2023-24 Transfer Portal Thread (CLosed-Opens APRIL 15TH)

Nahlin

Still watching the portal over the coming days, especially at WR. Feels like something is going to shake loose and possibly (likely) Texas' way.

Apparently it was mentioned elsewhere that U of H DT Ja'Maree Caldwell is back in play. That's funny timing because I heard that today after the Houston Lunch Bunch, but not from one of my main sources. I'm checking for further details on that one.

Caldwell's not a world beater but he would upgrade the roster at a position of need.

Totally agree, 6721. Maybe the portal should be restricted to one use per player over his college career.

An athletic scholarship is like any other scholarship, in that amounts used to pay for tuition and textbooks are tax-free. Amounts used to pay for room and board and other non-qualified expenses, however, are generally taxable to the student. So, there is a tax break for some of the funds provided in the scholarship. The NIL deals set up the athletes to make money. But, as usual, some students abuse the privilege and basically shop around for the program willing to dole out the most NIL cash. As such, I like the idea of restricting the a scholarship players ability transfer to another program to be a one time only deal eliminating the ability for players to "jump ship" to another program every year. They get one bite at the apple to transfer and if it does not work out, the dude is hosed, or rather done, unless the athlete can pay his own way. But NO more scholarships!

Also consideration could be given to putting in a transfer fee, or rather a repayment of all amounts expended by the University on behalf of the transferring player while the transferring player was on scholarship prior to entering the transfer portal which would include all amounts covered by the scholarship, such as room and board, classes, books. etc. In addition, the amounts the school incurred has to be repaid by the transfering player or the transfering player's family and not buy the current university nor any university program seeking to take the player. The school makes money from ticket sales, TV, radio and some other sources, and the loss of a good player or several players may result in an impact detrimental to the school the player is leaving.

Now guys, obviously, none of this diatribe above will happen unless we enter the Twilight Zone, but is just a thought, and I had a slow afternoon and evening on my hands. HOOK 'EM!

If I have a job and get paid a salary, if I decide to move to a new company, the money I earned while working at the first company doesn't have to be repaid unless I've signed a contract specifically outlining what has to be repaid. I believe that normal wages aren't normally subject to being repaid. Time for training and other expenses could be involved in repayment or mandatory time required if it's explicitly cited in a contract. Put that in context of a scholarship. IMO if a player plays and finishes the semester, he's fulfilled what is expected of him for that semester, and that includes bowl games. There are more teams that don't go to bowl games or are in meaningless bowl games that I don't believe the bowl game should be part of the equation (note thar this is MY opinion). To make students accountable, have them sign a contract that includes every piece that you want them to be accountable for. If they don't comply (think opt outs for bowl games as one example), they are in breach of contract. With a good contract, you can include repayment of anything that is inthe contract. These are adults...albeit young adults. And with regards to NIL money, I wouldn't give anyone money (assuming I had any to give) if there weren't these sorts of caveats.

Man, we really need to get Caldwell to transfer here.

IT mentioned this is a "little hit", possibly implying help is already on the way.

However, they feel DT Sydir Mitchell will be better than what Carter could've provided next season.

IT an article on roster updates this morning...

- QB Quinn Ewers wasn't mentioned as he's very likely returning

- the staff would like QB Charles Wright to return for depth, but he's expected to portal as a graduate

- WR Adonai Mitchell is expected to declare early for the NFL

- nobody is expecting TE Ja'Tavion Sanders to return

- they've heard talk of a handful of OL entering the portal, especially those from the '23 class

- they received further confirmation yesterday that DT Alfred Collins plans to return

- LB David Gbenda wants to return, but there is some talk that he could go to Nevada with Coach Choate

- LB Morice Blackwell could enter the portal to seek more playing time, but his decision may be dependent on the departure of Gbenda

- there was talk about CB Jaylon Guilbeau entering the portal in December, and his status remains up in the air

CB Austin Jordan should be staying

- CB Ryan Watts is likely to return with the stipulation that he's open to playing safety

- S Kitan Crawford is expected to take a chance going pro hoping to at least get signed as a special teamer

- they believe S Jerrin Thompson will enter the portal

- the staff would like QB Charles Wright to return for depth, but he's expected to portal as a graduate

