2023-24 Transfer Portal Thread (CLosed-Opens APRIL 15TH)

Re: Maalik.
I was one of the posters on here that wanted him to start over ewers after the spring game. 3 qtrs into the byu game i changed my mind. Didn't like what I saw in that game or the next. I wish him well, much success. For 1.5 million, you should take the offer . No brainer

Re: poster Horns365. He's free to give an opinion on the coaches, players, etc. That's what this forum is for. If he feels like striking back at someone taking a swipe at him, more power to him. This isn't texags

Re:Arch.. Since Maalik's mind & future is elsewhere, I'm glad Arch is taking all the snaps in practice that quin isn't taking. If Quin went down I want someone replacing him that doesn't have outside interests or distractions. Arch is the future now
Totally agree.
I was the biggest fan of Maalik after the spring game. But then I watched both in game situations and saw Arch’s quickness and ability to throw accurately on the run. Mind blown.
Good luck to Murphy wherever he lands and hopefully we don’t face him in SEC. He is a great one but thankfully we have two generational QB’s.

Per 247, multiple members of the staff are expected to visit with Houston WR Matthew Golden at some point today while they're on the road recruiting.

Several schools are pushing for him, and while he's expected to visit Louisville this weekend, there is some talk that Texas may be able to keep him from doing so.

Scruggs at 247 saying Golden's visit to Louisville this weekend has been canceled.

He wouldn't even be surprised if Golden was a Longhorn at some point today.

Creek,

Fat fingers trying to type on an iPhone keyboard while being proofread by old eyes that left cheaters behind and waiting in a doctors' office to discuss possible surgery, but then some may think I made more sense with the impairments.

Scruggs at 247 saying Golden's visit to Louisville this weekend has been canceled.

He wouldn't even be surprised if Golden was a Longhorn at some point today.
This means Blue stays next year too.

Back to Murphy, some seem to believe that he had no choice but to declare for the portal and leave the team now. That’s not quite adding up for me. I have no doubt that he is an excellent teammate, and very well liked. We also know that his relationship with Sark is said to be outstanding.

Given that the players have been off since December 3rd, and they’re not practicing again until this Saturday or Monday, what would have precluded him from contacting (or being contacted by) and visiting a number of schools over the last couple of weeks…just like the portal players with whom we have been in contact, some of whom have already visited.

Some suggest that if he had made himself available for the playoffs, it would have compromised his access to his next team, and also penalized himself financially. Why, or how? Again, except for finals, he has been “off” since the 3rd.

We go into the game on January 1st with a backup quarterback that has seen about 1/4 of a game this year, and we don’t have the backup who was instrumental in our winning two critical games. Those games weren’t pretty, particularly KSU, but we won.

If Murphy is the team player that we all believe him to be — popular with the team and close to Sark — it does not add up to me that he would not be available for the playoff games.

Back to Murphy, some seem to believe that he had no choice but to declare for the portal and leave the team now. That’s not quite adding up for me. I have no doubt that he is an excellent teammate, and very well liked. We also know that his relationship with Sark is said to be outstanding.

Given that the players have been off since December 3rd, and they’re not practicing again until this Saturday or Monday, what would have precluded him from contacting (or being contacted by) and visiting a number of schools over the last couple of weeks…just like the portal players with whom we have been in contact, some of whom have already visited.

Some suggest that if he had made himself available for the playoffs, it would have compromised his access to his next team, and also penalized himself financially. Why, or how? Again, except for finals, he has been “off” since the 3rd.

We go into the game on January 1st with a backup quarterback that has seen about 1/4 of a game this year, and we don’t have the backup who was instrumental in our winning two critical games. Those games weren’t pretty, particularly KSU, but we won.

If Murphy is the team player that we all believe him to be — popular with the team and close to Sark — it does not add up to me that he would not be available for the playoff games.
Murphy would have been distracted during practice and actually may miss actual practice too. So why not just let Arch take all the practice snaps and be done with it?

Murphy would have been distracted during practice and actually may miss actual practice too. So why not just let Arch take all the practice snaps and be done with it?
To me the question is, who is better prepared and more qualified to step in if, God forbid, we need someone to do so? Only Sark knows for sure but based on game experience, you’d have to give Murphy the edge.

Personally, I’m not real concerned about his potentially being distracted. That argument could also be made about coach Choate. Maybe more so. After all, he has to put together a team which includes working the portal, and pursuing recruits. And, at the same time, participate in constructing a game plan to stop the most prolific offense we will have faced. So he’s really behind the 8 ball.

The other side of the argument is, if Murphy had stepped in and been stellar, what would that have done to his value proposition?

To me the question is, who is better prepared and more qualified to step in if, God forbid, we need someone to do so? Only Sark knows for sure but based on game experience, you’d have to give Murphy the edge.

Personally, I’m not real concerned about his potentially being distracted. That argument could also be made about coach Choate. Maybe more so. After all, he has to put together a team which includes working the portal, and pursuing recruits. And, at the same time, participate in constructing a game plan to stop the most prolific offense we will have faced. So he’s really behind the 8 ball.

The other side of the argument is, if Murphy had stepped in and been stellar, what would that have done to his value proposition?
Once Murphy made his decision based on long term considerations, the short term considerations were fixed more or less. This is what people have confounded.

Last edited:

Duke,
Your words are way more thoughtful, precise and eloquent than mine. Thank you.

Recent Threads

Back