2023-2024 Season

We 24-3
We are #5 in the nation
We are a projected 2 seed
We are one game out of first in the conference and coming off a 6 game winning streak.

I do like me some Vic Schaefer February teams.

There is not just one single factor (ranking system) which determines seeds; that's the case in all sports. Volleyball still got a #7 national seed despite most of its rankings being in the Top 4; biggest knock against them was lack of wins against RPI Top 10 opponents (which the VB committee adamantly talked about in its very reveal last Fall); we had zero of them. Most Texas fans could understand that you're not gonna get a Top 4 national seed with that type of resume'; it doesn't compute. And, it was the right approach by the committee, IMO.

The NET Nitty Gritty Report for NCAA Women's College Basketball | WarrenNolan.com

If you look at the NET & RPI Nitty Gritty numbers, our women's hoops team has these metrics for the committee to review:

#4 NET
#39 NET Strength of Schedule
#189 NET Non-Conference Strength of Schedule

#10 RPI
#25 RPI Strength of Schedule
#14 RPI Non-Conference
#122 RPI Non-Conference Strength of Schedule

When our non-conference schedule was released, several of us discussed that it was very weak. It's great that we beat UConn, but that's all we can hang out hat on; the committee sees them as their #12 national seed.

I think we've maxed out and a Top 4 national seed is out of reach. Even potential future wins against OU, and KSU (if we meet up with them) aren't gonna do much as neither is considered Top 10 in the committee's eyes.

And therein lies the problem.

Oh my gosh. In what universe is OU considered a Top 10 team this season? They are the only NET Top 50 team with a loss against a Q4 team. The committee looks at your entire body of work, not just your last 10 games.

That has to be organic not falesly generated. Something was mentioned about this early last year. And pointed out the we lost the heart and soul of this team when JAT and Warren left. A bit dramatic but you get my point.
There simply isn't anyone on the team with that visible outward display of emotion.

I recall during Vic's 1st season here that Ebo I believe blocked a shot and did a primal yell and threw her fist up. Later in the week during his show they sowed the highlite and he stated though he liked the block he wasn't a fan of her after play antics.
So are the players of the coach?
Curious if any one knows how his M. St. teams were.
Mississippi state was a firey team when needed to be. In the big moments they get hyped and did all that. They are similar to Texas now. We are very energetic on the bench and will get hype on the court but we also play with humility and class. We’re not going to get in your face and stare you down after a blocked shot but they will hype eachother up. I remember vs Iowa state Booker got the block on the fast break and everyone was hype and Moore was pushing Booker so that’s the type of energy they bring. They definitely have a fire in them but on the court it’s all business.

Oh my gosh. In what universe is OU considered a Top 10 team this season? They are the only NET Top 50 team with a loss against a Q4 team. The committee looks at your entire body of work, not just your last 10 games.
They aren’t top 10. That’s not the point. The point is that it shouldn’t be about what the committee likes or dislikes. It should be based on facts. The Net factors in everything you mention. Do 5 wins against top 25 teams count more or less than two wins against top 10 teams followed by a loss to an unranked team? If you are going to base quality of wins on rankings, then you would have to know how much better a team ranked 9 is than a team ranked 11.

The Net includes the Team Value Index (TVI), which is a result-based feature that rewards teams for beating quality opponents, particularly away from home, as well as an adjusted net efficiency rating. The adjusted efficiency is a team’s net efficiency, adjusted for strength of opponent and location (home/away/neutral) across all games played.

When you add it all up, we have performed 4th overall. It’s just math which is a way better way to judge teams than how a committee feels. You can't expect to wield supreme power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!

I'm not the coach. Just a fan. But Vic's telling them the same thing when he constantly says you never know when you'll get an opportunity like this again, so make the most of it (i.e. let's not blow this opportunity).
That has the essence of the same message. It is NOT the same thing.

Mississippi state was a firey team when needed to be. In the big moments they get hyped and did all that. They are similar to Texas now. We are very energetic on the bench and will get hype on the court but we also play with humility and class. We’re not going to get in your face and stare you down after a blocked shot but they will hype eachother up. I remember vs Iowa state Booker got the block on the fast break and everyone was hype and Moore was pushing Booker so that’s the type of energy they bring. They definitely have a fire in them but on the court it’s all business.
While I didn't say a thing about getting in other players' faces and staring (taunting), I was referring to the lack of hype in several of the games prior to Iowa State. The energy and hype in that game is what I was after and I believe the team needs that in every game going forward.

Last edited:
On a nice Overreaction Monday, wanted to share a few random thoughts on Booker. Me believes that…..her game is getting better all the time in the following areas. Her handle against smaller guard pressure, understanding and control of offense per what Schaefer wants, quickly changing approach when coaches like Fennelly changes defenses, her decision making on break or early entry to offensive zone, playing off the ball in short corner versus zone, etc. It’s a tremendous value to be a 6’-1” point guard when it comes to being able to make entry passes over a shorter defender. And can play any place on the court. Schaefer is maximizing her value. Her ability to decide correctly when it’s her shot or getting ball to teammate is so refreshing. Among all the good things mentioned, the one I’m most appreciative of, is her decision making on the break/early entry to offensive zone. How many times historically have I seen less-aware Horns guards throw the ball away unnecessarily when there is no player advantage with a teammate. Harmon is the ultimate at that great decision making. To have a freshman forward able to discern in those situations, just says she’s got superhuman basketball IQ. This one example is my itch, others have different ones, but I’m glowing today sitting with my feet in the fireplace trying to burn up the last vestiges of this season’s firewood. Thanks Madison Booker. She can be so much better and that’s scary for opponents. The skies the limit for her future.

