2023-2024 Season

Expectations certainly changed. TODAY…..this team is still a Sweet 16 or perhaps an Elite 8. That assumes Jones comes back and no other calamities. There will be some fast quick teams that will pressure us now. Both full court and half court. I sometimes overlooked that teams don’t try full court pressure because of Harmon. Not now. Booker, Maul and Gonzalez can handle the point adequately against most teams. Defensively, it’s a game changer. The pressure full court defense just lost its bite. I’m interested in how Schaefer adjusts to Andrew’s today.

We seem largely in agreement that this is not the same team without Rori on the floor. Who could possibly think otherwise with such a big hit? I keep thinking about our game at UConn last year, and without her, I believe also without AMo, and with Shaylee playing point, Texas only lost by 7 points in that away game. A sad fact, but there is team experience in terms of playing without Rori. The team is clearly playing an arch rival today but they are a much improved unit from last year, with sophomores that received significant playing time and experience as freshmen, a returned AMo (starting to see glimmers of her OG self), and an amazing freshman in Booker, and with Gaston, and hopefully Jones, in the mix. There is plenty to work on, and we may not pull off the win today, but I’d be very surprised and even more disappointed if we don’t bring the Texas Fight to the floor. Go get this TexasWBB!

Off topic: watching the Michigan vs Ohio St game leading up to ours where Celeste Taylor is having quite a game but what I really want to mention is that I caught a glimpse of Ariel Atkins on the Michigan bench. I somehow missed that she’s an Assistant Coach in her first year there.

Off topic: watching the Michigan vs Ohio St game leading up to ours where Celeste Taylor is having quite a game but what I really want to mention is that I caught a glimpse of Ariel Atkins on the Michigan bench. I somehow missed that she’s an Assistant Coach in her first year there.

I saw that as well. Good for Ariel, she will be an excellent coach!

With Madison being more involved with having her hands on the ball, I expect her to climb up this list of freshmen, big time!
Ranking JuJu Watkins and women's college basketball's best freshmen
Great point. I do think Madi's numbers will go way up and so will her perceived standing. Also, in looking at this list, Hidalgo's numbers are amazing. She was so tailor-made for Vic's system. I get that she probably didn't put us in her finalist list b/c we already had an AA PG, but I still don't get going to ND when they had one too. Seems like her or Miles would be inclined to portal out before the end of their eligibility.

Nice win in Morgantown. This was the game in the early B12 schedule that had me most worried. I wondered whether the Tech beatdown on the road was an anomaly or a prelude of things to come.

I have no quarrel with how our B12 schedule was drafted.
B12.png

Texas plays five teams on a home-and-home basis and another eight teams one time. If you assume that away games are most difficult, I'm liking that our remaining three Away Only games are against VERY beatable teams. Our Home Only games also appear eminently winnable.

That leaves three games against Baylor and Kansas St that will either make or break our season. Next Saturday vs Kansas St is shaping up as a game that will tell.

Last edited:

Madison Booker, a 6-1 freshman forward from Ridgeland, Miss., has rejuvented No. 10 Texas’ prospects for March Madness success, recently moving to point guard after Rori Harmon, the Big 12 preseason player of the year, went down with a knee injury. In a 2-0 week for the Longhorns, her performance was such that she was elevated to USBWA national player status and the Big 12 likewise Monday raised her from the freshman level for its awards. She averaged 16.5 points, 9.0 rebounds and 6.5 assists while shooting 50 percent from the field and 13-for-14 from the line. Her play Saturday at No. 24 West Virginia resulted in a 70-49 victory knocking the Mountaineers from the dwindling list of Division I unbeatens and its second best start in school history as Booker gained her first career double-double with 15 points and 12 rebounds.

Someone please check my math. Looking at our roster and ahead to next season, I'm coming up a scholarship short. My assumptions are:
  • Coach permits the eligible seniors, i.e., Jones, Faye, Gaston and Holle, to return for their 5th year
  • Sarah Graves does not remain on scholarship
The scholarship count would then be:

upload_2024-1-15_11-27-10.png

So, 16 players with the limit at 15. If this count is correct, it suggests we lose 1 or 2 to the portal and/or 1 or 2 of the eligible Super-Srs choose not to return.

