2023-2024 Season

Rebecca Lobo seems to have counted Booker out of the race for FOY honors! But what does she know?

National FOY was decided before the season ever even started. That's okay... we know what we've got and what her status will be when all is said and done in four years.

^^^^^^^This! All the media hype towards some players drives me crazy. I've been watching WCBB for a while and I've never seen so much coverage on one person, Caitlin Clark. Yes she broke the records and I'm excited to see which records she breaks next but give me a break. It is now annoying. Cover some of the other young ladies. It makes me sad all of the other great seniors who are getting ZERO coverage their senior year because all they cover is CC. Please let her graduate and move on to the WNBA. She's this years precious darling. I wonder who it will be next year.

Horns up to #1 seed in Crème’s latest ESPNW bracket. Iowa’s loss last night was the factor. Keep winning now and just maybe. Schaefer will have to reassess his baseline for the team now. It’s gone up regardless how he assessed the team’s play Wednesday.

^^^^^^^This! All the media hype towards some players drives me crazy. I've been watching WCBB for a while and I've never seen so much coverage on one person, Caitlin Clark. Yes she broke the records and I'm excited to see which records she breaks next but give me a break. It is now annoying. Cover some of the other young ladies. It makes me sad all of the other great seniors who are getting ZERO coverage their senior year because all they cover is CC. Please let her graduate and move on to the WNBA. She's this years precious darling. I wonder who it will be next year.
JuJu is already being primed for it.
:rolleyes1:

JuJu is already being primed for it.
:rolleyes1:
Maybe not - it was all Bueckers all the time 2 seasons ago then she got injured and they moved on to Clark. Bueckers has already announced she’s coming back and fits the “mold” the national sports media really loves to push.

Well, if Chavez becomes a Longhorn, she might be the next Bueckers-Clark-JuJu. Heck, Rori might get some hype next year. Seems to me that national attention goes to someone who scores a lot, which is why JuJu will likely be newcomer PoY this year. The Heisman works the same way, IMHO. The winner usually has great offensive stats and one or two spectacular plays in November just before the vote.

As I was watching the game, I thought, "Man, when was the last time we were this good?"

Rolling back through the schedule, it seems it was 2015-2016, where we became 26-3 after a 26 point loss to Baylor.

Looking through that roster, I could see a large core of contributors which matches what today's UCF commentators were talking about our current deep bench.

A visit to yesteryear:
Ariel Atkins
Imani Boyette
Khaleann Caron-Goudreau
Empress Davenport
Tasia Foman
Lashaan Higgs
Jordan Hosey
Kelsey Lang
Brooke McCarty
Celina Rodrigo
Brady Sanders
Brianna Taylor

typing those names, I could remember that when 1 or 2 starters were having a bad day, we could plug in someone to make up for it.

Note: and yes there were more players on the team, but not significant minutes

Last edited:
As I was watching the game, I thought, "Man, when was the last time we were this good?"

Rolling back through the schedule, it seems it was 2015-2016, where we became 26-3 after a 26 point loss to Baylor.

Looking through that roster, I could see a large core of contributors which matches what today's UCF commentators were talking about our current deep bench.

A visit to yesteryear:
Ariel Atkins
Imani Boyette
Khaleann Caron-Goudreau
Empress Davenport (now a doctor in residency in Austin!)
Tasia Foman
Lashaan Higgs
Jordan Hosey
Kelsey Lang
Brooke McCarty
Celina Rodrigo
Brady Sanders
Brianna Taylor

typing those names, I could remember that when 1 or 2 starters were having a bad day, we could plug in someone to make up for it.
I knew that Krystal Henderson was a physician in residency, but did not know that Empress Davenport was also.

A visit to yesteryear:
Ariel Atkins
Imani Boyette
Khaleann Caron-Goudreau
Empress Davenport
Tasia Foman
Lashaan Higgs
Jordan Hosey
Kelsey Lang
Brooke McCarty
Celina Rodrigo
Brady Sanders
Brianna Taylor

I knew that Krystal Henderson was a physician in residency, but did not know that Empress Davenport was also.

?? According to the UTSA website, Empress Davenport is an assistant coach/recruiting coordinator for UTSA WBB.

A visit to yesteryear:
Ariel Atkins
Imani Boyette
Khaleann Caron-Goudreau
Empress Davenport
Tasia Foman
Lashaan Higgs
Jordan Hosey
Kelsey Lang
Brooke McCarty
Celina Rodrigo
Brady Sanders
Brianna Taylor

Wonder what Vic could have accomplished with that group?

Based on this weekend's games, Texas is assured of a Top 3 seed in the Big 12 conference tournament as we have the head-to-head tie-breaker versus West Virginia. Great weekend overall with our win plus WVU and KSU losing.

Based on this weekend's games, Texas is assured of a Top 3 seed in the Big 12 conference tournament as we have the head-to-head tie-breaker versus West Virginia. Great weekend overall with our win plus WVU and KSU losing.
The B12 is a tough league and a long grind. The conference tourney is going to be a hoot.

I don't know the SEC teams well enough to compare, and I haven't studied their likely rosters for next year, but once you get past USC and LSU, the SEC as a whole does not appear as competitive top-to-bottom.

A 24/25 team-by-team outlook would make a great thread for some enterprising posters.

