Texas - OU Game Thread

I was at the game today. Its exciting how good this team is that we can look that bad on offense and still win by 31.

OTOH, I really thought the move to the SEC would put a stop to OU getting away with offensive holding on every other play. Sadly I was wrong.

Just got back from the Fair. Thoughts:

-- Much like everyone else on the orange side, I was thinking "alright all we need to do is get this revved up in the 2nd quarter" and it kinda worked. Minus that Wisner fumble that our side of the stadium "willed" Bolden to recover, we really pulled it together just enough to say that the game was ours.

-- I honestly didn't think the D played well. I think OU really was that bad, especially with how much time it was taking Hawkins to make decisions and how he had zero help from every individual OL man throughout the afternoon. They had open receivers that we just kind of left open because there was zero chance Hawkins was going to see them or be able to rifle it into them.

-- The whole team just kind of shrugged off QE not being 100%. But it had some consequences that, if this was a playoff game or whatever, we probably wouldn't have been able to make up. The pick was a horrible overthrow. The one to Bond near the sideline got him hurt. The whip route to Moore was way too early. I almost see this as "why not just play him because OU is THAT bad." Manning comes in if this was a close game against a better team.

-- I'm not sure what Bert Auburn's warmup routine is, but it's not good enough.

-- I can't even fathom how good our run game would be if Baxter was healthy. And how much more passpro we'd get on downs like 3rd-and-6.

-- Pretty much every OU fan I acknowledged before the game felt like a John Blake era, resigned-to-the-outcome, sad sack of fandom that knew what was in store. I love how the 1st quarter gave them hope and then we squashed it like a bug.

-- Corny dogs are still good.

-- Gunnar Helm is going to get some serious NFL looks.

-- Wingo needs to be the primary outlet as soon as he gets all of the route-running down.

-- I'm not sure if anyone else here had a similar experience, but this might have been one of the easiest travel/parking situations in recent memory. I have lived in the metroplex for a little over 40 years now (except for my Austin stints in the middle), and I can't remember a time when I just parked wherever and made it out in a timely fashion as well.

After going to 10 straight OU games, today was my first in 23 years. It was absolutely delicious!

I will say, as an older adult the mayhem of the fair on game day is not my full cup of tea. I enjoyed it for a while but couldn't wait to get out of that mess at the end.

I should be soooooo happy....I am...... but or offense SUX! If your being honest, that was AWFUL!!!! That game should HAVE BEEN IN THE 50"S

Truth!!!!

I should be soooooo happy....I am...... but or offense SUX! If your being honest, that was AWFUL!!!! That game should HAVE BEEN IN THE 50"S

Truth!!!!

the fact that Texas can keep having flawed performances and still blow everyone out is pretty solid. very saban-like. hope they can keep it up and clean things up a bit more. scary to think what they would look like if they played a mostly clean game.

the fact that Texas can keep having flawed performances and still blow everyone out is pretty solid. very saban-like. hope they can keep it up and clean things up a bit more. scary to think what they would look like if they played a mostly clean game.
The punter is uneven, the K is uneven, RB has been uneven, QB has been uneven, but most everyone else has been fairly consistent.

Truth!!!!

It wasn't awful, but it should have been in the 50's. I thought play calling was suspect at times. We should have taken the points instead of going for it on 4th twice which would have been easy 6 points. First quarter plan seemed odd like we were trying to bomb them out of the gate with a qb who hadn't played in a month. It was rocky but a very solid win.

From this morning’s Washington Post:

On the bright side for Sooners fans who couldn’t make it to the Texas State Fair, things were over fast enough at the Cotton Bowl to allow them to switch channels and watch former coach Lincoln Riley and Southern California lose.

When we were leaving the fair, right by the exit, Dodge had set up a test track where they were giving people rides in their trucks and they had a couple of ramps set up and they were getting air. It was pretty cool. As we walked by the guy on the mic said 'hey OU fans, your team is going to be unranked next week but you can still get a free ride!'

I don’t think it will ruin his legacy. I compare it to an elderly parent who often lose their memory and struggle at the end. It is sad to see. After they pass, we remember the good times. I think Mack retires after this year.

TEXAGS has almost as many posts about our game as Hornfans.
Some Texags gold.

Blinnaggie2002
8:44p, 10/12/24

Watched the full replay of thr game. Tu sucks. Oh sucks even more. We are going to absolutely manhandle them. This has to be the worst ou team I've seen in decades and probably an average tu team at best despite what the liberal media says. They love liberal schools like tu so they pump them up year after year so they can get recruits. They hate America loving schools like us so they push recruits against A&M and towards those liberal institutions.

AustinAg2K
8:59p, 10/12/24

Texas has finally completed it's Big 12 portion of the schedule. Now , they step it up and learn what the SEC is like.

DuncanLEO
In reply to Bassinagfan9:05p, 10/12/24

Bassinagfan said:
Texas and SCAR look totally beatable based on today's performances.

Wise man speaks here, both teams looked soft today.

Wow

The definition of hustle. Like JWhitt’s rundown last year of the TCU DB who intercepted QE, JW caught him, punched the ball out, recovered by Texas. No quit on the play. That’s championship-level culture.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-GEORGIA *
Sat, Oct 19 • 6:30 PM on ABC

Recent Threads

Back