Texas-Georgia Game Thread

The bottom line on that PI call-reversal is the refs got it right. GA #11 initiated contact and was not looking at the ball. He pushed off and then looked for the ball. If he had caught it, it would have rightly been called offensive PI.

Big 12 refs would have never changed that call in a million years. Kudos to the SEC refs who did that they had to do to get it right.
I disagreed with the reversal when it happened in the stadium and still think it was wrong. There are wrong calls that happen all day long in this league. It’s a bad precedent to allow a time delay from trash being thrown on the field to reverse a call that isn’t reviewable. How did other officials convince that side judge they had a better view aside from watching the big screen reply or getting a buzz into the ear of the head ref.

We will all be ape$hit if that happened against us.

I disagreed with the reversal when it happened in the stadium and still think it was wrong. There are wrong calls that happen all day long in this league. It’s a bad precedent to allow a time delay from trash being thrown on the field to reverse a call that isn’t reviewable. How did other officials convince that side judge they had a better view aside from watching the big screen reply or getting a buzz into the ear of the head ref.

How do you know if the delay caused reversal?

I was at the game so I haven’t read this thread until now. (Flew in from CA with a $710 ticket. What a waste.)

I will only talk about the offense for now.

I assume that the OL has been thoroughly trashed and it seems to be deserved. But I tend to think that their biggest issue could be the quarterback, QE. Georgia saw his performance against Oklahoma, and they understood and game-planned for the obvious deficiencies.

First, Quinn is unable or unwilling to stand in, to wait for receivers to clear. In other words, he has happy feet and he checks down quickly. If you are a receiver on this team, that cannot please you.

Secondly, he is still unable to move around the pocket efficiently. To step up. Again, I have to believe that this is something Georgia scouted.

And finally, Quinn has never been even an average deep passer. Arch is.

So while the OL did not have a good night, and perhaps the blitz pick ups by the back were not particularly good either, I think it all starts with the QB.

I thought Sark’s decision to insert Arch late in the first half was the right one. Yes, he was under the same pressure, but he had just gotten into the game and had no time to not acclimate. He was obviously more mobile.

I had believed until last week that Quinn had the skills to be a proficient QB at the next level. Now, unless he is injured – and I suppose he could be – I’m going to change that assessment. We saw a second round draft choice last night at best, and maybe lower than that.

I would probably (hesitatingly) go with Quinn next weekend (if he looks better in practice this week), and if he shows out, maybe stick with him. But personally, I would have no hesitation to switch, now, to Arch. In fact, that is my preference. The team might not like it, and yes, Sark should justifiably be concerned about the potential impact on the culture, but they have nothing to complain about. They got their asses whipped last night, and it was a national embarrassment. Not to mention the 50+ high level recruits who had to be underwhelmed by what they saw from Texas’ “prolific” offense.

Were the officials already talking before the dumbasses started throwing things on the field or after there was the delay because of people acting like they were sand aggy. That should never ever happen again at DKR. It was embarrassing. The head referee should not have made the announcement before the officials huddled. After he made the announcement it should have been over. Never seen it play out like that before and Smart had every right to go ballistic at that point.

The bottom line on that PI call-reversal is the refs got it right. GA #11 initiated contact and was not looking at the ball. He pushed off and then looked for the ball. If he had caught it, it would have rightly been called offensive PI.

Big 12 refs would have never changed that call in a million years. Kudos to the SEC refs who did that they had to do to get it right.
This cannot be overstated. B12 ref's not only woulda never reversed the call, but they woulda tacked on an additional 15 for the bottles on the field. SEC ref's may not help us, because that shoulda been offensive PI, but at least they aren't going to flat out give the game to the opponent, which B12 ref's did more than once.

I was at the game so I haven’t read this thread until now. (Flew in from CA with a $710 ticket. What a waste.)

I assume that the OL has been thoroughly trashed and it seems to be deserved. But I tend to think that their biggest issue could be the quarterback, QE. Georgia saw his performance against Oklahoma, and they understood and game-planned for the obvious deficiencies.

