2023-2024 Season

Yeah, I'm just not buying Vic's reasons/excuses for the poor non-conference schedule this season and last season. While some finesse teams wouldn't want to play Texas, there are plenty of coaches (Georgia, Ole Miss, Louisville, etc.) who play tough basketball who I doubt wouldn't like the idea of facing off against Texas.

Not that I've looked at the schedules for each of the Big 12 teams, but none of those I've seen published are very impressive... in fact, less impressive than ours. Anyone else seen a better one? I'd like to know because it seems the Big 12 teams put together weak schedules every year. Ours seems to typically be the toughest, and I admit ours doesn't impress me much either.

NET rankings have taken away teams desires to play a tough schedule. Why take a chance and lose to an equal opponent when you can play a directional school and win by 50 and be rewarded.

NET rankings have taken away teams desires to play a tough schedule. Why take a chance and lose to an equal opponent when you can play a directional school and win by 50 and be rewarded.
Very unfortunate. Jody always had a very competitive schedule even after the "glory years." I felt Karen always seemed to seek a tough schedule also... far better than KM did at Baylor. I hope Vic can do better next year. They want people to buy season tickets, but not a whole lot of fans with competitive spirits want to pay to see a bunch of yawners.

Unfortunately for those like me who want a home schedule chalked with “name brand” schools, times are changing. We just saw LSU play an atrocious schedule and be rewarded for it. If the ultimate goal is to win a titles, I’m all for the path of least resistance. Get a few games (ASU, AZ, USF, Uconn) that will expose weaknesses and use the rest of the games to build good habits and get new players comfortable in their new roles while you bring the others along from significant injuries.

Unfortunately for those like me who want a home schedule chalked with “name brand” schools, times are changing. We just saw LSU play an atrocious schedule and be rewarded for it. If the ultimate goal is to win a titles, I’m all for the path of least resistance. Get a few games (ASU, AZ, USF, Uconn) that will expose weaknesses and use the rest of the games to build good habits and get new players comfortable in their new roles while you bring the others along from significant injuries.
Great observations. I guess one can't really argue with that formula seeing the level of success it has brought KM as HC of two programs and AC at another. I don't like it, but it appears to be effective. I'm old school... If I think I have a top program, then I want to play others who think they have a top program.

Last edited:
Should we be concerned that there seem to be no announcements for radio broadcasts for womens' sports, including basketball. 104.9 the Horn lost the football contract back to 1300 the Zone but baseball and women's sports are not included in the announcement. CDC should have bundled them or they should be arranging for a campus station to carry the Lady Horns. I will be very mad at UT if they left out women's sports.

I think Van Lith unintentionally and inadvertently lit a fire under Rori. She has her shooting touch back.

G Sarah Graves moved from walk-on to scholarship today…this isn’t uncommon for walk-ons in their senior season but Sarah is just a sophomore.

From ESPN's article about the best player in every conference:

Rori Harmon, 5-6, G, Texas Longhorns

One of the best defensive players in the country regardless of position, Harmon is the glue that kept the Longhorns together on their way to a share of the Big 12 regular-season title. Her 7.4 assists per game were a program record, and she and Caitlin Clark were the only players in the country last season to average over 11 points, seven assists and five rebounds.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college...ege-basketball-2023-24-conference-player-year

Zig, where did you read this? It's great news and I'd like to read it too.
Interview with Vic and Blair from last month. Just found it this morning.

I wish I knew when this interview occurred, because it dovetails with what I saw from Rori in practice. At the 34:30 mark, Vic says "Funny, you know the last two days, she's probably shot the ball as good as she's shot at any two days since she's been here."

It has obviously been an emphasis for Rori, and it shows.

Last edited:
Television broadcast schedule released:

Big 12 announces TV slate for Women’s Basketball - University of Texas Athletics

upload_2023-10-11_8-7-54.png

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back