2023-2024 Season

As much as I’m looking forward to Orange-White and start of WBB tomorrow night. I will gladly delay my hoops excitement if we can pull off heist of the century tonight against the Hated Stros. GO RANGERS!

I've never been as critical of Charlie Creme as some on this board but saying Texas "might have" the best backcourt in the Big12 is just stupid. From his Top 25:

19. Texas Longhorns
A talented, veteran backcourt is a good foundation; Texas might have the best in the Big 12. Rori Harmon is a front-runner for Big 12 Player of the Year, and Shaylee Gonzales (12.7 PPG) now has a season of experience as a Longhorn after three high-scoring seasons at BYU. Harmon shook off an early-season foot injury to set a program record with 7.4 assists per game and earn Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year last season. Getting 6-1 junior Aaliyah Moore back and keeping her healthy will be a key. She was averaging 11.8 points through nine games before an injury ended her season. Taylor Jones, who missed nine games, and 6-2 DeYona Gaston combined to score over 21 points and grab 10 rebounds a contest and would benefit greatly playing alongside Moore. The addition of top-15-rated freshman wing Madison Booker should also bolster an inconsistent offense that especially struggled late in the season. Preseason AP rank: 13

Tech wbb lost to Northern Arizona in a scrimmage by 5 for those keeping track
No secret the Sand Witch is my least favorite of all the coaches and Tech is tied with Baylor for my most despised. That said I love to see them struggle against weak opponents, but she's found a way to give Vic a couple of L's. I've got to give her credit for that. Hopefully that won't be the case this season.

Don't see either Boutilier or Gaston in that group photo; while I did not expect Gaston to play against USC, I thought she might make the trip just from the team-bonding aspect.

Is Texas Athletics sharing our emails? Somehow started getting emails from Liberty University so I hit unsubscribe. It gave me a list of reasons for unsubscribing and one of them was “I don’t remember opting in” which I checked. It also provided a box to write a comment and I wrote “I didn’t opt in you SOBs”

ESPN's Best/Worst Case Scenarios for their Top 25 teams:

19. Texas Longhorns
Best case: Despite a bunch of injuries, Texas managed to share the Big 12 regular-season title and get to the conference tournament championship game last season. Good health in 2023-24 brings much more success. Rori Harmon cruises to player of the year and defensive player of the year honors and the Longhorns decisively win the Big 12 regular-season and tournament. Freshman Madison Booker develops into a reliable scorer. A No. 2 seed leads to an Elite Eight appearance, spearheaded by one of the nation's best defenses.

Worst case: The offensive problems that plagued Texas at the worst times a year ago don't improve much. Aaliyah Moore struggles to reestablish herself after missing most of last season, and Booker doesn't have an immediate impact. Too much is asked of Harmon and Shaylee Gonzales, and the Longhorns wilt late in the season, suffering another loss in the second round of the NCAA tournament.

How far can every women's Top 25 team really go this season?

I think our best case is a final four appearance, not a wash out in the round of eight. Otherwise, I can't disagree with the analysis.

Note De with a boot on the far left of the still picture.
Thanks for pointing that out.

So, we can rule out a knee injury, right?

I know "ankle" has been stated since the scrimmage 7 days ago by Danny Davis (who seems to be getting that info from someone at Texas, although Vic hasn't mentioned it directly that I recall). Strange that still no word from Vic or even Gaston on her social media. All we know is she did not appear to have traveled to Las Vegas with the team to scrimmage against USC this past weekend.

So, some type of ankle or foot injury. Could be a sprain. Could be ligament damage. Could be a bone (hairline) fracture. Hoping for the best.

Predicted injury update for Midwestern State scrimmage:
  • Jordana = much further along than I ever hoped or expected; will play
  • Gisella = fully back
  • Amo = long-shot surprise player. Liberty in 12 days?
  • De = out. Boot and crutch.
  • Abbie = out
  • Tiona = out
Team did well in weekend scrimmage. Minutes are precious on this stacked roster.

Last edited:
Classic Kirk Bohls - writes a long-winded article about a topic he doesn't bother to consistently engage in.
  • "stud center Aaliyah Moore"
  • "He used to coach at Mississippi State, a program he took to the Final Four" - National Championship games in back to back years.
  • "walk-on Sarah Graves"
I'm not going to read because Bohls is a dumb*#%, but I would sure like to the status or Gaston and Moore.

Madison listed among the Top Impact Freshmen on ESPN this morning:

i
Madison Booker
Texas
Guard/forward, 6-1

Booker brings a versatility to Austin that makes her unlike any player on the Texas roster. As a guard and forward, she will be able to play multiple positions for Vic Schaefer and the Longhorns. Booker is a strong and skilled athlete whose best quality on the floor may be her passing skills. She is a threat from the 3, both in catch and shoot and off the bounce plays, which should help space the floor in their dribble-drive system and allow her to attack gaps at get to the rim or create for others. It is no secret that defensive ability and effort are a requirement to get on the floor at Texas. Booker is savvy and understands rotation and will excel in their press and pressure system. She has embraced that intensity and understands the work it takes so expect to see her on the floor for many meaningful minutes this season. Texas could focus on utilizing her mismatch potential with four guard lineups and possibly even some minutes as a backup point guard to Rori Harmon. Booker's demeanor and unselfish will nature allow her make an imprint all over the floor. She was also on the U19 USA Basketball team that won gold in Spain this summer.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back