Texas - OU Game Thread

Silas Bolden, number 11, deserves a game ball! His all out hustle play to make a TD scoring/saving play may have completely changed the complexion of the game. He could have been justifiably completely out of the play when he made his block and the RB was 15 yards ahead, downfield. Instead he trailed at high speed putting himself in position to make the play. Pure 100% hustle and winner culture on display. He loafs on that play, we turn it over with no points and OU has renewed wind in their tattered sail. Truly that hustle play may be a big reason we are in the Championship game, if God willing, we can maintain that culture. It is plays like that that winners make and that save the day when other parts of our game are flat. Hook ‘em and hats off to Silas Bolden. It has only taken him six games to be a true Longhorn stud.

Just got back from the Fair. Thoughts:

-- Much like everyone else on the orange side, I was thinking "alright all we need to do is get this revved up in the 2nd quarter" and it kinda worked. Minus that Wisner fumble that our side of the stadium "willed" Bolden to recover, we really pulled it together just enough to say that the game was ours.

-- I honestly didn't think the D played well. I think OU really was that bad, especially with how much time it was taking Hawkins to make decisions and how he had zero help from every individual OL man throughout the afternoon. They had open receivers that we just kind of left open because there was zero chance Hawkins was going to see them or be able to rifle it into them.

-- The whole team just kind of shrugged off QE not being 100%. But it had some consequences that, if this was a playoff game or whatever, we probably wouldn't have been able to make up. The pick was a horrible overthrow. The one to Bond near the sideline got him hurt. The whip route to Moore was way too early. I almost see this as "why not just play him because OU is THAT bad." Manning comes in if this was a close game against a better team.

-- I'm not sure what Bert Auburn's warmup routine is, but it's not good enough.

-- I can't even fathom how good our run game would be if Baxter was healthy. And how much more passpro we'd get on downs like 3rd-and-6.

-- Pretty much every OU fan I acknowledged before the game felt like a John Blake era, resigned-to-the-outcome, sad sack of fandom that knew what was in store. I love how the 1st quarter gave them hope and then we squashed it like a bug.

-- Corny dogs are still good.

-- Gunnar Helm is going to get some serious NFL looks.

-- Wingo needs to be the primary outlet as soon as he gets all of the route-running down.

-- I'm not sure if anyone else here had a similar experience, but this might have been one of the easiest travel/parking situations in recent memory. I have lived in the metroplex for a little over 40 years now (except for my Austin stints in the middle), and I can't remember a time when I just parked wherever and made it out in a timely fashion as well.
Good observations.

For these eyes, something is not right with Quinn, and it’s not just the oblique injury, or “rust.” I think he has a problem with his hand, which was evident on the duck he threw against UTSA after getting hit. He hasn’t been the same since. This is a QB that throws with extraordinary precision… usually.

There is no question that Sark understands this, perfectly. His dilemma is confounding. Does he replace an 75% QE with aspirations of a trip to New York, with a redshirt freshman that is immensely talented but not polished (yet), and risk negatively impacting the culture? Or does he stick with Quinn, at 75% and unable to make many of the throws, and perhaps not give this team best chance to win against Georgia?

I guess that’s why he’s making $10 million, and I’m not.

Silas Bolden, number 11, deserves a game ball! His all out hustle play to make a TD scoring/saving play may have completely changed the complexion of the game. He could have been justifiably completely out of the play when he made his block and the RB was 15 yards ahead, downfield. Instead he trailed at high speed putting himself in position to make the play. Pure 100% hustle and winner culture on display. He loafs on that play, we turn it over with no points and OU has renewed wind in their tattered sail. Truly that hustle play may be a big reason we are in the Championship game, if God willing, we can maintain that culture. It is plays like that that winners make and that save the day when other parts of our game are flat. Hook ‘em and hats off to Silas Bolden. It has only taken him six games to be a true Longhorn stud.
Let me add that Bolden put on a clinic of how to make an extremely difficult recovery, under extreme circumstances. Running at full speed and with the end line rapidly approaching, he cushioned his landing with both knees to come under control, and then secured the ball immediately, and decisively. I don’t think we will ever see another fumble recovery as brilliantly handled as that one. It was something to behold.

Bolden being there at right time sure looked like Luck
But Golgo451 pointed out what DKR said
"Luck is when opportunity meets preparation. ---DKR"
BS,luck. After injury, I had the unenviable job of grading films. Remember films!? If I graded according to players wishes I was popular. But coaches grading (required) put one in the player s—-house. One super critical coach scoring point was out of play, downfield hustle. We saw it last year when Whittington came from 30 yards behind an interception to cause and recover a fumble. That kind of “luck” is what makes winners CHAMPIONS. Bolden just flat out scored a ten on that play for himself. His initial block was good as well. A 5’8, 160# rceiver is not supposed to be able to block OUs all world CB, but by damn he did.

Let me add that Bolden put on a clinic of how to make an extremely difficult recovery, under extreme circumstances. Running at full speed and with the end line rapidly approaching, he cushioned his landing with both knees to come under control, and then secured the ball immediately, and decisively. I don’t think we will ever see another fumble recovery as brilliantly handled as that one. It was something to behold.
Exactly correct. Dont jump ON the ball. Land beside it and curl it. At full speed, that is no easy chore. Text book. Honestly, I was sort of meh about taking the little guy. I have always been a fan of the Roy Williams, 6,4 receiver. But dedicated growling hustle adds about 6” and 40#. Packaged dynamite.

Doesn't Venerabubbles look like he could snap easier and quicker than that corny dog stick?

Wow, Mack brown would have never done anything like that. Always looking ahead to the next *** beating from Stoops and hoping Stoops would keep it under 80 points.

To Sark, it don't make a ****.

He did it so well that the play didn't even need review.

Totally agree. I will add he did that after blocking behind the line of scrimmage on the play. That’s what make this team different.

Agree with everyone on the Bolden play. I have a neighbor who is a not really serious Georgia fan. Couldn't compute watching the game with me. Anyway, when that play happened, I said that is usually the sort of fluke play that OU has had over the decades go their way.

"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity."
Life according to St. Darrell

I think it was 2007 against Colorado, the offensive line pushed a running back about 10 yards for a touchdown. Golden’s hustle reminded me of that. Texas Fight!

Texas has never lost a game to anyone while in the SEC
Ok here in SEC country - honestly just RTR, they are beside themselves. We haven’t played anyone. Just wait until the SEC grind. aggy projects a loss every weekend for us, then says they aren’t that good.

We might not run the table, but we will kick Georgia’s ***.

Surprised no one has posted this yet. Not as great as Crying Sooner Kid, but it was the best shot I could find in my recording of the game.
IMG_1357.jpeg

Last edited:

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-GEORGIA *
Sat, Oct 19 • 6:30 PM on ABC

Recent Threads

Back