2023-2024 Season

ESPN Bracketology has Texas at a #2 seed in #1 South Carolina’s Region with #3 UCONN. If things keep going in the same direction it wouldn’t surprise me at all to see the committee look for that Texas UConn rematch.

Texas is #4 in the all important NET Rankings behind South Carolina, Stanford and UConn.

Job one is take care of Big 12 play business especially those rematches with KSU and OU

For those of us InstaGram challenged, has she reported on her post-surgery rehab yet? I imagine she has to go slow until the wound heals.
She's got 3 videos - first one has rehabbing exercises [all too familiar to me from my recent fracture recovery]. Her commentary says they are from her first post-surgery week, then two showing working out in the training room with the brace on. Not sure if pre- or post- surgery. Shooting baskets from a chair.

Oklahoma leading the conference now. Who would have thought that in November-December?
They've also played most of their games against the teams at the bottom half of the conference standings. They also only play Baylor once and KSU once.

You know, there has been concern and grumbling it seems, after we lost Rori. Asking if Vic could adjust without his star PG and wondering why Shaylee and Shay have lost their basketball scoring "mojo".

I decided to look at where we are right now this season and compare it to where we were at this same point in the season the last couple of years under Vic.

At the 24 game mark:
2023-2024: 21-3
2022-2023: 18-6
2021-2022: 18-6
2020-2021 (first year as HC and under COVID): 16-8

My recency-bias brain was stunned that this is the best year, at this time, under Vic. Surely when we went to the Elite 8 those first two years......we were better? No? Now is the best time ever? Really?

Maybe because I'm a spoiled brat and we didn't get to "at least" the Elite 8 last year I entered this year a bit on the down side. Maybe it's because losing Rori just when things were heating up. Maybe because we lost to our arch enemies Baylor and then OU (losing to a healthy Ayoka Lee is nothing to be ashamed of).

Maybe without a PG like Rori we're not going to make the Elite 8 this year, again.

But dang, Vic can recruit and coach up those recruits.

I think Vic overuses the word "special", but in the case of Madison Booker, it is spot on.

It would be wonderful if she is named national freshman of the year. She is consistent, comes through for us every game. I expect national bias (51 points!) to be a hindrance.
:hookem:

It would be wonderful if she is named national freshman of the year. She is consistent, comes through for us every game. I expect national bias (51 points!) to be a hindrance.
:hookem:
I think National FOY was decided, judging by media attention, before the season began. Watkins definitely does some incredible things... she's really good! I'll argue for Madison because she's had to play completely out of her natural position and thrived in taking over the leadership of our team. That's a huge load that she's carried exceptionally well.

You have to look at the entire season for these awards, IMO. While Booker has had to switch positions, she did play the first 12 games of the season at her natural position. At that point, her numbers were not comparable to that of Hidalgo or Watkins or even a couple of other freshmen.

She now has 12 games under her belt as the starting PG. I think she's done an incredible job for us under such unfortunate circumstances. But, she might not even get Big 12 FOY based on the season Audi Crooks at ISU is having.

At our next Press Conference:
Kirk Bohls - "So Madison, you are National Freshman of the Week. Given that, how does it feel to know that you were not perfect in every game you played?"

She now has 12 games under her belt as the starting PG. I think she's done an incredible job for us under such unfortunate circumstances. But, she might not even get Big 12 FOY based on the season Audi Crooks at ISU is having.
Considering Rori got robbed of Big12 POTY last season so Ashley Joens could get a nice send off…

Crooks is having a good season but if you look at what Madison has done during conference play and against ranked opponents, I’d say she should have a shot at not just FOTY but POTY as well.

Considering Rori got robbed of Big12 POTY last season so Ashley Joens could get a nice send off…

Crooks is having a good season but if you look at what Madison has done during conference play and against ranked opponents, I’d say she should have a shot at not just FOTY but POTY as well.

I'm sure the remaining Big 12 coaches will want to give Texas a "send off" to the SEC by honoring any of our players with awards.

Texas volleyball was awarded 2 players on the Big 12 conference first team; the same number as Houston. Somehow BYU managed 3 first-teamers; same for Kansas along with Coach of the Year for finishing 3 full games behind 1st place Texas.

2023 All-Big 12 Volleyball Awards Revealed - Big 12 Conference (big12sports.com)

If it’s even close, the Texas player won’t be getting the award I’m afraid based on recent pettiness in the B12. I will never get over Lexi Denarski getting defensive player of the year over Rori. That was shameful. As noted above the volleyball awards were a joke this past season

I'm sure the remaining Big 12 coaches will want to give Texas a "send off" to the SEC by honoring any of our players with awards.

Texas volleyball was awarded 2 players on the Big 12 conference first team; the same number as Houston. Somehow BYU managed 3 first-teamers; same for Kansas along with Coach of the Year for finishing 3 full games behind 1st place Texas.

2023 All-Big 12 Volleyball Awards Revealed - Big 12 Conference (big12sports.com)
Because we did what we were expected to do. Kansas overachieved. Couple that with the Big XII's general butthurt attitude, and you wind up with those types of situations.

Because we did what we were expected to do. Kansas overachieved. Couple that with the Big XII's general butthurt attitude, and you wind up with those types of situations.
With that logic, it makes one wonder how Pat Summitt, Geno Auriemma, Nick Saban, Eddie Reese and Patti Gasso ever won a conference COY or national COY award during their national championship seasons.

A coach overachieving isn’t anymore remarkable than a coach who has done the work to recruit and build a strong program. The B12 awards have made no sense for years. Our leaving didnt stop Vic from getting COY last year, but that same COY for some reason had a bunch of players who weren’t award worthy. Explain that one. :idk:

With that logic, it makes one wonder how Pat Summitt, Geno Auriemma, Nick Saban, Eddie Reese and Patti Gasso ever won a conference COY or national COY award during their national championship seasons.
Notice I coupled that logic with "the Big XII's general butthurt attitude".

Texas will probably end up the highest ranked team and most likely end up 3rd in the Big12. RPI looks good though!

Texas will probably end up the highest ranked team and most likely end up 3rd in the Big12. RPI looks good though!

You're right it could very well end up that way. If we split with OU... then KSU, OU, and us will have each split with one another. Should they both end up with only two losses to our three, then the difference will be the fact we split with Baylor while each of them only played Baylor once. I hate the scheduling imbalance but it is what it is. We need WVU, BU, and ISU to do us a couple of favors.

Last edited:

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back