2023-2024 Season

I'm suprised so many here are giving up on our team and season so quickly. First there has been no new about Rori. Hopefully its nothing season ending. We are a team, more than just one person. I'm pretty sure no matter what Coach and the entire team have not given up on nothing. This is a good team. I beleive we will be just fine until we are not. Can't speak for anyone but I'm All In.:bevo:

Malcolm, I don't think "many" are jumping overboard yet. Just expressing our trepidation!:oops:

If you know Vic, he'll still find a way for this team to be incredibly competitive. But not getting that backup PG in the offseason is gonna really haunt us. Madi did a great job the other night, albeit against Jackson St. As unfair as it might be, she is about to have to take over. This is her team now.

What happened has happened! Not much we can do now. Not to stay too negative but is there any possibility she can get a red shirt year out of this???

Rori doesn't qualify for a medical redshirt as she's played in too many games. Looks like we get her for one more season. 2024-2025.

I audibly gasped when I saw the tweet.

What happened has happened! Not much we can do now. Not to stay too negative but is there any possibility she can get a red shirt year out of this???
I looked up the redshirt rules. 4 games or 30% of your team's total season games (whichever is larger). She's already played in 12 and and we have 31 games scheduled.

What is the status of Taylor Jones? I haven’t read anything. I guess I missed it. So sad for Rori, but Madison Booker definitely has the feel of a special type player. Looks like a couple of special players coming on board next year too. Hook ‘em!

If you know Vic, he'll still find a way for this team to be incredibly competitive. But not getting that backup PG in the offseason is gonna really haunt us. Madi did a great job the other night, albeit against Jackson St. As unfair as it might be, she is about to have to take over. This is her team now.
Yep. Some folks on here jumped down my throat for stating that our staff failed with our biggest need in the offseason. Luck was with the team one year ago that Rori was only out a handful of games to start the season and lack of a true backup PG wasn't detrimental to the entire season. Not learning from last year's unfortunate circumstances befuddles me.

Again... the staff tried to pull in another guard. Did we fail in our attempts? Yep we did. But nobody was coming in here to "automatically" be a reserve PG. Perhaps, with Rori's injury and subsequent rehabilitation, we will become a little more attractive. We'll see.

Well... we have a definitive answer now so I will try my best for the remainder of this season not to say "If Rori had been playing..." because the reality is that she"s not going to. This is definitely about the darkest cloud that could come over our program, but there's a silver lining somewhere and perhaps that means Booker matures even faster. Maybe Jac will also because I feel she's going to have to play more now.

Man this is tough but I expect Coach to turn up the defense big time. Defense could be the key to our season. I suspect there will be some growth pains at first. I must remain optimistic cause its just what I do.:bevo:

Man this is tough but I expect Coach to turn up the defense big time. Defense could be the key to our season. I suspect there will be some growth pains at first. I must remain optimistic cause its just what I do.:bevo:

You could be right. But, we can't afford to get Booker in Gonzales into foul trouble, and have them wear down as they will be the primary ball-handlers. I see reduced minutes in our full court press; we can't have Booker and Gonzales chasing quick guards like Sara Andrews and JJ Quinerly from behind.

As I said on Wednesday, it's a wrap. The goal now for this team should be trying to make the tournament. Vic also has to not be so bull headed and adjust to his personnel. Without Rori they don't have the quickness on the perimeter to play aggressive man to man nor the ability to beat people off the dribble with dribble drive.

The game verses Baylor won't be close. Baylor's guard play with Andrews and their ultra quick guard that they picked up this off season from Kentucky will be too much without Rori.

You could be right. But, we can't afford to get Booker in Gonzales into foul trouble, and have them wear down as they will be the primary ball-handlers. I see reduced minutes in our full court press; we can't have Booker and Gonzales chasing quick guards like Sara Andrews and JJ Quinerly from behind.
I just think Coach will be Coach. I don't think he will coach away from a problem before it exist. But only time will tell.

Each Big 12 opponent will provide different challenges. There will be struggles. In many ways, this team will have to re-invent itself during conference play; that's not easy.

It's one thing when you lose a starter and you then make their bench backup the starter; it's another thing when you start shuffling your starters into different roles 13 games into the season. The benefit we do have is team experience as Holle, Gaston, and Moore have been starters before; Holle specifically will most likely be the new starter on the wing.

In some ways, this is similar to when Clarissa Davis went down with her knee injury (in the Orange Bowl tournament in Miami?) back in 1987; that team then got throttled in their next game or two. By the end of the season, they were Elite 8 quality. The parity is a lot greater now than it was 35 years ago; but, this team has enough talent and overall experience to make a run at the Sweet 16.

