Random Season News

This list is flawed to say the least. Leaving Westbrook and M. Griffin out of the top ten is borderline criminal. Griffin is one of the most underrated players in longhorn history. Vasher was terrific but he doesn't belong ahead of Gray and Thomas.

Elliott benefited from the Cover-3 and quarters schemes we used to hide our flaws. He was a "right place right time" safety who got the occasional hit as well, which only puts him about a peg above guys like Blake Gideon and Dylan Haines in my book. Definitely not good enough for Top-10.

No Noble Doss is kind of criminal. The man still leads us in picks all time at a moment in football history when no one ever threw the damn ball. I guess he could sort of be considered a hybrid LB the way they lined up in the 30s, but come on.

Ross is inflated for his kick/punt return success and only had 1 great season at DB. Hatchett is kind of right there for me as well... was injured for arguably the best season we had during his eligibility and racked up good numbers as a senior.

For his leadership ability alone, Michael Griffin deserves somewhere from #5-#8.

That's tough for me to answer because I was either too young or dumb to know. I remember going to Texas/OU pre-football-consciousness, but those were never at DKR. My parents aren't alive and my brothers have no clue which ones we attended or didn't.

It was probably some random September nonconference game.

Tx v Bailor. No idea when but rainy and cold. One and only game where my Dad and brother came from Va to watch together. Dads long gone, brother’s still in Va and I can tell you we’d give it all to take him again (doesn’t matter that he would pull for Bailor - heck maybe someone’up there’ has made him see the light).

Most likely Texas vs Colorado State in 1975.

It could have been Tech or Utah State that season too. I was a 7th grader and a boy scout and they'd let us in free to act as ushers. I just can't remember if I did that for every game, or if I waited a while to give ushering a try.

North Texas, 1976.
I had seen the Horns @ Rice a couple times, but this was my first time at Memorial Stadium.
Earl had over 200 yards rushing, but the game was not a memorable one otherwise.
17-14 victory after trailing at halftime.

Aggy 1992. I had just ETS from the US Army a year earlier and went with my girlfriend Mrs Vol Horn who was a student. I was conflicted thinking I might like aggy because of the military connection. We lost that day and aggy quickly showed their complete lack of any semblance of class. I instantly knew I could never relate to that group.

Lots of talk about Bolden being able to run pretty much any route and also play the K. Robinson role on sweeps/reverses. I don't think I've ever been as excited about a WR room that lost 3 starters.

OL Depth

Waiting until next offseason to "worry" about the OL would be the appropriate thing for mental health reasons, but it's coming and with the eventual transition to the next QB, we're in for some 2025 issues.

Banks will be the first or second OL taken off the board in the draft, and arguably be the best former Longhorn OL in the league since... ever? I don't know. Conner and Majors will be free to play a year somewhere else, but I could see either/both getting drafted late as well. Technically, Majors could stay another year here after looking at his bio.

I think Campbell was still too raw last season to actually put his name in for the 2025 draft, so I look forward to him starting for us at RG next year as well.

Cam Williams seems to have the inside track to play RT for the most snaps this season. I don't know enough about him (or have enough tape) to determine if he'll stay there or maybe even move to LT for next season.

So we're probably replacing 3 guys, including an all-world talent and the one who keeps the timing (center).

Goals for 2024
- We've got 10 underclassmen scholarship OL on the roster right now. That's a ton, and while it's a nice problem to have, there's got to be a pretty clear separation for cross-training and how much time they get.

- Hutson is basically a starter in terms of how the injury made him lose his position. I think he should really consider C if Majors is moving on, otherwise, he should be the primary guy at either OG position.

- Audition a ton of guys at LT in the "easy" games. I want to say that Goosby and Chatman were the Spring roster ones playing when Banks wasn't, but Baker might be one of our best recruits.

- Robertson and Umeozulu are now like the "seasoned veterans" of the underclassmen. They should probably be getting about 20% of the snaps in the early season games.

These are the must see to this point.

1. Andrew Makuiba S
2. Jaylon Gilbeau. Nickel
3. Gavin Holmes CB
4. JaVion Cole CB
5. Ryan Wingo WR
6. John'tay Cook WR
7. Silas Bolden WR "He's got some serious gas"

And some weights.

The DTs
  • Alfred Collins – 320 pounds (+3)
  • Vernon Broughton – 305 pounds (+14)
  • Aaron Bryant – 305 pounds (+3)
  • Jaray Bledsoe – 291 pounds (+17)
Freshman Melvin Hills checked in at 305. He was 270 when we he signed with us.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back