Random Season News

Amazing that we were 3rd given that 70-80 % of our games were against teams near the bottom in viewership. Looks like 9 out of the bottom 20 or so.

Assuming that Big and SEC cut their own path, would the SEC still try to remain geographically close? It seems FSU and Clemson are likely but would the SEC make a run at which 6 schools? Could ND be one of them? Is there another Texas or Oklahoma school with a shot? If NC is added do you have to take Duke? What about Virginia or WV?

To me a grown up might think we should start over and start over with 4 divisions made from existing members of both conferences. OK sate greater than Rutgers

Dave,

If the SEC expands West, first picks will be Oklahoma State & Tech. Can't see them grabbing ND. The BigTen offer to UNC/UVA was really lucrative and UVA needed that money for facilities, BUT the Duke/UNC tie is so strong not even doubling plus TV revenue could break it.

Most on this board are too young to remember how big a game UGA/Clemson was. It was usually in September. The two schools are very close and old timers would like to renew that rivalry.

GT would jump at the chance, but bring nothing but academic standing

Dave,

If the SEC expands West, first picks will be Oklahoma State & Tech. Can't see them grabbing ND. The BigTen offer to UNC/UVA was really lucrative and UVA needed that money for facilities, BUT the Duke/UNC tie is so strong not even doubling plus TV revenue could break it.

Most on this board are too young to remember how big a game UGA/Clemson was. It was usually in September. The two schools are very close and old timers would like to renew that rivalry.

GT would jump at the chance, but bring nothing but academic standing

So I am curious, do you think Big and SEC will back fill to 24 teams each and call it a day, and cut their own path? If so, other than Clemson and I assume FSU, who would SEC take and who would Big take?

If the SEC & BigTen cut bait, it becomes all about the cash. WHAT DO YOU BRING TO THE TABLE?

Some "glamorous schools" really don't bring much. Our former AD was the first to point out to me that Nebraska really brought nothing to the table. They sellout at home, but that drops the TV audience since everybody in the state is at the game, and the fact that there were more TVs in West Harris County than the whole state of Nebraska. They are the prime example of what can happen. Colorado is another. UCLA can't draw flies and won't travel across LA to Pasadena much less to the BigTen.

IMO, the next big play will be against the wannabes. Why should Texas giveup and equal share to Arkansas or South Carolina? Why should Ohio State give up an equal share to Minnesota or Rutgers or Maryland? Let the big dawgs eat.

Money, following, prestige, a supportive administration, a top AD. Who has all four?

Not many desirables out there. Why would ND share? UNC/UVA are there, but what the UVA administration knows and understands about athletics would roll around a thimble like a BB rolls around the Super Dome.

Last edited:
If the SEC & BigTen cut bait, it becomes all about the cash. WHAT DO YOU BRING TO THE TABLE?

Some "glamorous schools" really don't bring much. Our former AD was the first to point out the me that Nebraska really brought nothing to the table. They sellout at home, but that drops the TV audience since everybody in the state is at the game, and the fact that there were more TVs in West Harris County than the whole state of Nebraska. They are the prime example of what can happen. Colorado is another. UCLA can't draw flies and won't travel across LA to Pasadena much less to the BigTen.

IMO, the next big play will be against the wannabes. Why should Texas giveup and equal share to Arkansas or South Carolina? Why should Ohio State give up an equal share to Minnesota or Rutgers or Mayland? Let the big dawgs eat.

Money, following, prestige, a supportive administration, a top AD. Who has all four?

Not many desirables out there, Why would ND share? UNC/UVA are there, but what the UVA administration knows and understands about athletics would roll around a thimble like a BB rolls around the Super Dome.

OK, but by that reasoning, you're just going to a superconference of 12 or so teams.

I won't deny that being one of the "haves" of college football has its perks, but I don't think this should become a failed experiment like the European Super League either. If the criteria just to show up is $millions in ad revenue and butts in the seats (both stadium and in front of TVs, which is an outdated vanishing model), then college football is losing some pretty special elements that make it palatable for everyone else.

A 12 team super conference would make things simplier. Everyone plays everyone. Top 4 play the semi's two remaining play for the championship.

aggy and the others play in basically the football equivalent of the NIT.

A 12 team super conference would make things simplier. Everyone plays everyone. Top 4 play the semi's two remaining play for the championship.

aggy and the others play in basically the football equivalent of the NIT.

At the cost of taking away everything that makes college football the best sport. You're not supposed to play a schedule of Bama, tOSU, UGA, OU, every single week. It's not the NFL.

I agree, I just pointed out a way to make the Championship simpler and take away the craziness of having the numnuts in Grapevine hotel.

As we've said, add in NIL and the legal ramifications are limitless. The first thought that came to my mind though was not only for the athletes, but what about those on Academic Scholarship? Will they have to pay taxes on the value of their scholarship? That will really change the dynamics.

Not buying that chart.
Same. I went back to check the schedules and I see at least 17 games from 2016 thru 2023 that would generated huge national interest and should get over 4 million viewers. Games such as ND, USC, OU, Georgia, LSU, Alabama, and Washington.

Nash,

I, for one, discount the chart because each game has two participants. A&M gets credit for Alabama being the big draw. Bottom feeders in the BigTen get credit for people watching the princes of polyester. I also discount the 11 AM kickoffs since half the country (geographically, not population) isn't ready that early.

Also, are those real viewers or a result Delany's "****** you again" TV numbers. Remember, Delany pulled off a contract based on the number of TVs in the area not viewers. He took Rutgers because the contract then gave him credit for ALL of NYC even though 75%+ of those people couldn't tell you the schools mascot is or where it is located. Same reason he took UMd to get credit for DC/Baltimore area TVs

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Back