2023-24 Transfer Portal Thread (CLosed-Opens APRIL 15TH)

Sounds like he already has a new team picked out, and the new team wants to get him involved ASAP.
My guess is Ohio State. Interested to see where he lands and how he does over the next couple years. Wish him all the best as he'll always be a Longhorn. :hookem:

Maalik is a talented QB and a great teammate. He deserves playing time at a great school. Unfortunately, he has Ewers ahead of him and likely Arch will pass him next year. Best of luck to him. :hookem:
Yeah, I guess I’m more of a Longhorn fan than I am of any player. So I’m that context, Texas Fight. And good luck to everyone else.

Arch would have almost certainly surpassed Maalik on the depth chart next year. Maalik needs reps, and lots of them. Arch has more refined skills.

Maalik's best option was to go where he can get lots of reps. Those of you who are seeing this as a "f...Texas" move from Maalik are woefully misguided. Almost as misguided as believing a Georgia victory in the SEC title game was our ticket in to the playoffs.

Arch would have almost certainly surpassed Maalik on the depth chart next year. Maalik needs reps, and lots of them. Arch has more refined skills.

Maalik's best option was to go where he can get lots of reps. Those of you who are seeing this as a "f...Texas" move from Maalik are woefully misguided. Almost as misguided as believing a Georgia victory in the SEC title game was our ticket in to the playoffs.
A couple of things: I’m not saying Maslik is saying “f… Texas.” The move is selfish and he has clearly stated that. I have a problem with the timing. He could have waited like others are. It impacts our team negatively. That is pretty obvious. If you’re ok with that then maybe you’re not a team first guy. There are people like you out there. Secondly, it took all kinds of never-happened-before events for us to get in the playoff with a Georgia loss. Two in fact. So that’s basically pure luck.

A couple of things: You sure are crapping all over Maalik, who has been nothing but a team first guy since committing in high school. He has earned the right to make a choice that's best for him, just like Casey Thompson and Hudson Card and Bijan Robinson, and Roschon Johnson all did. Are all of those guys due in for your misplaced ire too?

Secondly, you were flat out wrong in your "analysis" of the playoff picture. Not only wrong, but loudly and incessantly wrong. I'm sure that wasn't pure luck.

Grow the **** up, people. You are a 20 year old kid living your dream when "plan B" comes along with $1.75 million to change your mind. How many of us would have said, "thanks but no thanks, I enjoy Jester food & comfy bed". How long before any one of us made $2 million? For every Michael Dell or Susser that comes along versus how many $100,000/year grunts are there?

I'm sure Maalik would like to be in NOLA with his teammates, perhaps get a few snaps in the game and a shot at that ring, but $2 million says it ain't his calendar being used.

Honestly, how many of you people would say "NO" to the $1.75 million?

If you answer "ME ME ME", the hospital is looking for you to come back.

You should be:

1) In an institution getting help

2) Meeting with the administrator of your trust fund

3) Double checking what you think are the winning numbers on your lottery ticket

A couple of things: I’m not saying Maslik is saying “f… Texas.” The move is selfish and he has clearly stated that. I have a problem with the timing. He could have waited like others are. It impacts our team negatively. That is pretty obvious. If you’re ok with that then maybe you’re not a team first guy. There are people like you out there. Secondly, it took all kinds of never-happened-before events for us to get in the playoff with a Georgia loss. Two in fact. So that’s basically pure luck.
I don't think even Sark agrees with your assessment. Sark has been very clear about how he approaches players who want to go into the portal, and from what he's stated about Maalik, it seems like he's on board with the decision. It sounds like everyone was trying to make it work so he could play in the CFP, but the timing just sucked. That's an issue with the scheduling of signing day and the portal's opening; it's not selfishness on Maalik's part.

LawGrad,

I agree with your post, but I am also sure that in each instance you listed, Sark sat down with the young man to discuss his decision, but also to make sure that the "wisdom" being provided him is from a professional source and not some scumbag street agent (sorry for the redundancy)

Yeah, I guess I’m more of a Longhorn fan than I am of any player. So I’m that context, Texas Fight. And good luck to everyone else.

Well, I guess only a few of us are like that on this board. He was paid a good wage on top of it. They set up special portal rules on timing for playoff teams, so these mercenaries would stick around and not leave before the playoffs.
I believe he'd get the same amount if he waited 2-3 weeks, maybe more.

Last edited:
A couple of things: You sure are crapping all over Maalik, who has been nothing but a team first guy since committing in high school. He has earned the right to make a choice that's best for him, just like Casey Thompson and Hudson Card and Bijan Robinson, and Roschon Johnson all did. Are all of those guys due in for your misplaced ire too?

