Texas-Vanderbilt Game Thread

If we hadn't totally crapped the bed vs Georgia, and had lost a close one, I wonder if we'd be pointing the gun at our heads right now? It's just very disturbing to see us taking steps backwards at this stage of the season. I think this bye week is coming at the optimal time for us.

My opinion: this embarrassing thread, where the depressive posters go further and further into absurd hyperbole without any contradiction, will not age well. Our goal— the players and coaches—was to win the game. We succeeded; we accomplished our goal. Your goal is apparently to be entertained, and to ***** about anything that isn’t the 2005 undefeated VY team. Honestly, these posts are so immature. So, according to prevailing Hornfans opinion, the team is badly coached, the players have terrible apathetic attitudes, they are stupid and overrated , the coaches are stupid, we will be routed by A&M after losing multiple other games, the wrong quarterback is playing, your anger at winning a close (not really close, if you watched) road game against a ranked team is so justified and righteous that you feel entitled to publicize character assassinations of people you don’t even know. All because we didn’t win by “enough” for you. My gosh, are you all so fragile?

My opinion: this embarrassing thread, where the depressive posters go further and further into absurd hyperbole without any contradiction, will not age well. Our goal— the players and coaches—was to win the game. We succeeded; we accomplished our goal. Your goal is apparently to be entertained, and to ***** about anything that isn’t the 2005 undefeated VY team. Honestly, these posts are so immature. So, according to prevailing Hornfans opinion, the team is badly coached, the players have terrible apathetic attitudes, they are stupid and overrated , the coaches are stupid, we will be routed by A&M after losing multiple other games, the wrong quarterback is playing, your anger at winning a close (not really close, if you watched) road game against a ranked team is so justified and righteous that you feel entitled to publicize character assassinations of people you don’t even know. All because we didn’t win by “enough” for you. My gosh, are you all so fragile?

Did you see the mistakes being made, especially the holding penalties? We had 10 penalties for 107 yards lost. The announcers said Vandy had the lowest number of sacks in the SEC. We gave up four and had two passes batted into interceptions. They had a one-dimensional offense. I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Agree and there is no gun pointed at my head. I support the team 100% and knew this would be a tough game. We had a qb who had a solid game with 288 yards and 3 tds and 2 picks that were not his fault and a very high qb rating for the game. There is a small group on here that loves to attack him by name and throw him under the bus every chance they get. It’s almost like they hope he makes a mistake so they can say they told you so. The negativity is pathetic. Georgia had thier backs against the wall and came to play and they are very talented. Playing 2 big emotional and physical games against ou and Georgia and then having to go on the road against a ranked team who just beat Alabama was a tough challenge. We won the game and played well with the exception of some penalties which I would say a couple were questionable calls
We have a week off to heal and work on some things and I feel good where we are. GO HORNS!!!!

I thought you summed up the whole wonderful reason why "Hornfans" exists. You know, so we can break down every play of every game, rate them good or bad. Suggest to others why we would each be better calling the plays instead of some overpaid coach. Hopefully have some entertainment in the process.

Posters can ***** about the football games or can even ***** about the people who are bitching about the game. You know, just like you did.

Of course that is just 'My opinion'.

My gosh are you so.. oh, never mind

I don't agree the 2nd pick was not Ewers' fault. On that throwback screen, you should *expect* a defender to be in your face and you are supposed to throw it over him. My son ran this play dozens of time as a HS QB and he did not ever have one batted down.

Uh Huh Yes GIF by CBC

This is probably how we should feel after the game. Just so we don't offend anyone: Hey guys, great game! We won. Nothing to work on this week. See you next Saturday.