First, Quinn is unable or unwilling to stand in, to wait for receivers to clear. In other words, he has happy feet and he checks down quickly. If you are a receiver on this team, that cannot please you.

Secondly, he is still unable to move around the pocket efficiently. To step up. Again, I have to believe that this is something Georgia scouted.

So while the OL did not have a good night, and perhaps the blitz pick ups by the back were not particularly good either, I think it all starts with the QB.

I thought Sark’s decision to insert Arch late in the first half was the right one. Yes, he was under the same pressure, but he had just gotten into the game and had no time to not acclimate. He was obviously more mobile.

I had believed until last week that Quinn had the skills to be a proficient QB at the next level. Now, unless he is injured – and I suppose he could be – I’m going to change that assessment. We saw a second round draft choice last night at best, and maybe lower than that.

I would probably (hesitatingly) go with Quinn next weekend (if he looks better in practice this week), and if he shows out, maybe stick with him. But personally, I would have no hesitation to switch, now, to Arch. In fact, that is my preference. The team might not like it, and yes, Sark should justifiably be concerned about the potential impact on the culture, but they have nothing to complain about. They got their asses whipped last night, and it was a national embarrassment. Not to mention the 50+ high level recruits who had to be underwhelmed by what they saw from Texas’ “prolific” offense.
I wish we had chosen Klubnick instead of Ewers. It’s was apparent when they played each other in high school who was better.

Texas lost last night due to the offense not taking care of the football giving Georgia short fields and scoring opportunities time after time after time.
They game planned around the fact Texas has little to no running game and Ewers is no threat to escape the pocket and take off downfield. He’s extremely immobile. Sark has said time after time that the zone read is not part of our offense. With Arch at the position, he might want to rethink that.
As poorly as we played the opportunity to win the game was still a possibility.

The defense played a fairly decent game. They let Georgia off the hook on their one long drive on 3rd and long. Played a bit too soft.
Beck couldn’t throw up when pressured. Hindsight of course, but we should’ve gotten after him more than we did.

The Horns will bounce back against vandy. All will be right once again. I’ll go through my pregame rituals and check every box to make sure victory comes our way. I must’ve missed something yesterday. Therefore, I’m to blame.
Hopefully there will be a next time facing Georgia this season. We’ll get ‘em and take care of business like we should have yesterday.
Then again what do I know. I’m just an old man rambling on and on this moaning.

Our dobbers may be down, but our Horns are always UP!
Hook Em!

The Horns will bounce back against vandy. All will be right once again. I’ll go through my pregame rituals and check every box to make sure victory comes our way. I must’ve missed something yesterday. Therefore, I’m to blame.
So true. I knew it was something other than QE, the OL……….

I really don't blame Quinn or Arch when the pass rush is getting to them before the WR's are close to getting open. You can't throw the ball when you don't know if the WR is going to be open. Maybe the OC needs to call shorter pass patterns.

But it seems like it's almost a requirement to have a mobile QB to be able to beat the best defenses in today's game. Fortunately no one else left on the schedule will be able to deliver a pass rush like GA's, but aggy in collieville will be close.

GA is no doubt the most talented team in the country, they just haven't been playing like it until last night. People want to say it was turnovers that cost Texas the game, but those turnovers weren't given to them, they were the result of great defensive play. We know Texas will always get the opponents best game.

And having a net negative 25 yards on every punt exchange certainly doesn't help either

Go no further. Smart cheated by watching film of Ewers and knew he did not have to worry about the deep ball. This he could keep an extra man in to crash the LOS.

Then to make matters worse, Texas had to keep a receiver in to help with blocking.

Then Texas adjusted and went to Helm, but most of the time in the first half he was covered. In the second half he wasn't covered, but Ewers didn't have time to find him sufficiently enough stop all of the stunts, twists and blitzes.

Oh, 29 rushing yards on 27 carries isn't going to cut it an any league from Pee-Wee to the NFL.

