Random Season News

That gasoline price might be a touch high, but close. Through the '60's gas could be had in Texas for as little as $0.22 and sometimes even lower than that during the frequent "gas wars." Gas stations in close proximity to each other would play chicken with their prices. I got my license in 1967 at age 15 (yes, you could do that back then with driver training) and I remember paying $0.17 at a Shamrock station.
You smokers might find this interesting. The maddest I ever saw my father get was at a gas station. We had pulled in and I think the sign showed a price of I believe around 30 cents. The amount on the pump was a few cents higher and dad pointedly questioned the attendant as he was prone to do when it came to his pocket book. He was informed that the price on the sign was the price for cigarettes, not gasoline. My dad did not speak kindly to the man suffice it to say. So, for you who smoke, a pack of your cancer sticks used to cost equal to or less than a gallon gasoline. :yes:
I, too got my TDL in 1967, but @ age 14 (I turned 15 that summer). In 1970, Lubbock had a gas war ongoing. I found gasoline for $0.11, but didn't have any $ with me. Went back the next day with cash to fill up, but the war was over & gas cost a whopping $0.28. Like your dad, Rick, I was PISSED. That was the last gas war I ever saw & the cheapest I ever found gasoline...& I missed out.

I, too got my TDL in 1967, but @ age 14 (I turned 15 that summer). In 1970, Lubbock had a gas war ongoing. I found gasoline for $0.11, but didn't have any $ with me. Went back the next day with cash to fill up, but the war was over & gas cost a whopping $0.28. Like your dad, Rick, I was PISSED. That was the last gas war I ever saw & the cheapest I ever found gasoline...& I missed out.

When I was 15 and driving in 1961, as a farmer in Hereford, daddy had a membership at the Deaf Smith County Farmers Co-Op. Bulk gas was delivered to both farms but we could not use it for personal vehicles, only farm implements. As a participating CoOp member, I remember buying regular at $.15 and sometimes for $.12. Wasn't long til it had climed to unreasonable .25 and .29!!! I too, recall what dad was paying for Lucky Strikes!! UGH!

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-GEORGIA *
Sat, Oct 19 • 6:30 PM on ABC

Back