Secondly, you were flat out wrong in your "analysis" of the playoff picture. Not only wrong, but loudly and incessantly wrong. I'm sure that wasn't pure luck.
I’m not crapping all over Maalik. He himself has stated this was a decision about himself - which by definition is selfish. The timing sucks for the TEAM. I’m not sure how you don’t see that. Again, I’m a fan of Texas, and the success of Texas - not of individuals. Don’t try to manipulate my words either because that doesn’t mean I want something bad to happen to Maalik or for him to fail. He helped the team win games, one against a ranked opponent, so I value him as part of the team - which is my perspective. He is valued on this team. In regard to the other players you mentioned, maybe you’re missing something here and that is we are on the cusp of something special; whereas, we weren’t when the others left. I’m not sure what your angle is on this. I’m a fan of the Texas Longhorns, much more so than any of the players. Regarding the playoff, no team ranked #1 in the penultimate ranking (see Georgia) had never dropped out of the playoff. That had to happen for you to be right. Never happened before. A team ranked #6 or lower in the penultimate ranking (see Texas) had never made it into the playoffs. That had to happen for you to be right. Never happened before. I’m happy I was wrong but your idea of Georgia was flat out luck. Never happened before. You’re being loud and incessant and frankly a bully on your points, when in fact you’re just lucky and really aren’t a Longhorn fan. You’re a player fan. Go be one of the sleazy agents.

Maalik Murphy's portal decision is a result of an untenable college football calendar

H365
Those remarks are totally uncalled for and totally wrong.
Sangre is and has been extremely supportive of all Longhorn sports for years.
All he is doing is explaining why at this point after being a loyal Horn Maalik has to do what is best for him.
Your rudeness to someone who has sponsored to help this site while you just came on here and apparently don't feel a need to support this site is noted.

Can't we just accept the fact that Maalik was a loyal and faithful Longhorn during his time here. He stuck with us through the courtship of Ewers to transfer and through the recruitment of Arch. He was willing to stay in the wings until needed. When needed he came though for a 2-0 record as a starter. Without his performance, we would not be in the playoffs. Can we please just stop all the judgment of his choices in a situation we were never in at his age.

Cheek,

You "believe", but you do not KNOW. Again his portal value was reported to be $1.5 - 2.0. I am not going to risk over a million dollars to watch the kid get hurt practicing and/or playing for someone else. The kid has been nothing but class since he arrived. I wish he was staying, but I appreciate his leadership and recruiting help.

For me, he goes down in history with Benny Pace, Jon Aune, Rick McIvor, and maybe Adam Dunn as the five strongest arms to ever walk the Forty Acres. I wish him the best and Hook em

To beat another dead horse, for those blaming Garrett Gilbert, and those that ran him off, if our dumbass receiver could have made his reads and not run the wrong route, no pick and the Rose Bowl may very well have ended differently. Blame the WR? Blame the WR coach? The play was there.

H365
Those remarks are totally uncalled for and totally wrong.
Sangre is and has been extremely supportive of all Longhorn sports for years.
All he is doing is explaining why at this point after being a loyal Horn Maalik has to do what is best for him.
Your rudeness to someone who has sponsored to help this site while you just came on here and apparently don't feel a need to support this site is noted.
If I’ve been more rude than anyone else here, then I apologize. If someone wants to dredge up comments from a few weeks ago and restart the conversation about being wrong or having pure luck then that’s completely on them. I stand by my rationale because I know that although I was wrong, I can make smart educated future decisions based on historical trends and facts rather than just making a statement based on nothing and ending up lucky through a series of never-before-happened events. And I totally understand you deciding to side with someone who pays money and has been around for years. I also apologize for not donating money to the website. I also apologize for being a Texas Longhorn fan above being a fan of individual players and their future financial rewards.

Thanks for the support guys, I truly appreciate it, but it's not necessary.

I will fix the problem so there are no more conflicts between us.

Re: Maalik.
I was one of the posters on here that wanted him to start over ewers after the spring game. 3 qtrs into the byu game i changed my mind. Didn't like what I saw in that game or the next. I wish him well, much success. For 1.5 million, you should take the offer . No brainer

Re: poster Horns365. He's free to give an opinion on the coaches, players, etc. That's what this forum is for. If he feels like striking back at someone taking a swipe at him, more power to him. This isn't texags

Re:Arch.. Since Maalik's mind & future is elsewhere, I'm glad Arch is taking all the snaps in practice that quin isn't taking. If Quin goes down I want someone replacing him that doesn't have outside interests or distractions. Arch is the future now

Last edited:
Hopefully it isn't the last we see of Horn365.
Sabre- You get 1 pass for calling me Cheek. Only because it was funny.

Re: Maalik.
I was one of the posters on here that wanted him to start over ewers after the spring game. 3 qtrs into the byu game i changed my mind. Didn't like what I saw in that game or the next. I wish him well, much success. For 1.5 million, you should take the offer . No brainer

Re: poster Horns365. He's free to give an opinion on the coaches, players, etc. That's what this forum is for. If he feels like striking back at someone taking a swipe at him, more power to him. This isn't texags

Re:Arch.. Since Maalik's mind & future is elsewhere, I'm glad Arch is taking all the snaps in practice that quin isn't taking. If Quin went down I want someone replacing him that doesn't have outside interests or distractions. Arch is the future now
I am not certain that Maalik would get the ball if Ewers went down anyway. People are assuming he does - not really founded in my opinion because he doesn’t run.

Recent Threads

Back