2023-2024 Season

Schaefer saying about Booker…..”she’s a monster”. He was effusive in his praise for her. Nothing really surprising but still good to hear his opinion. He has so many good options at the 3-4 position now with Gaston and Moore and others. I think he believes the team is really good. Cant wait for more.

I think her drop off last year was exhaustion more than anything. If Booker or someone else can take some pressure off at PG good shooting should return.
I was all set to refute your "exhaustion" hypothesis. My recollection was that Rori's shooting was sub-par early in the season after she returned from injury.

However, after double-checking the box scores, and her all too frequent high-30 and 40 minute games, you may be correct. Rori's shooting in the team's last 7-8 games was especially disappointing, both from the field and from the line.

I think folks will be pleased with how she has turned this around. At this juncture, she may be the team's best shooter.

Near the very end of the interview they are asked to comment on any of the new teams coming into the conference or the two outgoing ones and they didn’t really have anything specific other than JJ said “as long as we get to play Texas again”…

Of course we already know every single Big12 team will be gunning for that last chance to beat the Longhorns for their highlight of the season.

Yeah. I think there was some initiation from her/her father's side also.
I was checking on this almost daily when it was going down. What was so interesting is all the mutual interest that seemed to be paying out on IG, and then all of the sudden, a mutual follow with "countryroads trust" occurs. That is WVa's NIL collective. After that happened, the whole thing cooled off. So my guess is there was genuine interest and then the collective made it worth her while to stay. But if the team doesn't improve this year, she'll be facing her last season in a dead conference with a team that's on its third coach and no change of post-season success. So maybe she'll reconsider. But I imagine there will be a lot of suitors for her in the Spring.

Near the very end of the interview they are asked to comment on any of the new teams coming into the conference or the two outgoing ones and they didn’t really have anything specific other than JJ said “as long as we get to play Texas again”…

Of course we already know every single Big12 team will be gunning for that last chance to beat the Longhorns for their highlight of the season.
Lol. We need to make sure and hand them all ***-whippings. We'll have to see how it plays out, but it would seem only bAilor has the roster to challenge. This conference has become considerably weaker in the last 2 seasons.

I was checking on this almost daily when it was going down. What was so interesting is all the mutual interest that seemed to be paying out on IG, and then all of the sudden, a mutual follow with "countryroads trust" occurs. That is WVa's NIL collective. After that happened, the whole thing cooled off. So my guess is there was genuine interest and then the collective made it worth her while to stay. But if the team doesn't improve this year, she'll be facing her last season in a dead conference with a team that's on its third coach and no change of post-season success. So maybe she'll reconsider. But I imagine there will be a lot of suitors for her in the Spring.
Seems to me, observing from afar, that there was definitely mutual interest but something went awry somewhere.

So with us being about 2-3weeks out from the season how do any of you see the rotation going m. In the past Vic don’t like to play more than 9 and that’s in blowouts if it’s close best 5 for that game will go 35+ min. I think the 5’s Faye and Tay will decrease in mins if AMo is healthy. I think we start
PG: Rori(33-38 min) Maul(3-7mins)
SG: Shaylee(30-35) Shay(15-20)
SF:Booker(25-30) Jak(10-14)
PF: Gatson (25-27) AMo(10-20) Mina(10-20)
C:Tay(10-20) Faye( 6-15)
Codio, Graves, Abbie only blowouts
None of min projections are being mean.

I think if AMo is back and finally herself then Gatson moves to the 5 and Amina will play either because of her mobility and rebounding. Gatson at tbe 5 alllows to look different than we have since Vic been here cause she is a nightmare for a 5 and still has the size and ability to play it. I also know Shay and Jak are going to play Shay has proven that no matter if she start or play 1 min she gonna change the game. Booker is wildcard does he make her uncomfortable and play the 3 which is hard to do not saying she can’t but she is still a freshman. It would be easier for her to play the 4 and do small stuff and still get B12 FOY.

