Random Season News

I know Rod Wright has been coaching for about 14 years now, but I don't know what kind of success his collegiate lines have achieved. Can you illuminate us?

I kind of fear that with Ryans getting a lot of nods for pro CotY honors, Wright might be on more of an NFL fast track, but I don't have any special insight into his coaching style that anyone else would have.

At Sam St, he was known as a... how do you say... "Last Chance U Whisperer" maybe? He would take the Texas HS DL guys who couldn't get into or hack the FBS schools and did very well getting them in a position to succeed. He wouldn't necessarily need to excel at that role in Austin.

I think I'm most familiar with his UTSA roles. He was the defensive run game coordinator in addition to his position coaching responsibilities. UTSA kind of came out of nowhere with very good D against the run and emphasized TFLs. I would say that he and Bo Davis are very aligned on the idea that you need to make everyone else's jobs easier by stopping the run. It's the main reason for our 2023 defensive success, and Rod wouldn't be in charge of what's grinding my gears lately (DB personnel and pass rush).

I think it didn't work out at Miami for him because Cristobal is a micromanager.

Everybody’s a candidate now. They’ve been turned down by Lanning and some say even Sark. They’re on third/fourth option. Too much pressure following Saban or just no desire to live in Tuscaloosa?

I kind of fear that with Ryans getting a lot of nods for pro CotY honors, Wright might be on more of an NFL fast track, but I don't have any special insight into his coaching style that anyone else would have.

At Sam St, he was known as a... how do you say... "Last Chance U Whisperer" maybe? He would take the Texas HS DL guys who couldn't get into or hack the FBS schools and did very well getting them in a position to succeed. He wouldn't necessarily need to excel at that role in Austin.

I think I'm most familiar with his UTSA roles. He was the defensive run game coordinator in addition to his position coaching responsibilities. UTSA kind of came out of nowhere with very good D against the run and emphasized TFLs. I would say that he and Bo Davis are very aligned on the idea that you need to make everyone else's jobs easier by stopping the run. It's the main reason for our 2023 defensive success, and Rod wouldn't be in charge of what's grinding my gears lately (DB personnel and pass rush).

I think it didn't work out at Miami for him because Cristobal is a micromanager.
Thank you

And you can add to that grind 3-4 more games to win a championship with the 12 team playoff.
Since the format gives the top 4 a 1st round bye, its really only 2 extra games to get to the championship. Either way, everyone knew it would come and as he stated, recruits and parents wanted commitements that he would be there for x number of years. He will go down as one of the greatest and why not enjoy whatever life he has left without any stress. Not a bad way to live.

I'm pulling for Casey. He was a class act here. He has a good arm, and with all his experience, OU might have just struck gold with him
Nope. Nothing personal against Casey, but like I said a few weeks ago, at a certain point a guy just has to bite the bullet, leave college and file for social security.

Pardon me for being crass and unkind if I dont GAF what Satan rides in or drives in, into the sunset....

As Curly Joe said in Tombstone:

"Well, bye"
Now I’m confused? Wasn’t Curly Bill in Tombstone and Curly Joe one of the Three Stooges?
Either way as you stated, “Well, Bye”

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Back