longhorns!

Thanks. AD and Sanders are both 2nd round according to most mock drafts, so likely they're gone.

Wish Carter would stay. That really hurts with Sweat and Murphy gone and Sydir is unproven. I don't know what he has to gain by transferring again unless it's NIL $.

Lots of smoke that J T Sanders is leaning toward returning. Nothing on AD yet.

Why did it work out for Neyor here? I remember there being lots of excitement about his size and speed stretch the field. I know he was injured before last season so was surprised when he really didn’t play at all this season. At the Iowa State game, I saw him standing alone and away from the team. Any intel on the situation other than he was injured or we were deep at receiver?

I’m not really upset about this because there was a deficiency back there. However, it’s very strange when staters with remaining eligibility leave the program to go elsewhere. It’s not like he’s going pro. It’s not like we can’t afford him. It’s not like he wasn’t good enough or he wouldn’t have been a starter all season. This doesn’t make sense. Any insight on this strange move?

or he can talk to Aaron Ross on how to play CB correctly.
He can talk to Deion Sanders and Charles Woodson, but he still doesn't have the speed or quickness to be an elite CB. If he can't see his chance at the NFL is at safety, then shame on him. If this team had Aaron Ross or Micheal Huff, maybe we win that game Monday night.

Sark gonna have to hit the portal more for DB's.

Why did it work out for Neyor here? I remember there being lots of excitement about his size and speed stretch the field. I know he was injured before last season so was surprised when he really didn’t play at all this season. At the Iowa State game, I saw him standing alone and away from the team. Any intel on the situation other than he was injured or we were deep at receiver?
Doghouse.

Why was he there? I do not know, and Sark, as he should, has not spoken about it.

I’m not really upset about this because there was a deficiency back there. However, it’s very strange when staters with remaining eligibility leave the program to go elsewhere. It’s not like he’s going pro. It’s not like we can’t afford him. It’s not like he wasn’t good enough or he wouldn’t have been a starter all season. This doesn’t make sense. Any insight on this strange move?
Even with the occasional ints, I thought Thompson struggled big-time. He seemed to be a step or two behind on every deep throw, and tended to take poor angles. That happened again last Monday night. I certainly wish him the best, but expect an upgrade at the position in 24. I also expect for us to add a safety from the portal.

I really don’t want to see us lose Watts. He’s a solid player but I tend to agree that he might be more valuable at safety.

We entered the season understanding that we had two major areas of deficiency, safety, and edge. Not surprisingly, both reared their ugly heads last Monday night.

Last edited:
Even with the occasional ints, I thought Thompson struggled big-time. He seemed to be a step or two behind on every deep throw, and tended to take poor angles. That happened again last Monday night. I certainly wish him the best, but expect an upgrade at the position in 24. I also expect for us to add a safety from the portal.

I really don’t want to see us lose Watts. He’s a solid player but I tend to agree that he might be more valuable at safety.

We entered the season understanding that we had two major areas of deficiency, safety, and edge. Not surprisingly, both reared their ugly heads last Monday night.
Agree about Thompson. But with remaining eligibility do you think the coaches told him - you’re not going to start? We do have a transfer safety from Clemson, but I assumed he would be replacing Taaffe.

Agree about Watts. I think he was better in year 1 with us. I’m not sure if the injuries hampered his play this year, but if he gets healed up I think he’s solid.

Why would the Clemson guy default to replacing Taaffe? That kid made a lot of plays for us this year.
I’m a Taaffe fan and believe he’s a real player. My statement was based on the fact that he only became a starter halfway through the season as a replacement for Catalon; whereas, the staff chose Thompson to start from the beginning of the season - so obviously they preferred Thompson to start from the beginning.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-MS STATE *
Sat, Sep 28 • 3:15 PM on SEC Network

Back