Texas WBB 2024-2025 Season

I do not think NCAA has made a decision on that yet. But it may be a moot point if she has a great year and her knee holds up because she will then probably enter the WNBA draft.

Have to be honest, when I saw Codio, I said to myself, "Oh yeah, she didn't transfer". I guess with the exit of so many non-starters, I had her pegged in my head along with Maul.

I sure would like to see Codio succeed. She definitely has the perseverance though her knee injuries. What limited time I’ve seen her on the court and just watching from the bench, she seems like a good kid. Her shooting stroke seems solid. Perhaps she can feel good and wedge herself into the rotation. That would be a pleasant surprise. I’m rooting for her.

I sure would like to see Codio succeed. She definitely has the perseverance though her knee injuries. What limited time I’ve seen her on the court and just watching from the bench, she seems like a good kid. Her shooting stroke seems solid. Perhaps she can feel good and wedge herself into the rotation. That would be a pleasant surprise. I’m rooting for her.

I agree. The few times Codio has got into a game, she comes off the bench with a purpose. She isn't timid. She's never been in the game long enough to get comfortable and into the flow.

I'm in her corner too.

I agree. The few times Codio has got into a game, she comes off the bench with a purpose. She isn't timid. She's never been in the game long enough to get comfortable and into the flow.

I'm in her corner too.
I always thought she had a pretty pure shot. I think that alone makes here a good player to come in and hit a dagger when needed! Hope she gets that chance more!

Can't argue with any of that. Absent is Carlton and Jacq. Think both will be contributors...........key bench players too. But they cant list the entire team. Preston is perhaps a stretch but with Harmon an early season slow play..........perhaps. Rebounding could be a question if Jones has one or more of her episodes....so Carlton might be elevated. One thing to remember, in WBB.... and perhaps especially Texas.......2-4 injuries WILL occur. So dont plan on having your entire team and preseason lineup fun is just an exercise to allow slow summer days to pass.

Last comment..........the ceiling/floor is right on. I would be shocked if an elite 8 wasnt a slam dunk. After that, its a crapshoot. But certainly a natty is doable if everthing breaks right.

I Predict: If Rori stays healthy and playable all season I predict we win a National Championship, as we would have last year had we not lost Rori.

I Predict: If Rori stays healthy and playable all season I predict we win a National Championship, as we would have last year had we not lost Rori.
I like your optimism, but we ain't beating SC even with Rori.

It'll be interesting to see what Oldacre can do. She was highly rated out of HS, but didn't do much at Miami. Maybe Vic & co can do a better job of development.

And don't count out Shay beating out Phelia at SG, that's not out of the question. It'll also be interesting to see if Abbie can contribute.

No such thing. No kid is a waste of a scholarship.
Funny how I always get poo pooed when I state the obvious that Texas does not get the most bang for its bucks from some players. Why not check out stats from say, South Carolina, to see how much contribution their players make to the team? I'm not badmouthing players--I'm certain that they're all great individuals--I just don't believe in tuition charity via a basketball roster.

Abbie was injured all of last season. Maybe we could grant her a little grace? We don't see her and the potential she has like the coaching staff does. In Vic and staff I trust.

Abbie was injured all of last season. Maybe we could grant her a little grace? We don't see her and the potential she has like the coaching staff does. In Vic and staff I trust.

This has been discussed numerious times on other threads. She had an injury redshirt last year.

Like any 9th, 10th, 11th, or 12th player on the roster , only time will tell what she can turn into.
Don't know why some people insist that her scholly is wasted...smh

Funny how I always get poo pooed when I state the obvious that Texas does not get the most bang for its bucks from some players. Why not check out stats from say, South Carolina, to see how much contribution their players make to the team? I'm not badmouthing players--I'm certain that they're all great individuals--I just don't believe in tuition charity via a basketball roster.
The scholarship would be wasted if she wasn’t getting an education. If she’s attending classes and growing into a well-educated adult, then it’s money well spent in my opinion. Not sure why you have now mentioned this a couple of times. Are you making the argument that Rori’s scholarship was wasted last year or Amo’s the year before? I guess I just don’t understand why you keep bringing up this particular young woman’s scholarship? It’s not like she got injured on purpose. I, for one, can’t wait to see what 6’9” might contribute if healthy.

Last edited:
15 scholarships for WBB is a lot, many would say too many. 15 players cannot play meaningful minutes even over 4 years. Even allowing for injuries, most teams have players who do not play much. A lot of coaches choose not to carry more than 13 scholarship players. In my view, it makes great sense to give a scholarship to a project player who may be great in a couple of years or who may not. It makes sense to give a scholarship to a hardworking walk-on who demonstrates great commitment without expectation of playing more than a handful of game minutes all season. In my view, a wasted scholarship is an unused scholarship. Unused scholarships benefit no one.

The scholarship would be wasted if she wasn’t getting an education. If she’s attending classes and growing into a well-educated adult, then it’s money well spent in my opinion. Not sure why you have now mentioned this a couple of times. Are you making the argument that Rori’s scholarship was wasted last year or Amo’s the year before? I guess I just don’t understand why you keep bringing up this particular young woman’s scholarship? It’s not like she got injured on purpose. I, for one, can’t wait to see what 6’9” might contribute if healthy.
I've said it a couple of times because I believe athletic scholarships should be given to folks that perform and contribute to the team. She's had her rehab, and hopefully now she can start shining. I have nothing against Abbie. She's no different than Rori or Amo. My statement was that she needs to contribute, i.e. when she's healthy, or I consider her scholarship to be wasteful in terms of the athletic performance and ability she brings to the team. I don't know why you think my beliefs are negative just because they're not like yours. You're fine with giving out scholarships regardless, I am not. No big deal.