I won't mention names (and this is my evaluation only), but I suspect two players will portal out.

Last edited:
Someone please check my math. Looking at our roster and ahead to next season, I'm coming up a scholarship short. My assumptions are:
  • Coach permits the eligible seniors, i.e., Jones, Faye, Gaston and Holle, to return for their 5th year

So, 16 players with the limit at 15. If this count is correct, it suggests we lose 1 or 2 to the portal and/or 1 or 2 of the eligible Super-Srs choose not to return.

I won't mention names (and this is my evaluation only), but I suspect two players will portal out.

Jones played 9 games out of 31 in her 3rd year at OSU. Do you think that the coaches will use the 30% rule to petition that year to be a red-shirt year? (unless OSU already did that).

Jones played 9 games out of 31 in her 3rd year at OSU. Do you think that the coaches will use the 30% rule to petition that year to be a red-shirt year? (unless OSU already did that).
Absolutely. Seems like I remember Vic saying earlier this season at one of his pressers that everyone can come back except Shaylee.

View attachment 9238

I would agree that if they aren't catching on and getting any real minutes after 1 1/2 seasons, then they may not stick around. But I really hope someone like Jordana gives it more time since she was clearly limited by the extent of her injuries, and this is really only her Frosh season. I see her having a much better chance after this offseason. As for the scholarship limits, I've heard that in Volleyball it is possible that we have more than the allowed number due to NIL deals allowing certain athletes to be walk-ons, but still have everything paid for. I'm not sure there is anyway to tell who is on scholarship and who isn't, but this is what I've seen posted on some boards.

In my head, I've had it that this is Taylor Jones' final season. Maybe she does have a medical redshirt option for her third season at Oregon State in 2021-22 due to injury after the first 9 games. When we signed her, the official release indicated she only had 2 seasons of eligibility remaining:

A three-year starter and All-PAC 12 Conference honoree, Jones joins the Longhorns with two years of eligibility remaining.

Women’s Basketball signs Oregon State transfer Taylor Jones - University of Texas Athletics (texassports.com)

In my head, I've had it that this is Taylor Jones' final season. Maybe she does have a medical redshirt option for her third season at Oregon State in 2021-22 due to injury after the first 9 games. When we signed her, the official release indicated she only had 2 seasons of eligibility remaining:

A three-year starter and All-PAC 12 Conference honoree, Jones joins the Longhorns with two years of eligibility remaining.

Women’s Basketball signs Oregon State transfer Taylor Jones - University of Texas Athletics (texassports.com)
Texas would naturally be conservative in that statement. The medical redshirt year has to be petitioned and approved.

I hope jones gets the red shirt year.
At this rate DeYona will be seeking a medical redshirt. She's played in only 9 games, 29% of our 31 regular season games prior to the B12 tourney.

I know nothing about the severity of her ankle, but it didn't look good.

EDIT: After listening to Vic's presser, it doesn't sound like the ankle is as bad as feared.

Last edited:
Big 12 Tournament tickets are now on sale. Deadline is Noon, Friday February 9th through the Texas ticket office.

The tournament will be at the T-Mobile Center in Kansas City March 7-12th (have a feeling I won’t miss the old Municipal Auditorium venue)

Big 12 Tournament tickets are now on sale. Deadline is Noon, Friday February 9th through the Texas ticket office.

The tournament will be at the T-Mobile Center in Kansas City March 7-12th (have a feeling I won’t miss the old Municipal Auditorium venue)
I purchased tickets about a month ago from the T-Mobile Center website. Looking forward to attending the tournament.

I was looking at the box score in their last game, a loss at Houston and scratching my head as to how many played then and what the number must be now to cancel. Makes sense. I've seen other teams play with 6, but they weren't P5 and it is dangerous to the health of the team to go only with 6.

KState moved up to #4
We moved up to #10

Both of those make sense to me, but Baylor only dropped to #13 after losing to Kansas and ISU and only beating Central Florida while WV who lost to ISU and beat three nothing teams came in at #24 and ISU who beat Baylor and lost to Tech is now unranked.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-GEORGIA *
Sat, Oct 19 • 6:30 PM on ABC

Recent Threads

Back