Game,set, match.

Where are the long throws
It's hard to make a long throw when you NEVER read the damn defense! I like QE, but he got exposed. On multiple plays, the safety on Ewers right side was so far out of position, he looked more like another LB. My problem, Quinn breaks the huddle and NEVER looked right while "reading" the defense. There were receivers open, but when you stare down one, the defense soon quits covering the others.

Yes, he had pressure and had them in his face, but when Kirby Smart telegraphs things everyway possible except putting it up on the jumbotron - READ THE ******* DEFENSE!

Speaking of jumbotron and our WWE wannabe announcer, anyone know where the "off switch" is?

ABSOLUTELY! Totally unacceptable, and the Texas fan base knows that.
HHD,

Could not agree more, as well as, when did we check our class and dignity at the ticket gate? Why the hell are we booing the opponent when they come out of the locker room?

I don't, and never have liked Kirby Smart. Nobody wants to beat Oklahoma more than I do. Boo the incompetent officials? Absolutely, all day, any day, but the opposing team before the game starts? That **** is for Arkansas, OU, Auburn, and clueless fanbases like FSU & State Penn.

It's hard to make a long throw when you NEVER read the damn defense! I like QE, but he got exposed. On multiple plays, the safety on Ewers right side was so far out of position, he looked more like another LB. My problem, Quinn breaks the huddle and NEVER looked right while "reading" the defense. There were receivers open, but when you stare down one, the defense soon quits covering the others.

Yes, he had pressure and had them in his face, but when Kirby Smart telegraphs things everyway possible except putting it up on the jumbotron - READ THE ******* DEFENSE!

Speaking of jumbotron and our WWE wannabe announcer, anyone know where the "off switch" is?
Absolutely.

We never seemed to properly recognize pressure and get the damn ball out to any kind of hot route. Someone blitzing leaves something open if you recognize it coming.

Our line didn't look like adjusted, and the same with our qb.

Needless to say I was thoroughly put out with the game while it happened. After a day to calm down I have a little different perspective. I agree that QE has some deficiencies but our OL got ars raped yesterday by 4 guys most of the time. I have been harping all year about our lack of DT play and last night we say what it should be. Now back to the offense or lack of. When your OL cant protect, you have to adjust and the spread offense helps negate that. Whether Sark is a fan or not, we have the horses at WR to make that work exceptionally well. The right side of our OL is weak to say the least. Our QB's dont seem to be taught how to read defenses like Vince and Colt were. They seemed to know where the pressure would come from and the WR's would also adjust but we are lacking in that area. Lots of room for improvement as there arent many teams with DL like Georgia.

I am not as down on the game as some. Georgia played a perfect game on d and our d kept us from getting blown out. Disappointed in Wisners drop as that was going to be a big play but he certainly didnt cause the loss. Give Georgia credit as they scouted and prepared extremely well for our offense. Lets hope this was a learning lesson and that we get better and it didnt negatively impact any of the monster recruits at the game. Its not much consulation but ou got handed a severe beat down on their home turf. We lost but I dont believe it was a beat down.

I really don't blame Quinn or Arch when the pass rush is getting to them before the WR's are close to getting open. You can't throw the ball when you don't know if the WR is going to be open. Maybe the OC needs to call shorter pass patterns.

But it seems like it's almost a requirement to have a mobile QB to be able to beat the best defenses in today's game. Fortunately no one else left on the schedule will be able to deliver a pass rush like GA's, but aggy in collieville will be close.

GA is no doubt the most talented team in the country, they just haven't been playing like it until last night. People want to say it was turnovers that cost Texas the game, but those turnovers weren't given to them, they were the result of great defensive play. We know Texas will always get the opponents best game.

And having a net negative 25 yards on every punt exchange certainly doesn't help either
How could Sark have game planned that our first team all American left tackle could not block their end? Everything we have done, for 2 1/2 years since that player hit campus, has been built on the assumption that he could protect the blind side. And, because of our RB injuries, our backs are basically small and weak against blitzers. I don’t mean to say a fairytale thing, but if we have Ricky Williams in the backfield—just solely as a blocker who never touched the ball—we could have hit enough passes to win that game.