Well... we have a definitive answer now so I will try my best for the remainder of this season not to say "If Rori had been playing..." because the reality is that she"s not going to. This is definitely about the darkest cloud that could come over our program, but there's a silver lining somewhere and perhaps that means Booker matures even faster. Maybe Jac will also because I feel she's going to have to play more now.
Yeah, feels like crap now and I too am going to try and not make this a "what if" season. It's going to take me a while to accept the new normal, but if there's a coach that can make this work it's Vic. Jak and Gisella may surprise us and Booker may be young but she's the truth. Just wish we had a few more gimmes to sort this out before Baylor. Buckle up and Hook em!

Each Big 12 opponent will provide different challenges. There will be struggles. In many ways, this team will have to re-invent itself during conference play; that's not easy.

It's one thing when you lose a starter and you then make their bench backup the starter; it's another thing when you start shuffling your starters into different roles 13 games into the season. The benefit we do have is team experience as Holle, Gaston, and Moore have been starters before; Holle specifically will most likely be the new starter on the wing.

In some ways, this is similar to when Clarissa Davis went down with her knee injury (in the Orange Bowl tournament in Miami?) back in 1987; that team then got throttled in their next game or two. By the end of the season, they were Elite 8 quality. The parity is a lot greater now than it was 35 years ago; but, this team has enough talent and overall experience to make a run at the Sweet 16.

Agreed. It's going to take a few games to get used to our new legs so to speak. There will be some ugly wins and probably an ugly loss here and there. But if everyone else stays healthy this team makes the post season.

I looked up the redshirt rules. 4 games or 30% of your team's total season games (whichever is larger). She's already played in 12 and and we have 31 games scheduled.
She played in 11 as I don’t think you count an exhibition but I could be wrong. If we go deep in both B12 tourney and NCAA tourney and play 36 games total, I think she would qualify for a redshirt but I’m am just guessing on that exhibition assumption. Am I wrong in my calculations? I believe we played 36 last year winning B12 but going out in second round of NCAA

As I said on Wednesday, it's a wrap. The goal now for this team should be trying to make the tournament. Vic also has to not be so bull headed and adjust to his personnel. Without Rori they don't have the quickness on the perimeter to play aggressive man to man nor the ability to beat people off the dribble with dribble drive.

The game verses Baylor won't be close. Baylor's guard play with Andrews and their ultra quick guard that they picked up this off season from Kentucky will be too much without Rori.
Blah. Blah. Blah. On Wednesday you said we wouldn’t make the tournament which I find laughable with the talent we still have.

I said this pretty much this exact same thing to a friend. So far this season we have been a team that said "Here we come and this is what we're going to do... try to stop us." We are now going to have to rely heavily on playing chess the rest for the different matchup challenges we're going to face. Aside from losing the engine that made us go, the worst part is that it comes as conference play begins and it just so happens that our toughest stretch is at the front end.

Interestingly enough, I was also talking about the year we lost Clarissa and how we lost two straight games, then went all the way to the Elite 8 and lost in OT to eventual national champion Louisiana Tech. Parity is definitely much greater now, and also back then we still had Bev Williams and Yolanda Wimbish in the back court.

Absolutely devastating. I feel horrible for her and the team. And just a couple of games too many for a Medical RS.

I still this team will play with heart and find a way to win a lot of games.

I hope Jones is available today. That would leave DeYona, Aaliyah, Jak, and Amina to rotate in and out to cover for Madison as she plays point. Hope Shaylee doesn't play too much point, other than to give Madison a break. (Shaylee, in my opinion, tries to get too cute with dribbling the ball and is prone to turnovers.) Would rather see Gisella come in for a spell.

She played in 11 as I don’t think you count an exhibition but I could be wrong. If we go deep in both B12 tourney and NCAA tourney and play 36 games total, I think she would qualify for a redshirt but I’m am just guessing on that exhibition assumption. Am I wrong in my calculations? I believe we played 36 last year winning B12 but going out in second round of NCAA
I did the math on this and there’s only one way Rori meets the 30% requirement for a medical red shirt. We have to make it to the big 12 tournament final, and we also have to make it to the NCAA final. That’s the only way to hit 30% on the dot. I’m afraid this is going to be a Stephanie Sores situation and the medical RS will get denied. And even worse, don’t these injuries take about a year to heal?

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-GEORGIA *
Sat, Oct 19 • 6:30 PM on ABC

Recent Threads

Back