This Is Sooner Football

How much did you "contibute"?
wtf.gif

This brings back memories, I still have the SI with Barry Switzer on it. The year that Schnellenberger was there he commented on the "vigilante atmosphere" at OU. It does make you appreciate the job Bob Stoops has done though. I think he has kept the OU program as clean as it can be kept. That is not to say that it is a clean program, but if he went by the book not even Bob Stoops could survive at OU.

My memory is not as good as many of yours but I still have Coach Switzer's number on my recent calls list So I don't have to think back very far to know whether I like the man or not.
tongue.gif

While this behavior is reprehensible, it is was fairly typical during this time in college football. Things were ALWAYS loose and fancy free back then--incredibly, colleges were sneaking ringers into the game DURING THE NINETEENTH CENTURY, and there investigations back then, as well. While things are still dirty, they are way cleaner than the old days.

bow.gif

Very appropriate. One should be proud of this Heritage... if stealing, cheating, bribing and lying are your values. Sooner traditions, alive and well in the 21st Century.

ousucksnana.gif

Exactly, dgnr8! Us Sooners should be able to cheat all we want and everyone else should just shut their durn mouths and accept it!

We are the great and powerful wizards of Ou! Pay no attention to that cheating behind the curtains!

Nice thread resurrection - love the guy that's known Switzer for 40 years and he's not sleazy. I'm guessing Barry has either bailed him out or paid him hush money at least once during that time.

Why the SWC was disbanded.
Corruption became so commonplace in the old Southwest Conference that at one point in the '80s seven of the nine schools had been placed on probation, most notably SMU, which received the NCAA "death penalty" (and was forced to shut its football program down for one year) for a series of booster-related scandals of which school personnel were not only aware but involved.

The Link

I'm sure I can pull up a laundry list too, but I won't take the time. Just making the point that the Texas schools were also not darlings.
Your 4 clean titles came from a former Sooner 4-year starter and the other from Mack who was an assistant under Switzer. Maybe a little tainted, by your criteria?

I like that since it would be implausible to even try and refute OU's crooked and corrupt nature, the standard Okie defense is a meager "oh yeah, well you did it too!"
laugh.gif

Yes, we all did. Wasn't condoning it, by any stretch of the imagination. It was abhorrent. Simply making the point that it was rampant back in those days.

Even with SMU in the SWC

Cheating

$OONER$>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SWC

Well that would sure put a damper on the RRS and the Big 12-2. But then there is always okie state and A&M.

SoonerOne,

please read page 45 of Robert Heard's
"Oklahoma vs Texas, When Football becomes War"

If we cheated as much as you, do you really think you could outspend us?

Recent Threads

Back