Anybody wanna talk big 12 yet? Cause it’s gonna be good I think. Def better than what some are saying. Texas and Baylor are the top by the eye test but k-state, okie state, Kansas, and TCU are better. TCU weakness is lack of size if Sedona gets hurt they don’t have any true big. K-state well they get Lee back along with having Gregory. Kansas although no big additions they have the all important chemistry of being together and that counts. Okie state scares me the most Garzon is lethal from 3 and they got some pieces from the portal 2 being Noble and Prater both are very good and consistent. Baylor is Deep like, Adele Rolling in the deep,Deep.

From the Big 12 Tip-Off meetings today, a major rule change pertaining to the restricted area under the basket. Rather than just the semicircle marking, The restricted area will now be from the front of the rim to the baseline, and to both sides of the lane. In order to draw an offensive foul on a drive to the basket, the defensive player must establish guarding position outside that area. There will be no change to the court markings, assumably because the men's game is not changing. This will be a little confusing. There will also be technical fouls charged for flopping. They will count against the team fouls but not against a player's total number of individual fouls.
Some other points of emphasis for officiating will be 3 seconds in the lane, sportsmanship (specifically taunting), and keeping coaches inside the coaching box and monitoring their sideline behaviors also.

If they can stay healthy, they should be able to outperform these preseason rankings…

In ESPN's article about the initial AP poll, not much mention of Texas except in the Star Power section:

STAR POWER

There are a lot of talented players in the rankings alongside Clark, the AP player of the year, Reese and Paige Bueckers of UConn. Texas guard Rori Harmon is lightning quick and Tennessee's Rickea Jackson is a great scorer. Notre Dame guard Olivia Miles is returning from an ACL injury she suffered in March.

On a lazy Thursday morning…..while lovingly ignoring wife’s demands to go outside and wash her Tahoe……I’m thinking Horns WBB. So unexpectedly I scanned the roster. Hiding in plain site is Codio. I realized that I know less about her than any other player. For sure remember she’s from Florida and a couple of years removed from her high school knee injury. Plus seem to kinda remember a short video of her playing before her injury. But nothing since. Guess should have low expectations of her this year. Don’t knew if healthy or still struggling with knee. Don’t know what she brings to team. Sort of remember thst her game might be a slasher type player. Can’t remember Schaefer saying much about her. So anybody got any information on her? Will she ever be a contributor? Wife dragging me to garage to wash vehicle. Would be nice to come back to some WBB talk.

On a lazy Thursday morning…..while lovingly ignoring wife’s demands to go outside and wash her Tahoe……I’m thinking Horns WBB. So unexpectedly I scanned the roster. Hiding in plain site is Codio. I realized that I know less about her than any other player. For sure remember she’s from Florida and a couple of years removed from her high school knee injury. Plus seem to kinda remember a short video of her playing before her injury. But nothing since. Guess should have low expectations of her this year. Don’t knew if healthy or still struggling with knee. Don’t know what she brings to team. Sort of remember thst her game might be a slasher type player. Can’t remember Schaefer saying much about her. So anybody got any information on her? Will she ever be a contributor? Wife dragging me to garage to wash vehicle. Would be nice to come back to some WBB talk.
I'm afraid Jordana will be an enigma for all of us until 2024. You may recall she has had three! ACL reconstructions in her HS career, so she currently is being eased back during non-contact drills. Not much I could ascertain about her game in practice, other than she is an athletic young lady, and in good shape weightwise.

If she earns minutes in January, that would be the most I could expect. I doubt HS film would shed any meaningful light, considering the competition, the rehab, and the big step up.

Last edited:
Thanks for info Zig. Hope she can use this year as a recovery year and be a contributor in future. I’ll be intently watching for her appearance in a blow-out game to get a flavor of her skills.

At the team dinner last night Vic provided some color to the medical issues of two of our young ladies. More about that below.

To the surprise of nobody, the program will announce three signees next month, "one post and two guards." That translates to Justice Carlton, Jordan Lee and Bryanna Preston, although I was mildly surprised that Justice is considered a post and Jordan a guard. It sounds like Justice is the heir apparent to how Deyonna will be used this season and Jordan like Jak.

