Random Season News

Sorrell is not a difference maker and really should be a backup but I guess he and Burke were the best we had last season. Hopefully Sorrell improves or someone else steps up because the production from that position has been deficient.
He did not have a single sack in the final five games of the year. None in five games. He only had 0.5 TFL in those five games. That’s not making a difference. His play has been backup level this season. I hope he improves.

upload_2024-1-7_16-21-28.png

Wait let me revise that to 8 wins cuz we got Sorrell, Majors, and Collins to come back. I remember Collins had a good game once in like the Alamo bowl about 3-4 yrs ago.
I read so many posts like this at the beginning of last season.
You were only going to win seven games.
To go seven and five.
Well we went 12 and two.
So go ahead and be at Debbie Downer but there's a lot of ball to play.
Got a whole spring summer and fall ahead of us before we even play a game.

I read so many posts like this at the beginning of last season.
You were only going to win seven games.
To go seven and five.
Well we went 12 and two.
So go ahead and be at Debbie Downer but there's a lot of ball to play.
Got a whole spring summer and fall ahead of us before we even play a game.
I thought we’d win more than 7 games this season because we had Worthy, JT, Mitchell, and JWhitt. There was clear reason for optimism. Now we don’t have them. And we don’t have equivalent replacements. So yeah I’m being realistic about next season.

RB Keilan Robinson posted on Instagram he's going to the NFL.
Happy for him but too bad for us next year. So explosive, he could really score on any play. I hope he signs somewhere. I was always surprised at how positive both he and JWhitt were with very limited touches.

I thought we’d win more than 7 games this season because we had Worthy, JT, Mitchell, and JWhitt. There was clear reason for optimism. Now we don’t have them. And we don’t have equivalent replacements. So yeah I’m being realistic about next season.
No, you're being pessimistic.

We will only know if your pessimism is realistic after next season plays out.

The talent leaving for the NFL combined with the much more difficult schedule next year is reason to tap the brakes on another 11-1 (12-2 after conference title and playoff game) type season being a given but I think Texas has the talent to go 9-3 or 10-2 next year and with some breaks be 11-1 or even 12-0 in the regular season. My guess right now would be 9-3 with outside shot at the playoff based on that record (and who the losses would likely be to) but lets talk in August after spring ball and any other portal/injury changes. Texas is well positioned for the next several years to be in the playoff hunt.

The talent leaving for the NFL combined with the much more difficult schedule next year is reason to tap the brakes on another 11-1 (12-2 after conference title and playoff game) type season being a given but I think Texas has the talent to go 9-3 or 10-2 next year and with some breaks be 11-1 or even 12-0 in the regular season. My guess right now would be 9-3 with outside shot at the playoff based on that record (and who the losses would likely be to) but lets talk in August after spring ball and any other portal/injury changes. Texas is well positioned for the next several years to be in the playoff hunt.
I’m more optimistic.

The OL should be the best we have seen since 2009, if not before.

In his 3rd year Ewers will probably be the best QB since Colt, in 2009. Most place him high in the Heisman race.

Strong RB room, and a stronger Baxter.

Tons or receiver talent, although unproven. But then again, Worthy was unproven in 2021, and we saw what he did. Plus, portal additions like Golden, and probably another to come.

TE - Yes, a drop off.

I think the D could be a wash. HUGE edge additions. Drop off at tackle. Portal may help here. We will know soon.

LB, perhaps a push with Hill coming on, and a talented but young group. Ford was injured for much of the 23 campaign.

Secondary? I believe it will be better with another year for Muhammad, Brooks and Williams. Then there’s Mukuba. Barron may come back. Taaffe. McDonald. Guilbeau. Plus massive talent enrolling this month.

A month ago, before recruiting closed and the portal opened, I was more skeptical. But looking at the embarrassment of riches that this team will have, it’s easy to understand why the prognosticators are picking us to be in the top five. That said, the schedule won’t be easy, particularly at Michigan early, and against Georgia. But a seasoned quarterback behind a strong offensive line and with a powerful run game can be lethal.

I’m more optimistic.

The OL should be the best we have seen since 2009, if not before.

In his 3rd year Ewers will probably be the best QB since Colt, in 2009. Most place him high in the Heisman race.

Strong RB room, and a stronger Baxter.

Tons or receiver talent, although unproven. But then again, Worthy was unproven in 2021, and we saw what he did. Plus, portal additions like Golden, and probably another to come.

TE - Yes, a drop off.

I think the D could be a wash. HUGE edge additions. Drop off at tackle. Portal may help here. We will know soon.

LB, perhaps a push with Hill coming on, and a talented but young group. Ford was injured for much of the 23 campaign.

Secondary? I believe it will be better with another year for Muhammad, Brooks and Williams. Then there’s Mukuba. Barron may come back. Taaffe. McDonald. Guilbeau. Plus massive talent enrolling this month.

A month ago, before recruiting closed and the portal opened, I was more skeptical. But looking at the embarrassment of riches that this team will have, it’s easy to understand why the prognosticators are picking us to be in the top five. That said, the schedule won’t be easy, particularly at Michigan early, and against Georgia. But a seasoned quarterback behind a strong offensive line and with a powerful run game can be lethal.
I agree - only Georgia will have more talent than Texas on paper.

Love your optimistic assessment Duke. I’m a bit more on the “we’re really going to miss those guys we’re losing” mode.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back