2023-2024 Season

ESPN released their Top 25 players in women's college basketball. Madison opened up at #14. She is 1 of 4 freshmen on the list, behind Watkins (#2) and Hidalgo (#5) and ahead of Mikaylah Williams (#25).

14. Madison Booker, Texas Longhorns
Forward/guard | 6-foot-1 | freshman
Stats: 16.4 PPG, 5.0 RPG, 4.9 APG
Previous ranking: NR

Texas lost point guard Rori Harmon -- who was No. 14 and then No. 6 in our previous rankings -- in late December to a season-ending knee injury. That put even more on Booker's shoulders, and she has responded. She's averaging 20.2 points and 5.5 assists in Big 12 play. She is yet another of the freshmen nationwide making a big impact. -- Voepel

ESPN released their Top 25 players in women's college basketball. Madison opened up at #14. She is 1 of 4 freshmen on the list, behind Watkins (#2) and Hidalgo (#5) and ahead of Mikaylah Williams (#25).

14. Madison Booker, Texas Longhorns
Forward/guard | 6-foot-1 | freshman
Stats: 16.4 PPG, 5.0 RPG, 4.9 APG
Previous ranking: NR

Texas lost point guard Rori Harmon -- who was No. 14 and then No. 6 in our previous rankings -- in late December to a season-ending knee injury. That put even more on Booker's shoulders, and she has responded. She's averaging 20.2 points and 5.5 assists in Big 12 play. She is yet another of the freshmen nationwide making a big impact. -- Voepel
It's nice for Maddie to be recognized like this. But I'm sorry, Voepel, the math ain't mathing... she's far better than number 14.

It's nice for Maddie to be recognized like this. But I'm sorry, Voepel, the math ain't mathing... she's far better than number 14.
Voepel just wrote Maddie’s blurb - the rankings came from a panel:

Rankings were submitted by ESPN's Debbie Antonelli, Nikki Fargas, Kelly Gramlich, Dan Hughes, Andrea Lloyd, Rebecca Lobo, Muffet McGraw, Roy Philpott, Steffi Sorensen, Mike Thibault, Christy Thomaskutty, Brenda VanLengen, Brooke Weisbrod, Stephanie White and Helen Williams; ESPN.com's Charlie Creme, Alexa Philippou and Michael Voepel and Andscape's Sean Hurd.

Voepel just wrote Maddie’s blurb - the rankings came from a panel:

Rankings were submitted by ESPN's Debbie Antonelli, Nikki Fargas, Kelly Gramlich, Dan Hughes, Andrea Lloyd, Rebecca Lobo, Muffet McGraw, Roy Philpott, Steffi Sorensen, Mike Thibault, Christy Thomaskutty, Brenda VanLengen, Brooke Weisbrod, Stephanie White and Helen Williams; ESPN.com's Charlie Creme, Alexa Philippou and Michael Voepel and Andscape's Sean Hurd.
Thanks for the clarity!

Here we are the last day of February and the latest NCAA Committee reveal has Texas at a #2 seed and 6th overall which means they will still be in the conversation for a #1 seed if they take care of business in the next week and a half. I will admit when Rori went down I had reset my expectations to a 4 seed. I obviously underestimated some of our players but Booker and Holle stand out as surpassing my expectations. Madison took on the point guard responsibilities and continued to flourish. Holle has played the most minutes on the team and there’s a reason why. She has worked so hard on her game it’s very impressive and should be an inspiration to younger players.

The level of cope from Iowa St. fans today over Booker getting FOTY is quite humorous. Nevermind the fact that Book got Player of the Year for the whole damn conference.

Cope #1 - "blatant Texas bias". Ah yes. 12 coaches in the league that hates Texas now have bias in favor of Texas.

Cope #2 - Texas paid the Big12 to make Booker FOTY. Ah yes, that makes perfect sense. We found a way to avoid paying a penny for leaving the conference, but we "paid the Big12" to make a Texas WBB player the FOTY.

Cope #3 - Texas and oU players deserve nothing 'cause they're leaving. Well, tell that to the other 12 league coaches.

Cope #4 (perhaps the most brilliant) - Who the h#ll are these idiots voting for TX and oU players?
:e-face-tears::e-face-tears::e-face-tears::e-face-tears:

The level of cope from Iowa St. fans today over Booker getting FOTY is quite humorous. Nevermind the fact that Book got Player of the Year for the whole damn conference.

Cope #1 - "blatant Texas bias". Ah yes. 12 coaches in the league that hates Texas now have bias in favor of Texas.

Cope #2 - Texas paid the Big12 to make Booker FOTY. Ah yes, that makes perfect sense. We found a way to avoid paying a penny for leaving the conference, but we "paid the Big12" to make a Texas WBB player the FOTY.

Cope #3 - Texas and oU players deserve nothing 'cause they're leaving. Well, tell that to the other 12 league coaches.

