Random Season News

Geez Texas athletics have been so phenomenal this year what the heck has Stanford done that they are ahead?
To name a few off top of head:
1. Stanford men placed 3rd in track and field.
2. Stanford women tennis and golf placing ahead of Texas. Same for swimming and diving.
3. Stanford women basketball and soccer placing similar to Texas.
4. Stanford women volleyball and men’s tennis and golf placing slightly behind Texas.
5. Stanford participating in 11 other sports that Texas doesn’t participate in.

Texas has to win the baseball national championship to beat Stanford in the Learfield Cup. Men track, women golf, and men tennis fell short this year (say top 12 instead of top 8, and top 8 instead of top 4, and top 4 instead of top 2, etc). Texas has zero margin of error against 31 sports of Stanford.

Texas has to win the baseball national championship to beat Stanford in the Learfield Cup. Men track, women golf, and men tennis fell short this year (say top 12 instead of top 8, and top 8 instead of top 4, and top 4 instead of top 2, etc). Texas has zero margin of error against 31 sports of Stanford.
And rowing...we're used to that team winning or coming in second at worst. Not so much this year...

And rowing...we're used to that team winning or coming in second at worst. Not so much this year...
Yes - while Texas was good, really good, or great across the board, there is no margin for error. We will likely finish second this year, but over the last 3 years, Texas is still on top of Stanford.

Yes - while Texas was good, really good, or great across the board, there is no margin for error. We will likely finish second this year, but over the last 3 years, Texas is still on top of Stanford.
IIRC: 1 of our former coaches (Augie???) used to keep a 2nd place trophy from Omaha (????) as a doorstop.

Last edited:
The Learfield Cup counts the top 19 sports per program. Texas has 20 sports, Stanford has 31.
I wonder if they keep all those 31 sports after the Pac-10 exodus and tv revenue losses?
You can only get so much personal donor millions for sports that are non-revenue sports.

How do they pay for 31 sports? Even considering their tuition is more than double Texas'
Their enrollment is 30,000 or so less.
Edit to add Stanford fielded 36 varsity sports but cut 11 of them after the 20/21 year. Yet it still shows Stanford has 36 varsity sports??

Last edited:
How do they pay for 31 sports? Even considering their tuition is more than double Texas'
Their enrollment is 30,000 or so less.
Edit to add Stanford fielded 36 varsity sports but cut 11 of them after the 20/21 year. Yet it still shows Stanford has 36 varsity sports??
With one of the largest endowments in the country...that's how. I may be wrong in this so feel free to correct me...One of the main differences with Texas varsity sports is that they are paid in whole by sports revenue; primarily football. Money that is meant for academia is not used. That is the reason for the limit on Texas varsity sports. Any addition would have to be a revenue generating endeavor or would siphon money from other varsity sports. The other part of the expense is the commitment to treat all varsity sports equal...equal methods of travel, equal training staff, equal everything.

Stanford's administration made a single decision this past year that will likely cost them $25-50 million a year in donations. It was the kind of decision that I would have expected from our administration over the last thirty years, but Stanford never. The "egghead" mentality seemingly has taken over in the front office.

Then there is the little issue of the administration's decision to play street ***** for GE which has me questioning who is watching the bank account in Palo Alto,

The Only.jpeg

It's not just that we're comparing our entire program top to bottom, to Stanford getting to drop the bottom third of their programs; it's also that a lot of the extra ones they field teams in don't have a lot of competition. For example, there are only 22 Division 1 men's fencing programs.

Last edited:
No offense but what has Texas done to deserve #5? Quite honestly there are plenty of coaches and sportswriters hyping up Texas every year so they can talk/write about how over-rated Texas is.

QE had a nice spring and Worthy was found out to be injured now healthy is all I can come up with. I think we lost more on defense than we think, so I think we end up ranked 8-16. Could be wrong though.

No offense but what has Texas done to deserve #5? Quite honestly there are plenty of coaches and sportswriters hyping up Texas every year so they can talk/write about how over-rated Texas is.
we may been overhyped in past years but what does that have to do with this year? Each year is a different team.
we have a great team this coming season barring injury to key players.
Sark better do something with these players or maybe he is the one who is overhyped.

we may been overhyped in past years but what does that have to do with this year? Each year is a different team.
we have a great team this coming season barring injury to key players.
Sark better do something with these players or maybe he is the one who is overhyped.
Perhaps because Texas has yet to prove anything yet "this year". And I think you made my point, what has SWS ever done to prove he can put Texas in the top 5?

And, FIFY "we have great talent this coming season barring injury to key players". Ask Jumbo what great talent has done for him. Well, maybe ask aggie fans not Jumbo.

Recent Threads

Back