2023-2024 Season

No way Amina gets sidelined with the way she’s played this season. I believe Mwenentanda and Faye will lose out on minutes once Gaston and Moore return. We have a very deep team so minutes will be hard to come by.
I think this is exactly right. Faye has not played poorly by any stretch, but she hasn't really stood out either.

I am very excited to see how Booker and Moore play together.

No way Amina gets sidelined with the way she’s played this season. I believe Mwenentanda and Faye will lose out on minutes once Gaston and Moore return. We have a very deep team so minutes will be hard to come by.
Always nice to be able to say "deep team". So, Taylor and Amo start at 4 and 5? Rori at 1, Shaylee at 2? Booker at 3? Amina, Mwenentanda, Shay, Faye looking for playing time. And then comes Dee. What a problem to have!

Always nice to be able to say "deep team". So, Taylor and Amo start at 4 and 5? Rori at 1, Shaylee at 2? Booker at 3? Amina, Mwenentanda, Shay, Faye looking for playing time. And then comes Dee. What a problem to have!
Exactly. But don't be surprised if 2023/24 is atypical in not having any portal transfer outs. Especially with the further depth provided by the incoming recruiting class and the likely return of a couple of Seniors.

The portal effectively relieves this type of logjam.

Last edited:
I guess that depends on a player being able to play more than one position.

Faye is a Center. So, with Jones and now Herron playing that same spot, I don't think we need Gaston or Moore to play at Center, especially Moore who is only 6'1.

I thought Mwenentanda was playing small forward, and not power forward. So, Gaston and Moore getting their minutes at PF would not affect Mwenentanda (at least I don't think).

Regardless, I think Moore and Gaston will be eased into the lineups with limited minutes. Moore especially will not be playing the minutes she was playing last season prior to the injury until she is back in game shape/form. Gaston's ankle injury didn't require the extensive rehab as Moore's knee; so, I'd say her minutes depend on how much pain she can play through. As we know, both can get into foul trouble.

I guess that depends on a player being able to play more than one position.

Faye is a Center. So, with Jones and now Herron playing that same spot, I don't think we need Gaston or Moore to play at Center, especially Moore who is only 6'1.

I thought Mwenentanda was playing small forward, and not power forward. So, Gaston and Moore getting their minutes at PF would not affect Mwenentanda (at least I don't think).

Regardless, I think Moore and Gaston will be eased into the lineups with limited minutes. Moore especially will not be playing the minutes she was playing last season prior to the injury until she is back in game shape/form. Gaston's ankle injury didn't require the extensive rehab as Moore's knee; so, I'd say her minutes depend on how much pain she can play through. As we know, both can get into foul trouble.
:bullseye:

Mooo is right on. Moore will be slowly interjected into mix over this tournament week. Nice to have 3 games close together for that. There are 200 playing minutes per game. Moore and Gaston will ultimately play 20-25 minutes per game each. They are 2 of best players and won’t be sitting. With the team makeup, it would appear both are playing same position (power forward). Certainly depending on matchups, they could be playing together. Any way you split up that turducken, there are fewer minutes left. Harmon will play her 30+ and Taylor gets her 25. The rest of the team will have to adjust to reduced minutes and it will vary game to game. Nice problem to have. Hurry back Gaston.

As Moooooo eluded to, more fouls to give. Not a bad thing playing in Vic’s aggressive defense with comparable talent from the bench to step in.

Honest, I didn't use ChatGPT! Just off the top of my head.

Having a deep bench in women's college basketball can provide a team with several advantages, contributing to overall success and performance. Here are some key benefits:
  1. Fatigue Management:
    • Women's college basketball games can be physically demanding, and having a deep bench allows teams to manage player fatigue effectively. Coaches can rotate players in and out of the game to keep them fresh, maintaining a high level of intensity throughout the contest.
  2. Injury Mitigation:
    • Injuries are a part of sports, and having a deep bench provides a team with the flexibility to replace injured players without a significant drop in overall skill and performance. This depth helps maintain team competitiveness even when key players are sidelined.
  3. Matchup Flexibility:
    • A deep bench allows coaches to adapt their lineup based on the strengths and weaknesses of the opposing team. Different players may excel in specific matchups, providing the team with strategic advantages.
  4. Development and Competition:
    • A deep bench creates a competitive environment within the team. Players must continually work hard to earn playing time, which fosters individual skill development and contributes to overall team improvement.
  5. Diverse Skill Sets:
    • A deep roster often means a diverse set of skills among players. This diversity can be an asset, as teams can leverage various talents for different game situations, whether it's three-point shooting, defensive prowess, or playmaking abilities.
  6. Team Chemistry:
    • With a deep bench, players have the opportunity to build strong on-court chemistry through practice and game experience. This cohesion can lead to better teamwork, communication, and understanding among teammates.
  7. Strategic Substitutions:
    • Coaches can make strategic substitutions based on the flow of the game. For example, bringing in a player with specific skills to exploit a mismatch or to counter the opponent's strategy can be crucial in tight situations.
  8. Pressure-Free Development:
    • A deep bench allows younger or less experienced players to develop their skills in lower-pressure situations, gradually easing them into more significant roles as they gain confidence and competence.
  9. Endurance in Tournaments:
    • During tournament play, teams often face a series of games in a short period. Having a deep bench ensures that players are better equipped to handle the physical demands of multiple games, increasing the team's chances of success in postseason play.
In summary, a deep bench in women's college basketball contributes to the overall strength and resilience of a team, providing advantages in terms of player management, strategic flexibility, and long-term development.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Last edited:
Honest, I didn't use ChatGPT! Just off the top of my head.