Edit—of course, I know it’s frivolous to say Ricky Williams would have changed things—of course he would. My point is that (I believe) we are only a superb backfield blocker from still being undefeated and #1.

Last edited:
The special teams are below average. The defense is very good. The offense is not good against that defensive line.

VY,

I agree; the blocking back doesn't have to be Terry Orr or Ronnie Robinson, but a Mike Luck would suffice - a gym rat that isn't afraid to stick his helmet on a DE or LB and delay if not stop him.

Editorial note: this does NOT include any of Mack Brown's infamous and useless lardasses he was so fond of.

Quarter mil 💰

I get it, but here’s my emotional reaction.

Yes, the behavior was embarrassing, unacceptable, and well, terrible. But the effing conference probably needs to hire competent officials who don’t make extraordinarily poor calls — phantom calls — like the one we saw last night.

Does that exonerate the behavior? Of course not. But again, put officials on the field that are competent and know what they’re doing. Had that been the case — or had the other officials huddled with the official that made the call immediately after, and what we saw last night would never have happened, because they would’ve waived off the penalty.

I do believe there’s a silver lining. This could force a serious discussion about allowing head coaches to question perhaps one “discretionary call” per game, or per half. Doesn’t the game need that?

I’m not saying that this happened last night, but I would argue that it certainly happened late in the Cal-Miami game. An egregious mistake cost Cal a victory (and insured that Miami remained undefeated), and one has to wonder about the credibility of officials who chose to ignore clear video evidence that was so obvious that again, the announcers questioned the point of having a rule if it won’t be enforced.

Quarter mil 💰

Pay the money, but send a message to the $EC Office that says "send us better officials next time, but whatever you do don't send the Official who make the mistake or the Refree who let things get out of hand. Finall demand a public apology from Kirby Smart for blaming the crowd for the officials mistake.

Its October, not January Kirby...lol Its a bit early for the "nobody gave us a chance..."Your network (ESPN) didn't pick us" glass of whine...lol. Only a 4 pt Dog..let it go :bevo:

Following my don't get on the internet rule until the next evening after a loss rule and just now perusing the various comments here are my quick thoughts:

-OL got dominated as badly as they have in years, they looked lost and out of position, the OL play was the difference in the game and it was huge;
-Ewers had another slow start and that can't keep happening;
-Defense played well but too many short fields and four Texas turnovers screwed them hard even as they played well enough for Texas to win;
-To put a point on defense playing well, Georgia only had 24 more yards in offense than Texas;
-If you had told me Texas intercepts Beck three times I would have said Texas wins by 10 plus, but the four turnovers by Texas changed that whole dynamic;
-the officials were inept but Texas fans can't do what they did, PERIOD, really bad look;
-We shouldn't overreact to one loss to likely the best team in the country, Texas is good enough to win out and make the playoff but has to stop farting around to start games or two to three more losses could happen.

"Ban alcohol"? Typical bureaucrats.

Earth to idiots - it's the student section. They don't buy it, they bring it in; always have & always will! So take away a solid revenue source from the department while not changing one damn thing other than the donors will go back to bringing their own or staying in the club the entire game.

Uh, remember the Ala game? A few good, no great deep balls in that game.
On the game - you cannot stop a bull rush with a zero run threat. But I think they had an incredible game plan for their defense. The pass rushes were timed affairs, tie up the line and then send the blitzer according to the side you’ve tied up. Brilliantly enacted.
And imo had Arch moved the ball and not fumbled he would have stayed in the game but unfortunately he did and that was that. You then go back to experience. But I certainly agree to the hurt part, if QE is still hurt the decision to play Arch changes dramatically.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-VANDERBILT *
Sat, Oct 26 • 3:15 PM on SECN

Recent Threads

Back