- they've heard talk of a handful of OL entering the portal, especially those from the '23 class

- they received further confirmation yesterday that DT Alfred Collins plans to return

- LB David Gbenda wants to return, but there is some talk that he could go to Nevada with Coach Choate

- LB Morice Blackwell could enter the portal to seek more playing time, but his decision may be dependent on the departure of Gbenda

- there was talk about CB Jaylon Guilbeau entering the portal in December, and his status remains up in the air

- CB Ryan Watts is likely to return with the stipulation that he's open to playing safety

- S Kitan Crawford is expected to take a chance going pro hoping to at least get signed as a special teamer

Great report and Thanks.
Isn't tomorrow last day of portal? IF so, Is midnight tomorrow or when?
IS there a deadline for Declaring for the draft?

Thanks. AD and Sanders are both 2nd round according to most mock drafts, so likely they're gone.

Wish Carter would stay. That really hurts with Sweat and Murphy gone and Sydir is unproven. I don't know what he has to gain by transferring again unless it's NIL $.

OL’s from the 23 class? That’s doesn’t sound good to me.
That caught my attention also. Only five of them, all with great size.
Also not happy that Blackwell might portal with us losing 2 LB’s to graduation.
Is the portal deadline tonight or tomorrow? We should know by then I guess.

Quick change as CB Ryan Watts has decided to depart, per IT.

We'll see if there's any more discussion on this later, but reads like he didn't have interest in safety and/or he wasn't guaranteed to start.

Great intel cnb, as usual.

Was hoping that Mitchell or Sanders would stay. Still holding out hope that one will.

Collins staying is huge.

Hate to lose OLs but frankly, how many do we have, 15?

Fell bad for Jerrin Thompson but notwithstanding the ints, he seemed to become a liability as the season wore on.

Hope Jaylon Guilbeau stays. Many were high on him.

Watts at safety sounds like a no-brainer to me. Pretty fast, big, and he can hit. Hope he changes his mind.

PS. What happened to Gavin Holmes this year? Seemed like a no show.

After Monday night, if he doesn't understand his "speed" is either suitable for playing safety or for insurance sales, I'd be worried about his academic standing.

Great intel cnb, as usual.

Was hoping that Mitchell or Sanders would stay. Still holding out hope that one will.

Collins staying is huge.

Hate to lose OLs but frankly, how many do we have, 15?

Fell bad for Jerrin Thompson but notwithstanding the ints, he seemed to become a liability as the season wore on.

Hope Jaylon Guilbeau stays. Many were high on him.

Watts at safety sounds like a no-brainer to me. Pretty fast, big, and he can hit. Hope he changes his mind.

PS. What happened to Gavin Holmes this year? Seemed like a no show.
I wish the best for Jerrin Thompson and Watts but it seems that receivers ran away from them at times this season. Don’t know if it was lack of speed but sure seems that way.

Bishop,

I love speed. That said, I have had the privileged of watching a few if the best safeties to ever play the game - Bill Bradley, Jerry Gray, Stanley Richard, Earl Thomas. Of that group, Jerry was certainly the smartest and I believe the slowest (never broke 4.6). None of these guys was a burner. Stanley started as a CB and left much to be desired. He even considered quitting. Moved to safety and BINGO first round pick. All four were students of the game which helped make them great. Watts would do well to talk to any or all of those four.

Bishop,

I love speed. That said, I have had the privileged of watching a few if the best safeties to ever play the game - Bill Bradley, Jerry Gray, Stanley Richard, Earl Thomas. Of that group, Jerry was certainly the smartest and I believe the slowest (never broke 4.6). None of these guys was a burner. Stanley started as a CB and left much to be desired. He even considered quitting. Moved to safety and BINGO first round pick. All four were students of the game which helped make them great. Watts would do well to talk to any or all of those four.
Sabre, as a small kid my first Longhorn hero was Danny Lester.
I watched him play in my first ever game in person, around 5 years old.
Of course Bradley, Gray, the Sheriff and Earl Thomas knew how to be the best without sprinter speed. We were DBU way before than just recently in my eyes. The list of our great DB’s is very long and I guess I am a bit critical with that position because of our legacy.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-MS STATE *
Sat, Sep 28 • 3:15 PM on SEC Network

Back