Agree and there is no gun pointed at my head. I support the team 100% and knew this would be a tough game. We had a qb who had a solid game with 288 yards and 3 tds and 2 picks that were not his fault and a very high qb rating for the game. There is a small group on here that loves to attack him by name and throw him under the bus every chance they get. It’s almost like they hope he makes a mistake so they can say they told you so. The negativity is pathetic. Georgia had thier backs against the wall and came to play and they are very talented. Playing 2 big emotional and physical games against ou and Georgia and then having to go on the road against a ranked team who just beat Alabama was a tough challenge. We won the game and played well with the exception of some penalties which I would say a couple were questionable calls
We have a week off to heal and work on some things and I feel good where we are. GO HORNS!!!!
Fans live through the wins and losses and vent when expectations are not met for big wins. That is what the board is for. Texas won against a very good well coached team. I watched their coaches press conference and they fully expected to win. He gave credit to Texas players for taking away what they were trying to do.
This was a very good road win and it is games like this that are a trap and Texas surviving with a win is big! Other teams will not be so kucky against them.
Now it is time to win out.

Last edited:
Taaffe:

On the cusp of entering the elite company of our all-time great safeties. He's knocking on the door.

:hookem3::hookem3::hookem3::hookem3:

This kid dreamed of playing for UT.

He was a walk-on that worked his A** off, got noticed, got practice time, got playing time, started, excelled and is leading on this Defense!

He is a warrior!!!

Side note: most of us that played HS football have NO CLUE how truly hard it would be to walk-on to UT... and eventually start on Defense!!

Last edited:
The program is more than halfway through the season. As fans, we should be seeing improvement week over week. The reality is that we arent...instead, there has been regression which allowed sloppiest to creep in.

And if we, as fans and observers can see it, you KNOW the opposing teams and coaches can see it.

Rust was to be expected for QE when he returned. But when he came back, it seems he is more immobile and forgot what the deep ball is. We are allowed to point this out. Instead, we have some that want to believe no criticism is ever to be allowed even if it states the obvious. That is part of why I abandoned the WBB board. I can almost tell you who will poop this post even before I submit it. To those posters...I don't care. I've stepped up to sponsor and you get my opinion whether you like it or not!

This kid dreamed of playing for UT.

He was a walk-on that worked his A** off, get noticed, get practice time, play, start, excell and lead on this Defense!

And Taafe has! He is a warrior!!!

Side note: most of us that played HS football have NO CLUE how truly hard it would be to walk-on to UT... and eventually start on Defense!!
Hopefully he’s already benefiting from NIL money and I’d love to see him go 2nd round in the NFL draft. He deserves it!

💯

I still always point to the Mack Brown days of losing to much lesser talented teams like Tech and playing way to close to OkSt and others that Texas had no business eeking out wins against.

Vanderbilt is a solid, well-coached team with a scary mobile QB. They easily could have been undefeated when playing us. Again, this is a game that Sark would have lost in 21/22.

At least we didn’t lose to them like Bama.

Vandy will give TN and LSU’s horrid defense all sorts of fits.

I think this one kind of falls in that same territory as last year's UH, KSU, and TCU games. Had just enough of a lead at a point in the game where it seemed like we could run away with it, but kept making mental mistakes that allowed the opponent a small-but-attainable opening to get back in the game.

The good news is we have experience with this. The 2023 team really came together after the near-disaster to TCU. They doubled down on eliminating defensive mental mistakes against ISU, and then we crushed Tech and OK State on our way to the playoff. I'm thinking we can rally against UF at home if we can play them in a defensive-minded way. If Broughton lays up after the QBP on Pavia, we win that game 34-17, and I think that's the kind of thing we can mentally fix.

The bad news is that I think some of our individual players have "peaked" and don't have that next gear to improve. The right side of the OL comes to mind. QE seems stalled in his return to what made him great before the UTSA injury. The backs are what they are and while they're a nice safety blanket, I don't think any opponent fears prepping them out because they're just bodies. We don't seem to have the scheme or protection for intermediate passing routes any longer.

Most of us, whether we played competitive sports or not (I didn't) have no conception of the talent level required to even participate at the various levels of competitive sports.
The very best high school football teams will only have a small handful of players who will go on to play at a D1 college. The very best D1 college teams will only have a small handful of players who will play in the NFL. The distillation of talent that takes place at each level of any sport is incredible. This only makes it more incredible when we see those rare athletes that are superstars at the highest levels. The dedication, drive, competitive spirit and work ethic required to excel is beyond the comprehension of most all of us.