Vic has never had a 6-year player before in his career and he wants Shaylee to be more vocal sharing her experience with the younger players. He was surprised at media day that BYU harbors no resentment to Shaylee's transfer; they love what she accomplished for their program and hold her in high regard. How fitting to host BYU on senior night, March 2.

Last year, Vic often talked about the challenge of having so many new players in the system and how some players still didn't know the plays at mid-season. That talk is over. Several times he mentioned that this is a veteran team. They are much further ahead at this stage; it shows on the track and on the court with the pace of practices. Team chemistry is very high. The dedication is there and it shows in improved shooting. Vic joked that good shooting certainly makes his job easier.

Boutilier is not as hard as I thought. Pronounced BOOT (like the shoe) - lear (like the jet).

Jordana: after her 2nd HS ACL surgery in Miami, Jordana showed up at Texas. Purely from a visual inspection, the knee didn't look right. The Texas doctors said something was amiss and her surgeon should be consulted. The surgeon said fly her back to Miami. The only way he could diagnose the problem was with exploratory surgery. When he got inside, he saw that the ligament was ineffective and removed it. Of course, that necessitated a 3rd surgery at Texas to replace it again. That experience was unfortunate, but Jordana is now progressing nicely.

Tiona: it wasn't until she got to Kentucky that the doctors finally told the family that her heart issue, whatever it was, was too serious for athletics. In Houston, even with the most experienced heart surgeons, surgery risk was high since that procedure had never been attempted before. I probably have this backwards, but a right artery had to be moved to the left side. Now with two functioning arteries, Tiona's oxygen flow is normalized. Vic said her progress in the last week is encouraging and expects it to continue.

Last edited:
At the team dinner last night Vic provided some color to the medical issues of two of our young ladies. More about that below.

To the surprise of nobody, the program will announce three signees next month, "one post and two guards." That translates to Justice Carlton, Jordan Lee and Bryanna Preston, although I was mildly surprised that Justice is considered a post and Jordan a guard. It sounds like Justice is the heir apparent to how Deyonna will be used this season and Jordan like Jak.

Vic has never had a 6-year player before in his career and he wants Shaylee to be more vocal sharing her experience with the younger players. He was surprised at media day that BYU harbors no resentment to Shaylee's transfer; they love what she accomplished for their program and hold her in high regard. How fitting to host BYU on senior night, March 2.

Last year, Vic often talked about the challenge of having so many new players in the system and how some players still didn't know the plays at mid-season. That talk is over. Several times he mentioned that this is a veteran team. They are much further ahead at this stage; it shows on the track and on the court with the pace of practices. Team chemistry is very high. The dedication is there and it shows in improved shooting. Vic joked that good shooting certainly makes his job easier.

Boutilier is not as hard as I thought. Pronounced BOOT (like the shoe) - lear (like the jet).

Jordana: after her 2nd HS ACL surgery in Miami, Jordana showed up at Texas. Purely from a visual inspection, the knee didn't look right. The Texas doctors said something was amiss and her surgeon should be consulted. The surgeon said fly her back to Miami. The only way he could diagnose the problem was with exploratory surgery. When he got inside, he saw that the ligament was ineffective and removed it. Of course, that necessitated a 3rd surgery at Texas to replace it again. That experience was unfortunate, but Jordana is now progressing nicely.

Tiona: it wasn't until she got to Kentucky that the doctors finally told the family that her heart issue, whatever it was, was too serious for athletics. In Houston, even with the most experienced heart surgeons, surgery risk was high since that procedure had never been attempted before. I probably have this backwards, but a right artery had to be moved to the left side. Now with two functioning arteries, Tiona's oxygen flow is normalized. Vic said her progress in the last week is encouraging and expects it to continue.
Thanks for the updates. Tinoa shouldn't be needed unless there's a rash of injuries. That sucks for Jordana. Sometimes I think some doctors are like meat market butchers.

Thanks for the updates @Zig72 !
"Team chemistry is very high." :thumbup:

Ok. Command performance from ya’ll. SOMEONE needs to go to Orange-White game on Tuesday and report back. Who’s it gonna be. I desperately need a late October basketball fix.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back