2023-24 Transfer Portal Thread (CLosed-Opens APRIL 15TH)

On Maalik—
Unfortunately you aren’t a Longhorn if it isn’t your last school. You also miss a shot at a National championship ring. He should of waited. Quitting on the team.
He succumbed to the pressure.

Last edited:
cnb, as you know, that’s exactly what Vince Young said prior to about 9:00 PM Pacific on 1/4/06. Believe me, I’d love to have that same problem with Quinn.

Two differant situations. Though he hasn't announced , it's always been believed that if he returns them Murphy walks. Most likely Sark at the very least knows.

Last edited:
Two differant situations. Though he hasn't announced , it's always been believed that if he returns them Murphy walks. Most likely Sark at the very least knows.
If QE plays in and wins the game on January 8th — and plays well — the calculation for him changes, dramatically.

On Maalik—
Unfortunately you aren’t a Longhorn if it isn’t your last school. You also miss a shot at a National championship ring. He should of waited. Quitting on the team.
He succumbed to the pressure.

Kinda early to start with the "quitting on the team " business.
He has to declare by Jan. 3rd to be eligible to enroll at his new school in time for Spring practice.
He didn't make NCAA rules, he's just abiding by them.
We will just have to get used to this. The way Sark is amassing talant we will have many more portals and early jumpers to the NFL in the seasons ahead.

The Maalik move has been expected for a while and certainly ever since it became clear that Quinn was coming back. Like Hudson last year, I wish him nothing but the best and hope he ends up somewhere he can showcase his talents. Sark is going to bring in great QB's every year and we need to get used to losing one every year or so to the portal. It is a great problem to have. I think Arch is ready to be backup in CFP and I am not sure I wouldn't have wanted Arch over Maalik anyway in the CFP if Quinn went down so at least now Arch gets all the backup snaps the next three weeks.

He has to declare by Jan. 3rd to be eligible to enroll at his new school in time for Spring practice.
-No-Playoff team players get an extra five days after their final game ends to just enter the portal. So it’d be Jan 6th or Jan 13th.

If Ewers goes down it’d be nice to have both QB’s, and have the option on whoever can get it done.
Anyway you slice it, he quit the team on a national championship contending team. That’s the way I’ll remember him (and also that he would‘nt run).

Are any other #2 QB of the playoff teams portaling? Seems unprecedented.

Last edited:
-No-Playoff team players get an extra five days after their final game ends to just enter the portal. So it’d be Jan 6th or Jan 13th.

If Ewers goes down it’d be nice to have both QB’s, and have the option on whoever can get it done.
Anyway you slice it, he quit the team on a national championship contending team. That’s the way I’ll remember him (and also that he would‘nt run).

Are any other #2 QB of the playoff teams portaling? Seems unprecedented.

That's too bad. Im going to remember that he stayed with it when Herman dumped him when Quinn committed to Tx 3 years ago and swallowed his pride to commit to Tx after Quinn decommitted.
He could have gone to other schools but never wavered on Tx.
And again get ready for "quitting on the team" for the foreseable future. There will be plenty.

We will just have to get used to this. The way Sark is amassing talant we will have many more portals and early jumpers to the NFL in the seasons ahead.
The backup QB for our next opponent, the Washington Huskies, is also looking for a new school via the transfer portal - just like Maalik. There is a slight difference though. The Washington backup QB is not bailing on the team on the cusp of a possible NC. He’s going to stay with the team through their final game. Sounds like a good teammate. Anyhow, regardless of a deadline, all of the players have choices. Maalik made his and the Washington backup made his.

The Maalik move has been expected for a while and certainly ever since it became clear that Quinn was coming back. Like Hudson last year, I wish him nothing but the best and hope he ends up somewhere he can showcase his talents. Sark is going to bring in great QB's every year and we need to get used to losing one every year or so to the portal. It is a great problem to have. I think Arch is ready to be backup in CFP and I am not sure I wouldn't have wanted Arch over Maalik anyway in the CFP if Quinn went down so at least now Arch gets all the backup snaps the next three weeks.
Of course this was anticipated but the timing is really poor. The team is on the cusp of something special, and we may have needed him. Maalik had a choice and went his own way, Texas be damned. While Arch may turn out to be better in the long run, there is probably no way with the 20 or so game snaps Arch got this season is he ready to lead the team, if needed, against elite playoff-caliber teams. Arch looked pretty good against a beaten down Tech and Ok State, but those teams aren’t in the same area code as what lies ahead next month. I pray we don’t end up with a GG situation.

All of these guys are chasing money, which is why Maalik is bailing on the team during the playoffs. Ewers is sort of fragile, which has been proven every season. So we really needed Maalik - as much as anyone on the team really - to ensure that we could possibly continue to win if Ewers goes down. What bothers me the most though, is the nonsense about the work they’ve put together as a team and hating to leave that. If you hate leaving so much then just wait four weeks. Ohio State will wait for you.
You really have no idea what's going on, who's recruiting him or who will or won't wait for him.
He needs to get enrolled and move to a new school.
Arch is basically a sophmore now.
I think he will do fine if needed.

Of course this was anticipated but the timing is really poor. The team is on the cusp of something special, and we may have needed him. Maalik had a choice and went his own way, Texas be damned. While Arch may turn out to be better in the long run, there is probably no way with the 20 or so game snaps Arch got this season is he ready to lead the team, if needed, against elite playoff-caliber teams. Arch looked pretty good against a beaten down Tech and Ok State, but those teams aren’t in the same area code as what lies ahead next month. I pray we don’t end up with a GG situation.
Arch is no GG.
He now gets all the snaps in practice MM would have gotten.

We need Maalik most now. If he was going to bail then he should have done it back before the season started.
The beloved Manning would have gotten all the snaps. Of course there is a reason Manning was third string.
Maybe the other back ups and starters should quit as well. The kids need to make the money while they can.

You really have no idea what's going on, who's recruiting him or who will or won't wait for him.
He needs to get enrolled and move to a new school.
Arch is basically a sophmore now.
I think he will do fine if needed.
Maalik doesn’t need to do that now. As Creek posted above, there is a different timetable for folks in the playoff. GG was basically a sophomore too, so that doesn’t really matter. I’m not going to argue against Arch. I hope he ends up a GOAT for Texas. But you really have no idea if that will happen. What we do know for certain is that, like Sark pointed out, Maalik won two games for us - including against a top 25 caliber team. Arch has looked pretty good against a beaten down Tech and Ok State. Based on what we’ve seen, I think Maalik would help us more if needed.

It's disappointing that the timing of Maalik's transfer requires him to miss our bowl game(s). But I understand his future team wanting him ASAP also.

I see him as a Longhorn still, and wish him the best.

Maalik is a talented QB and a great teammate. He deserves playing time at a great school. Unfortunately, he has Ewers ahead of him and likely Arch will pass him next year. Best of luck to him. :hookem:

Recent Threads

Back