On a nice Overreaction Monday, wanted to share a few random thoughts on Booker. Me believes that…..her game is getting better all the time in the following areas. Her handle against smaller guard pressure, understanding and control of offense per what Schaefer wants, quickly changing approach when coaches like Fennelly changes defenses, her decision making on break or early entry to offensive zone, playing off the ball in short corner versus zone, etc. It’s a tremendous value to be a 6’-1” point guard when it comes to being able to make entry passes over a shorter defender. And can play any place on the court. Schaefer is maximizing her value. Her ability to decide correctly when it’s her shot or getting ball to teammate is so refreshing. Among all the good things mentioned, the one I’m most appreciative of, is her decision making on the break/early entry to offensive zone. How many times historically have I seen less-aware Horns guards throw the ball away unnecessarily when there is no player advantage with a teammate. Harmon is the ultimate at that great decision making. To have a freshman forward able to discern in those situations, just says she’s got superhuman basketball IQ. This one example is my itch, others have different ones, but I’m glowing today sitting with my feet in the fireplace trying to burn up the last vestiges of this season’s firewood. Thanks Madison Booker. She can be so much better and that’s scary for opponents. The skies the limit for her future.
Everyone has their ideas on who should be national or B12 FOY and those are all subjective. I'll say this, there's not a better talent in WCBB than Booker. Am I saying she should be National POY ? No... That clearly belongs to Caitlin Clark IMO. Am I Booker is THE BEST? No... I''m just saying there's not a more talented player that Madi B. and I wouldn't trade her for ANY other.

At this point after the 27th game of the year:
2023-2024: 24-3
2022-2023: 20-7
2021-2022: 21-6
2020-2021: 21-6

Remaining games before the Big 12 tournament starts:
Texas Tech: 16-11, L5 (losing streak)
@UCF: 12-12, L2
@OU: 18-7, L1
BYU: 15-12, L1

With 4 games remaining in the Big 12 regular season, we are one win away from securing a spot in the Top 4 and a double-bye in the Big 12 conference tournament.

The "big" game this Wednesday is 11-3 West Virginia @ 11-3 Kansas State. Both teams are currently tied with Texas for second place. I think I'll be rooting for WVU as we beat WVU and split with KSU; while it might be too early to be thinking about tie-breakers, I believe our 2-1 record against WVU and KSU would be better than KSU's 1-2 record against Texas and WVU, and WVU's 1-1 record should WVU win in Manhattan. And, we'd have the tiebreaker over WVU due to our win in Morgantown.

With 4 games remaining in the Big 12 regular season, we are one win away from securing a spot in the Top 4 and a double-bye in the Big 12 conference tournament.

The "big" game this Wednesday is 11-3 West Virginia @ 11-3 Kansas State. Both teams are currently tied with Texas for second place. I think I'll be rooting for WVU as we beat WVU and split with KSU; while it might be too early to be thinking about tie-breakers, I believe our 2-1 record against WVU and KSU would be better than KSU's 1-2 record against Texas and WVU, and WVU's 1-1 record should WVU win in Manhattan. And, we'd have the tiebreaker over WVU due to our win in Morgantown.
I think the most likely scenario is a 3-way tie for 1st place (assuming we beat OU) ... Texas, OU, and the winner of the WVa/KSU game.

I'd also prefer WVa win that game.

Last edited:
Other than OU, I'm still a bit anxious about the game @ UCF. I've watched them play a few times, and they are a dangerous team. They came very close to winning road games at both Baylor and KSU. UCF also has a win against the same Auburn team that defeated LSU. Sytia Messer (w/ Mike Carey) is doing a really good job with that team. Where they may lack some skills and experience, they make up for it with athleticism, effort, and great coaching. They're definitely not a gimme game.

Last edited:
I think the most likely scenario is a 3-way tie for 1st place (assuming we beat OU) ... Texas, OU, and the winner of the WVa/KSU game.

I'd also prefer WVa win that game.
We'll definitely know more after Wednesday's games are completed. At the moment, I'd say it helps us the most (potentially) for WVU to win at Kansas State.

I had to post this here as a proud Grandfather. I opened the texassports.com app as I do every morning and I almost fainted with surprise! These are my Granddaughters at the UTRGV game. They got pictures with every player!!! No idea how they got this picture unless their photographer took one as I was! So proud!!
IMG_3021.jpeg

Last edited:
I haven't been nearly as bullish on Watkins for FOTY as others. Yes - she scores a lot but she averages 25.2 shots per game. Of the "Big 3", from a scoring efficiency perspective, it's Madison, Hannah Hidalgo and then Watkins. This is not scientific because Madison's shooting % probably drops if she put it up as often as the other 2 but at her current shooting % in conference play, Madison would be averaging 31.6 ppg if she took as many.

*** These are conference stats only ***

upload_2024-2-20_14-13-45.png

Note that Kansas has won five straight. Why is that so important? Kansas plays KState soon. Then last game of conference OU has to go to KS. I’m predicting KS takes down OU in that last game and Horns win conference having won out in last 10 games of conference.

Lots of games in the next 2 weeks that will have an impact on conference seedings.

Kansas State:
vs West Virginia
@ Kansas
vs Iowa State
@ Texas Tech

West Virginia:
@ Kansas State
vs Baylor
@ Oklahoma State
vs TCU

Texas:
vs Texas Tech