2023-24 Transfer Portal Thread (CLosed-Opens APRIL 15TH)

I certainly don't have the insight about all the intricacies that a player entering the portal might have to deal with, the time frames, NIL, etc. But from a purely naive point of view, if I was instrumental in my team making it to the conference championship (and in my mind Maalik was instrumental in that endeavor) I'd want to be on the sidelines with my teammates while we tried for a rare, coveted National Championship. That lasts forever.
Having said all of that, it's his life and decision so I hold no ill will towards the kid.

what would have precluded him from contacting (or being contacted by) and visiting a number of schools over the last couple of weeks…
Perhaps he was waiting for Ewers to express his decision on returning to the team.
While I don't believe Ewers has made a public statement maybe he let Murphy know.
Or maybe Murphy just finally got tired of waiting on Ewers and made a decision best for himself.
He may not of decided to portal two weeks ago.
None of us know the particulars.

who was instrumental in our winning two critical games.
Was he?
In a game with two INTs and a lost fumble was it Murphy or the defense, special teams and the run game?
Could Arch have done any better or worse if he had had all the backup reps?
Not to bag on MM.
He overcame his mistakes and played well.

CNB, how dare you post transfer info on the middle of this Murphy thread!

Which brings me to this thought- what kind of team are we letting all of these guys who quit on their original teams come onto the 40 acres? I mean they gave their word to their original school and even accepted scholarships for higher learning (cuz that's what college is really about, right?) And now they just walk out on their schools right before some of them have the honor to play in the "Made in America, Duct Tape Bowl". Quitters, all of them. No room in a locker room built by Coach Royal for guys that have a 'me-first' mentality like that. Hell I even read that we are offering some of them 6 pairs of Levi's and a season supply of Hostess Twinkies as whatever this NIL stuff is.

When they leave Texas for a better opportunity they are 'quitters' so we should consider them 'quitters' when they come to Texas thinking it's a better opportunity right?!? I mean what's next, is some receiver from Georgia going to quit on his team after 2 National Championships and think he can come here and have the Longhorn faithful cheer for him? Rubbish

This thread should be retitled the quitters thread....

(Sarcasm intended for any Aggies visiting Hornfans)

LawGrad,

I agree with your post, but I am also sure that in each instance you listed, Sark sat down with the young man to discuss his decision, but also to make sure that the "wisdom" being provided him is from a professional source and not some scumbag street agent (sorry for the redundancy)
You left out a**hole

Portal.jpg

With respect to Murphy, I don't think that there were any technical timing issues as the portal time is extended beyond the playoffs for them. I see this as more practical portal issues with all the qb's in the portal, it seems he couldn't wait as favored spots may evaporate or more likely, the programs he is looking at were not willing to wait and be locked out of signing what they would consider an impact portal qb if Murphy didn't choose their program. Of course, this assumes that no deal is already done and him looking around is just portal theater. In any event, good luck to Murphy except if he plays the Horns and hopefully, he will have a long run in the NFL.

I was afraid we would lose Malik. I was hoping QE would leave. You guys complaining about Malik leaving remember thats how we have QE, He left high school and Ohio State. If you heard the fans go crazy when Arch comes in,would you want to stay. He knows he will not start here next year. I wish him luck,but am sorry to see him go.. QE may be a great kid but he is too fragile and slow to stay healthy for a whole year.

Weekend visitors.

WR, Matthew Golden, Houston (Klein Cain)
DE, Tyler Baron, Tennessee (Knoxville Catholic - Knoxville, TN)
S, Andrew Mukuba, Clemson (Austin LBJ)

Dont know really where this belongs, but here based on transfer and flip candidates. Safety or CB, which is more challenging and how interchangeable are they. I played so long ago that they were rather interchangeable. I have seen Kobe Black called a CB and a Safety. Filsaime is always listed as a safety. Other recruits are listed differently by different services. To me, safeties need to be larger and CBs need to be faster every player is right or left handed/footed and move better in one direction than the other. Seems odd, but it is. Any old DBs with better understanding out there?

Recent Threads

Back