Having a deep bench in women's college basketball can provide a team with several advantages, contributing to overall success and performance. Here are some key benefits:
  1. Fatigue Management:
    • Women's college basketball games can be physically demanding, and having a deep bench allows teams to manage player fatigue effectively. Coaches can rotate players in and out of the game to keep them fresh, maintaining a high level of intensity throughout the contest.
  2. Injury Mitigation:
    • Injuries are a part of sports, and having a deep bench provides a team with the flexibility to replace injured players without a significant drop in overall skill and performance. This depth helps maintain team competitiveness even when key players are sidelined.
  3. Matchup Flexibility:
    • A deep bench allows coaches to adapt their lineup based on the strengths and weaknesses of the opposing team. Different players may excel in specific matchups, providing the team with strategic advantages.
  4. Development and Competition:
    • A deep bench creates a competitive environment within the team. Players must continually work hard to earn playing time, which fosters individual skill development and contributes to overall team improvement.
  5. Diverse Skill Sets:
    • A deep roster often means a diverse set of skills among players. This diversity can be an asset, as teams can leverage various talents for different game situations, whether it's three-point shooting, defensive prowess, or playmaking abilities.
  6. Team Chemistry:
    • With a deep bench, players have the opportunity to build strong on-court chemistry through practice and game experience. This cohesion can lead to better teamwork, communication, and understanding among teammates.
  7. Strategic Substitutions:
    • Coaches can make strategic substitutions based on the flow of the game. For example, bringing in a player with specific skills to exploit a mismatch or to counter the opponent's strategy can be crucial in tight situations.
  8. Pressure-Free Development:
    • A deep bench allows younger or less experienced players to develop their skills in lower-pressure situations, gradually easing them into more significant roles as they gain confidence and competence.
  9. Endurance in Tournaments:
    • During tournament play, teams often face a series of games in a short period. Having a deep bench ensures that players are better equipped to handle the physical demands of multiple games, increasing the team's chances of success in postseason play.
In summary, a deep bench in women's college basketball contributes to the overall strength and resilience of a team, providing advantages in terms of player management, strategic flexibility, and long-term development.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Thanks for the wonderful insight and information. And, Happy right back at you!

I think this is exactly right. Faye has not played poorly by any stretch, but she hasn't really stood out either.

I am very excited to see how Booker and Moore play together.
Yep, Faye started off strongly, but has waned the last two games. I know she was sick a game or two ago. Perhaps it was something that was lingering?

I don’t know if it’s all that sudden, there were a lot of pieces written while Griner was imprisoned in Russia about Mulkey’s black hearted silence.

I saw no lies in this one.

I’m just noticing that Emily Ryan has not played in any of Iowa States’s games this season as she is out indefinitely with a “health related issue”. Not many familiar faces there it seems this season where they sit at 2-3

Boy, no love lost here.

LSU coach Kim Mulkey and a history of callousness (andscape.com)

Is all this sudden disdain a result of Angel Reese not playing, or are folks just finally fed up with Mulkey's I'm-better-than-you responses?
This is where I've been responding to people who are "shocked, absolutely shocked" about her behavior. We've known about it all these years, and yet recruits and transfers still flock to her. You see the LSU parents fighting between each other, but not pointing the finger at Mulkey. She gets a pass because she's won 3 NCs and they (kids) want to be part of the winning so they can play pro. If someone points out that she'll just abandon you once your use to her as a player is over, they just shrug and say, "Okay. Fine."

When we tried to point it out to people when she coaching Baylor, everyone just said, "Sour Grapes Texas, Sour Grapes".

I'm just surprised to see this criticism came from ESPN's Andscape. After all, ESPN has been singing Mulkey's praises for the last year. Every day or so, you get coverage from ESPN on LSU and a couple of other teams as if they're the only ones that are newsworthy. So, for one of these gilded teams to get brought down a peg is saying something about how ESPN now views Mulkey.

Moved up to #5 in AP poll. How many expected us to be ranked ahead of LSU today?
1 S Carolina
2 UCLA
3 NCSt
4 Iowa
5 Texas
6 Southern Cal
7 LSU
8 Colorado
9 Stanford
10 Baylor
13 KSU
17 UConn

Last edited:
I haven’t been able to determine if Texas at Arizona will be broadcast anywhere. Anybody know?

Don't know about broadcast TV, but certainly ESPN+.

Texas WBB schedule says it will be broadcast on the PAC12 Network - unless something’s changed, it isn’t like LHN, ACC Network or SEC Network (owned or operated by ESPN) so I wouldn’t guarantee it’ll be available on ESPN+. One of the many bad ideas/decisions of former PAC12 commissioner Larry Scott that eventually led to his and the conference’s demise.

Don't know about broadcast TV, but certainly ESPN+.
It’s not showing ESPN+ yet that I can tell
Texas WBB schedule says it will be broadcast on the PAC12 Network - unless something’s changed, it isn’t like LHN, ACC Network or SEC Network (owned or operated by ESPN) so I wouldn’t guarantee it’ll be available on ESPN+. One of the many bad ideas/decisions of former PAC12 commissioner Larry Scott that eventually led to his and the conference’s demise.
Oh that’s right, PAC 12 tv is not affiliated with ESPN so that’s why I can’t find it there.

Rats! I'm seeing the same thing, nothing on the ESPN+ calendar for the 13th. FuboTV has a 7-day free trial and they carry the Pac12 network.

Last edited:

Recent Threads

Back