OTHER GAMES

Tom H -- could make a decent OC at a mid-major level school. We're talking Tulsa, UL-Monroe, Fresno St, Rutgers, San Diego St, etc.

He's not leader-of-program material, but he has a decent offensive mind.

Like Charlie, not a natural head coach, but good at defensive position coaching and even DC.
I believe that was Red McCombs assessment of Charlie Strong when that dreadful announcement was made. Lou Holtz quickly came to Strong's defense.

Always wondered why that was - more time to prepare or bowl trip meant players got to spend more time away from him doing other things?
That’s good psychology. He spends more time with his game plans and the players get to relax from that *******.

The announcement naming Charlie Strong head coach. UT had the opportunity to jumpstart the program, but sadly it was taken to lows seemingly unimaginable which is still hard to believe.

How could someone so smart make such a stupid decision. Hiring a coach is always risky........but Charley Strong? Even I could have won 10+ games if I had Teddy Bridgewater at QB during that time period.
Don't forget Strong was coaching in an ultra tough conference with a bunch of teams that couldn't have made the Texas 5A or 6A Quarter Finals. Powers burned every bridge and friendship he had with the deal prior to hiring Strong. Some handle it better than others. I handled it with all the grace and class I could throwing one of my infamous temper tantrums face to face. As I told him then, "you have set this program back 20 years", but I never knew CDC was on his way.

Very insightful. Did Powers also hire Steve Patterson? I’ve got to believe the big money guys went into hibernation after those two program destroying decisions.

Yes, Billy Boy hired Patterson after he totally ****** up our #1 choice Deal was done, all he had to do was one thing and he botched that. That's when I told him to get his resume together because he would be fired before Jan 1. They let him stay until June 1

Indeed, Worster, (as I told Powers), he was a cancer MD Anderson couldn't fix.

I hadn't seen any news on this, perhaps I missed it.

The board may be interested to know Tom the Herman is now 0-2 on the season after being thoroughly spanked by Army last week. The Herminator goes for win #1 of 2024 when they play Florida International, another winless team.

Can Binder Boy break through?
There is no truth to the rumor that FIU has the champagne on ice already...

However, on the other sideline, The Binder is reported to be missing the instruction on how to bake a cake.

At the time, I felt like Tom Herman was a "prestige" hire for us. We *had* to show that, if there is a hot coach out there that we want and others do too, that we would get him because We Are Texas.

At the time, I felt like Tom Herman was a "prestige" hire for us. We *had* to show that, if there is a hot coach out there that we want and others do too, that we would get him because We Are Texas.
Me too, and that one really, really blew up in our faces.

Wile_E_Coyote_gets_blown_up_three_times.gif

This is text book example how one bad decision (hiring Smart) led to another bad decision (Texas felt compelled to hire the hot coach). Aggy personifies this. Glad we got a coach that QB’s love to play for. Get a steady stream of 5* star QB’s on campus, then watch the OL and WR follow. Then watch the Def guys follow. It’s how you get out of the doom spiral.

My reaction was confusion. I didn't dislike the Herman hire, but I couldn't figure out why he was so lusted over. He had a whopping 2 years as HC at Houston and had an 11-1 season. I just thought, "Well, if LSU wanted him that badly too then it can't be a bad hire". After he made enemies of the fans by saying "you wouldn't let your daughter date my players" I knew it was a disaster and was over.

This is text book example how one bad decision (hiring Smart) led to another bad decision (Texas felt compelled to hire the hot coach). Aggy personifies this. Glad we got a coach that QB’s love to play for. Get a steady stream of 5* star QB’s on campus, then watch the OL and WR follow. Then watch the Def guys follow. It’s how you get out of the doom spiral.
Thank you CdC!!!! The two prior hires are what happens when the leadership at the top don't have a clue (or are not an AD) and/or have different priorities than putting together a winning program. See Jerrah in Dallas.

"Other" Game your looking forward to the most this most this weekend: You only get (1).

I've ALWAYS loved the "Civil War" between Oregon vs Oregon St albeit usually late in the year in gloomy conditions when its dark at like 4pm.

This could be a sneaky good weekend for tight games!!!

"Other" Game your looking forward to the most this most this weekend: You only get (1).

I've ALWAYS loved the "Civil War" between Oregon vs Oregon St albeit usually late in the year in gloomy conditions when its dark at like 4pm.

This could be a sneaky good weekend for tight games!!!
and don't forget that Oregon State will finish no lower than second in the PAC-12 this season.

Texas St.

Getting old ....Coach GJ Kinne ... didn't know Traylor was his coach at Gilmer.

"Originally from Mesquite, Texas, Kinne was a highly-rated quarterback recruit out of high school who went on to be a three-year starter at Tulsa and then embarked on a five-year professional career in the NFL and CFL. In high school, Kinne played for Jeff Traylor, the current head coach at UTSA, at Gilmer High School (TX).

Pretty Cool!

Hoff,

That's only part of the story. Kinne was indeed Traylor's QB at Gilmer and his dad was Traylor's assistant. Kinne's dad took the HC job at Canton and took GJ with him. Some hard feelings about that. The father of an OL in Canton was unhappy that his kid wasn't getting enough playing time, and went to see Coach Kinne, BUT he took his two friends - a Mr Smith & Mr Wesson. He shot Coach Kinne, who survived but had a pretty lengthy recovery. In the interim, GJ went back to Gilmer.

GJ committed to Baylor and to Texas, then transferred to Tulsa when Montgomery went there. He's kinda the last of those HS coaches' kids that have done reasonably well in college - Harrell, Briles et al.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back