Last edited:
The B12 is a tough league and a long grind. The conference tourney is going to be a hoot.

I don't know the SEC teams well enough to compare, and I haven't studied their likely rosters for next year, but once you get past USC and LSU, the SEC as a whole does not appear as competitive top-to-bottom.

A 24/25 team-by-team outlook would make a great thread for some enterprising posters.
The SEC is a tough grind also... It's a different league for sure. It's physical with more athleticism and more rebounding & running. Remember LSU has been knocked off by Auburn and Mississippi State this season. Ole Miss and Alabama are no pushovers, and then there's always Tennessee. Vandy and Agville are programs on the rise. The bottom of the conference you don't want to sleep on either.

I will say that I feel that the Big 12 might be the most well-coached league top to bottom. That certainly adds another degree of difficulty.

The SEC is a tough grind also... It's a different league for sure. It's physical with more athleticism and more rebounding & running. Remember LSU has been knocked off by Auburn and Mississippi State this season. Ole Miss and Alabama are no pushovers, and then there's always Tennessee. Vandy and Agville are programs on the rise. The bottom of the conference you don't want to sleep on either.

I will say that I feel that the Big 12 might be the most well-coached league top to bottom. That certainly adds another degree of difficulty.
I’m not so sure aggy is on the rise. Taylor pulled in some good transfers to go with Barker but they have been very inconsistent. Watched them lose to Auburn and couldn’t score. It was also obvious at certain points in the 2nd half that Barker was very frustrated, she may be a big name for Portal Watch 2024.

I’m not so sure aggy is on the rise. Taylor pulled in some good transfers to go with Barker but they have been very inconsistent. Watched them lose to Auburn and couldn’t score. It was also obvious at certain points in the 2nd half that Barker was very frustrated, she may be a big name for Portal Watch 2024.
I agree that Joni hasn't seemed to find ways to fully utilize Barker. She's an exceptional talent, I wanted her at Texas out of high school.

Personally happy to see The Other USC, as they often call it, building a dynasty. Lived in Upstate SC in the '90s when Clemson was good, beat UNC and GG's Duke teams. But USC lost every SEC game for a couple of years. Then they hired Dawn Staley.
:trophy:

Vic mentioned Hadi and Shaylee by name - some indication as to which eligible seniors will be returning (Shay, Taylor and DeYona)?

Vic mentioned Hadi and Shaylee by name - some indication as to which eligible seniors will be returning (Shay, Taylor and DeYona)?

It certainly sounds like Hadi has finally given notice she will not return, both this year and next. We should have a deep and seasoned team again next year with those 3 SuperSeniors.

That puts the scholarship count at 15 next year, the full complement. Now, only a portal out will enable a portal in.

That puts the scholarship count at 15 next year, the full complement. Now, only a portal out will enable a portal in.
Unless my count is off, we're over by 1 if all 3 return. They could move Sarah Graves back to walk-on status and then a portal out would be necessary for a portal in. If Graves keeps her scholarship, Vic will need 1 portal out just to keep Shay, Taylor and Deyona.

*** = Eligible for COVID Year

upload_2024-2-27_10-49-57.png

Unless my count is off, we're over by 1 if all 3 return. They could move Sarah Graves back to walk-on status and then a portal out would be necessary for a portal in. If Graves keeps her scholarship, Vic will need 1 portal out just to keep Shay, Taylor and Deyona.

*** = Eligible for COVID Year

View attachment 9392

I would not be surprised if Graves is on a one year scholarship, renewable depending on the team's needs and subsequent recruiting. I also wouldn't be surprised if there is... at the very least... one other scholarship player who may have been taken as a "project" and on scholarship under the same conditions. That said, I'm sure every player on the team has full understanding of whatever their scholarship status may be.

I would not be surprised if Graves is on a one year scholarship, renewable depending on the team's needs and subsequent recruiting. I also wouldn't be surprised if there is... at the very least... one other scholarship player who may have been taken as a "project" and on scholarship under the same conditions. That said, I'm sure every player on the team has full understanding of whatever their scholarship status may be.
Yes, I was also assuming Sarah will not be in the scholarship count next year.

I'm much less certain about the "project scholarship" so I counted her as part of the 15.

Last edited:
I received my B12 Tournament tickets today and pleased as punch to get third row behind the scorer’s table for my final tourney in the conference. I’m also glad the tournament was moved to the T-Mobile Center from the relic known as Municipal Auditorium.

Things I did not know. Just reading about Aaliyah Edwards getting an NIL deal in Canada but won’t discuss the details for fear of losing her student visa. Foreign students are not allowed to get money for NIL deals with small exceptions like a jersey with their name on it being sold. So Nika Muhl (Croatia) does not receive money either.

So Haddie Faye apparently gets nothing? Dang…

Things I did not know. Just reading about Aaliyah Edwards getting an NIL deal in Canada but won’t discuss the details for fear of losing her student visa. Foreign students are not allowed to get money for NIL deals with small exceptions like a jersey with their name on it being sold. So Nika Muhl (Croatia) does not receive money either.

So Haddie Faye apparently gets nothing? Dang…
I'm not really savvy enough to understand the possible reasons why foreign players can't have the full benefits of NIL. Whatever the reason, I don't like it... I want to see everyone dealt with equitably.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back