Cope #4 (perhaps the most brilliant) - Who the h#ll are these idiots voting for TX and oU players?
:e-face-tears::e-face-tears::e-face-tears::e-face-tears:

isu fans are “some” of the worst in the Big 12. Cry me a river.

Yeah, Iowa State fans, I'm sure the Big 12 coaches couldn't wait to put Texas & OU players on their ballots. The Big 12 conference and coaches just love to honor Texas, right? Madison just made it impossible to overlook her.

I've bought my post season tickets for the NCAA tournament. I guess Texas feels pretty confident about hosting the first two rounds in Austin.

Madison getting congrats from WNBA Champion and the best Texas WBB pro, Ariel Atkins; Sug Sutton; the only other Texas player to win Big12 POTY, Brooke McCarty; and Kelsey Plum(?).

Schaefer and Booker were on ESPNU earlier tonight. Talked about her recent awards, her role change when Harmon went down, Schaefer talking about how he loves team, etc. Booker is getting more comfortable in interviews every time. Good exposure for both and Texas program.

Does anyone know if Rori will receive a Red Shirt for this year?
Either way how many years/year does she have left on the Forty?

Texas applied for the medical redshirt since Rori was just 1 game over the limit. We'll know by this summer. Without the redshirt, next year is her last.

Does anyone know if Rori will receive a Red Shirt for this year?
Either way how many years/year does she have left on the Forty?
Redshirt rule in layman's terms:

According to the NCAA redshirt eligibility rules in basketball, a player can redshirt if they do not compete in more than four games or 30% of the season's total games, whichever is greater. For example, if a team plays a 30-game season, a player can participate in up to nine games without losing their redshirt status. However, if the season consists of only 20 games, the limit would be six games.

Rori played in 12 games this year.

Big 12 tournament championship game:
12(games) / 34(games) = 36%

First 2 rounds of NCAA (field of 64, then 32):
12 (games) / 36 (games) = 33%

Elite 8 round of NCAA (field of 16, then 8):
12 (games) / 38 (games) = 31.5%

Final 4 round of NCAA (field of 4, then 2):
12 (games) / 39 (games) = 30.7%
12 (games) / 40 (games) = 30.0%

Got to take care of business tonight but ESPN simulated the tournament 1,000 times using BPI and their most recent Bracketology. The Longhorns and UConn were distant 2nds to win the title behind South Carolina (won 391 of the 1K sims).

Texas Longhorns

Number of simulations won: 122 (12.2%)

BPI chance to win head-to-head vs. South Carolina: 32.5%

Texas-UConn is the most common NCAA title game matchup that doesn't include South Carolina -- followed closely by Texas vs. Stanford. Texas' best shot to win the NCAA championship comes if South Carolina doesn't reach the Final Four, but the Longhorns still have about a 1-in-3 chance to win in a head-to-head.

Texas has had an impressive season and could add a Big 12 title on Tuesday, a game BPI gives the Longhorns an 86% chance to win. Their most impressive win came early in the season against UConn, and BPI's favorable view of the Huskies boosts Texas' rating as well. Freshman Madison Booker has proved to be a true star -- she split the Big 12 Player of the Year award with Oklahoma's Skylar Vann -- and her play puts Texas in contention to take down anybody in the NCAA tournament.

r1303384_1295x2078cc.jpg

Got to take care of business tonight but ESPN simulated the tournament 1,000 times using BPI and their most recent Bracketology. The Longhorns and UConn were distant 2nds to win the title behind South Carolina (won 391 of the 1K sims).

Texas Longhorns

Number of simulations won: 122 (12.2%)

BPI chance to win head-to-head vs. South Carolina: 32.5%

Texas-UConn is the most common NCAA title game matchup that doesn't include South Carolina -- followed closely by Texas vs. Stanford. Texas' best shot to win the NCAA championship comes if South Carolina doesn't reach the Final Four, but the Longhorns still have about a 1-in-3 chance to win in a head-to-head.

Texas has had an impressive season and could add a Big 12 title on Tuesday, a game BPI gives the Longhorns an 86% chance to win. Their most impressive win came early in the season against UConn, and BPI's favorable view of the Huskies boosts Texas' rating as well. Freshman Madison Booker has proved to be a true star -- she split the Big 12 Player of the Year award with Oklahoma's Skylar Vann -- and her play puts Texas in contention to take down anybody in the NCAA tournament.

r1303384_1295x2078cc.jpg
Interesting article. Thanks for sharing. One observation I have is that if mUlkeY doesn't make the final four with that all-star lineup of portal players she has then she must suck as a coach.
:e-face-tears::e-face-tears::e-face-tears:

Interesting article. Thanks for sharing. One observation I have is that if mUlkeY doesn't make the final four with that all-star lineup of portal players she has then she must suck as a coach.
:e-face-tears::e-face-tears::e-face-tears:

She's won 4 national championships. Doubt anyone is going to say she sucks as a coach.

Recent Threads

Back