Not sure I agree with this perception argument. Those of us, at least most of us, who played HS sports have seen the difference in that one or two athletes whom vastly stood head and shoulders above the rest of us. My best sport was baseball and I remember one kid on our traveling squad that took SS away from me. He absolutely deserved it. He left baseball to play for UTEP basketball. Before you say big deal UTEP he was a freshman on their national championship team back in 66. And I can remember playing football against RB in his that made everyone look like 6th graders.
Not sure what my point is here except to say the degree of talent - above the norm - can be recognized right away. Now the work and effort, since most of us will not do it, might be harder to imagine but all of us can appreciate anyone willing to endure it. I’m going to get a Taafe (sp) T shirt.

I have a somewhat different opinion, maybe my interpretation of the thread is just different. Yes, they won and that is really the only goal, especially in the college football playoff era. Win and move on. While each game stands on its own and there really is no transitive properties in any sport, this is more about Texas not playing to a standard that I think they have set for themselves and is demonstrated in the final results. First, Georgia exposed something in the pass protection scheme of Texas. The announcers kept referring to a slide scheme. Whatever it is it is not being executed by the line and the running back or tight end staying in to help.

Quinn Ewers has his part in the pass protection as well and since the injury it simply does not appear that he has regained any feel for the open spaces in the pocket and sliding into those spaces. Just compare what he did against Michigan that has a good defensive front as opposed to the game against Georgia. By way of example, the td to Helm against Michigan he stepped up into an open space and delivered a td pass. On one sack against Georgia near the Texas goal line, Banks was pushing his man outside and to the ground, but Ewers was a hair late in feeling it and sliding up and to the left into a wide-open space to buy time. He was tripped up for the sack. Georgia certainly didn't fear or respect QE as a runner. He might get the occasional 7–10-yard gain, but against superior athletes even that will be hard to come by.

I am not certain whether there have been any "hot" routes being run by the receivers, but it doesn't appear to be the case. That would require QE and the receiver to recognize the blitz and where it is coming from and be on the same page. I don't see any of that. The penalties have been a consistent issue all year long and at this point it is unrealistic to think it will change (it could, but after 8 games will it).

In three of the last four games, Texas will face tough defensive fronts (not sure about Fla., but they will have athletes) and in two of those games the defense will be fueled by a holy jihad attitude. I think that is what is concerning to many, if something doesn't change in the pass protection, penalties and turnovers.

Many of the penalties should be within Texas control (no false starts, motion etc. or better technique eliminates holding calls) and if they had done that against Vandy, it is a 28+ point win. Texas was going head-to-head with Georgia in the first quarter until Ewers was blasted on the corner blitz (who came in untouched) and fumbled. He was not the same for at least two quarters after that.

Last edited:
You guys are awfully critical for the program’s first win over Vanderbilt. Sheesh!

MC,

Some of us lived through DKR winning THIRTY in a row and COVERING 29 times. :yippee:

Not likely to ever happen again, but we can dream. Pretty sure all those bookies are dead now.

The program is more than halfway through the season. As fans, we should be seeing improvement week over week. The reality is that we arent...instead, there has been regression which allowed sloppiest to creep in.

And if we, as fans and observers can see it, you KNOW the opposing teams and coaches can see it.

Rust was to be expected for QE when he returned. But when he came back, it seems he is more immobile and forgot what the deep ball is. We are allowed to point this out. Instead, we have some that want to believe no criticism is ever to be allowed even if it states the obvious. That is part of why I abandoned the WBB board. I can almost tell you who will poop this post even before I submit it. To those posters...I don't care. I've stepped up to sponsor and you get my opinion whether you like it or not!
I like it. But I also appreciate different opinions and perspectives from my own. It helps me think better. Some people don't value that and call people with an opinion different than their own a certain name.

Recent Threads

Back