Roster is up:

Not that it matters, but I don't agree at all with listing Jones and Oldacre as Forwards and Ndjakalenga as a Guard.

We are actually kind of small at Power Forward as Moore and Carlton are listed at 6'1; definitely not as tall and deep at this position as we were this past season.

Add Justice Carlton to the bench players and they could probably win the Big 12!
I agree with your starting 5. With Shay Holle coming off the bench clearly we are loaded with an embarrassment of talent.

Yeah, I'm not all that excited about winning the "Big 12" this season . . . ;)

I've said it a couple of times because I believe athletic scholarships should be given to folks that perform and contribute to the team. She's had her rehab, and hopefully now she can start shining. I have nothing against Abbie. She's no different than Rori or Amo. My statement was that she needs to contribute, i.e. when she's healthy, or I consider her scholarship to be wasteful in terms of the athletic performance and ability she brings to the team. I don't know why you think my beliefs are negative just because they're not like yours. You're fine with giving out scholarships regardless, I am not. No big deal.
I’ll try to make my case one more time and then I am happy to just agree to disagree if you still think I’m off base..

Abbie earned the scholarship offer just like any other player- by her performance as a high school player. She got injured. Not her fault. If she recovers I hope she contributes regardless if that contribution is minutes, buckets or team chemistry. All of those things have value. The scholarship would be wasted if she wasn’t taking her courses and her time at UT seriously as a student or her rehab seriously as an athlete. I see no evidence of either. It’s not wasted if ultimately the coach found an alternative lineup that worked. It happens all the time.

Imagine if you’re a student athlete and you have worked hard to earn a spot on an elite team like Texas and then you have a devastating injury your senior year in high school. You come to the university, work your rehab, show up at every practice and every game all the while hoping the team medical staff can return you to your former athletic abilities that got you here in the first place. Now imagine you stupidly decide to look at this fan board (because you’re 19 and don’t know any better) and a fan for some reason suggests that you might be a waste of a scholarship. I just don’t understand the need to say it nor the point in saying it. Has she done anything at all to suggest she isn’t trying that would make you bring this topic up multiple times?

Yes. I think it’s a negative statement. If you don’t, then I will agree to disagree with you. I’m simply going by what you have chosen to post. I don’t know you personally so this isn’t personal. Peace. ✌️
[

Last edited:
I’ll try to make my case one more time and then I am happy to just agree to disagree if you still think I’m off base..

Abbie earned the scholarship offer just like any other player- by her performance as a high school player. She got injured. Not her fault. If she recovers I hope she contributes regardless if that contribution is minutes, buckets or team chemistry. All of those things have value. The scholarship would be wasted if she wasn’t taking her courses and her time at UT seriously as a student or her rehab seriously as an athlete. I see no evidence of either. It’s not wasted if ultimately the coach found an alternative lineup that worked. It happens all the time.

Imagine if you’re a student athlete and you have worked hard to earn a spot on an elite team like Texas and then you have a devastating injury your senior year in high school. You come to the university, work your rehab, show up at every practice and every game all the while hoping the team medical staff can return you to your former athletic abilities that got you here in the first place. Now imagine you stupidly decide to look at this fan board (because you’re 19 and don’t know any better) and a fan for some reason suggests that you might be a waste of a scholarship. I just don’t understand the need to say it nor the point in saying it. Has she done anything at all to suggest she isn’t trying that would make you bring this topic up multiple times?

Yes. I think it’s a negative statement. If you don’t, then I will agree to disagree with you. I’m simply going by what you have chosen to post. I don’t know you personally so this isn’t personal. Peace. ✌️
[
Somehow, I have been misinterpreted. I didn't say Abbie was a waste nor did I say she was to blame for her injuries. I'm sure she's a fine, young lady, and I hope she goes on to become a 6'9" dominating center! I was only trying to convey that in my mind "athletic" scholarships are typically given in anticipation of an athlete participating in a sport. Perhaps if athletes are unable to participate because of disabling and permanent injuries, their scholarships could morph into "academic" scholarships, freeing up a scholarship for another person who could play. In any event, it has yet to be seen what Abbie's future holds or whether her scholarship would need to "morph".

This ESPN article has got me salivating over the upcoming season.

Looking at the players returning, and pieces added, I would have to say in some order these are the best teams heading into the season: Connecticut, Notre Dame, NC State, South Carolina, Texas, UCLA, & USC.

This ESPN article has got me salivating over the upcoming season.

Looking at the players returning, and pieces added, I would have to say in some order these are the best teams heading into the season: Connecticut, Notre Dame, NC State, South Carolina, Texas, UCLA, & USC.

Oops, forgot LSU.

Thoughts?

As others mentioned, Carlton will be in the conversation. I think Moore and Carlton will be splitting time at PF, with coach going with whomever has the hot hand. Justice brings the outside game that will really switch things up.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-GEORGIA *
Sat, Oct 19 • 6:30 PM on ABC

Recent Threads

Back