If you think California is bad, check out Mississippi

read the article I provided
Here's all it said about policies: "Mississippi’s momentum in education is the result of strong policies and dedicated, effective educators."

That doesn't say anything about what these "strong policies" are. If they sucked so bad at education for so many decades, and are now just below-average, what policies did they change? Your article doesn't say.

What part of this don’t you understand?

The former, based on formula several decades old, involves only a few basic factors and applies them to all states, regardless of their economic and sociological differences.

Economists consider the official rates to be misleading because of their simplistic factors, but they remain in the law because they are the basis for many federal and state programs.

"Mississippi is the poorest state in America in terms of poverty rates, with 18.1% of its population living below the line of poverty. Its capital, Jackson, is one of the poorest cities in the country where more than three in every ten residents live in poverty. Only 15.4% of the population aged 25 or above hold a bachelor’s degree."

"Mississippi is the poorest state in America in terms of poverty rates, with 18.1% of its population living below the line of poverty. Its capital, Jackson, is one of the poorest cities in the country where more than three in every ten residents live in poverty. Only 15.4% of the population aged 25 or above hold a bachelor’s degree."
What is your source? My source is Table B5 of the definitive report from the census bureau.

US News & World Report rankings of the States:

Mississippi:

Economy - #50
Health Care - #50
Business Environment - #50
Economic Opportunity - #50
Healthcare Access - #49
Growth - #48
Employment - #48
Health Care Quality - #48
Internet Access - #47

Yeah, they suck.

How do you know it’s the policies at fault? That’s your underlying assumption right?

Statistics be damned.

I would choose to live in Mississippi long before I would choose to live in Commiefornia.
Depends on where for me.

The Mid-Coast or the far North of California have always seemed attractive to me, as I've driven through and stayed for short periods of time. There's places around Paso Robles that even remind me of the Texas Hill Country. I even like the Peninsula/Silicon Valley, but you have to put up with a lot of douchebaggery.

If I was forced to live in Mississippi, I'd go for either some plot of land on the salt water bays near Biloxi and put up a house and a boat dock, or somewhere way out in the forest of South Mississippi within a couple of hours of New Orleans.

How do you know it’s the policies at fault? That’s your underlying assumption right?
The premise for this post comes from the multitude of posts and also non-Hornfans commentary that California really sucks now, and it got that way due to their policies. So don't enact policies like those of California.

But wait!

Mississippi sucks even more than California--a lot more by most objective criteria. Soooooooooooooooooo................
Shouldn't we seek to avoid Mississippi-like policies.
Goose and Gander.

The premise for this post comes from the multitude of posts and also non-Hornfans commentary that California really sucks now, and it got that way due to their policies. So don't enact policies like Californias.

But wait!

Mississippi sucks even more than California--a lot more by most objective criteria. Soooooooooooooooooo................
Goose and Gander.
Why don’t you look at the people who actually lived there and decide to leave? According to the stats, CA is 5x worse than MS.

Mississippi suffers in statistical comparisons primarily because it has no major urban area; it’s almost all rural. Louisiana has New Orleans, Georgia has Atlanta, Texas has major urban areas, Florida, Tennessee, North Carolina—even Alabama compared to Mississippi.
If you compared it to rural areas of other states, how different would it be?

Why don’t you look at net migration for CA vs MS?
Yeah, looks like people want to come to California, but relatively very few want to come to Mississippi.

There must be something relatively attractive about California when compared to Mississippi.

As far as people bailing out--yep California sucks.
Mississippi--maybe they don't even realize how bad they have it.

The premise for this post comes from the multitude of posts and also non-Hornfans commentary that California really sucks now, and it got that way due to their policies. So don't enact policies like those of California.

But wait!

Goose and Gander.
According to net migration stats, the posters on Horn Fans are correct in their assessment.

Yeah, looks like people want to come to California, but relatively very few want to come to Mississippi.

There must be something relatively attractive about California when compared to Mississippi.
Are you high? On a net basis people are LEAVING California.

IMG_9262.jpeg

Mississippi suffers in statistical comparisons primarily because it has no major urban area; it’s almost all rural. Louisiana has New Orleans, Georgia has Atlanta, Texas has major urban areas, Florida, Tennessee, North Carolina—even Alabama compared to Mississippi.
If you compared it to rural areas of other states, how different would it be?
Well, let's see. They do have Jackson, MS - a smallish city. Let's take an even smaller Texas city for comparison and see who is doing better.

How about Midland. Welp, there you have it. Texas smokes Mississippi out of the water.

Well, let's see. They do have Jackson, MS - a smallish city. Let's take an even smaller Texas city for comparison and see who is doing better.

How about Midland. Welp, there you have it. Texas smokes Mississippi out of the water.
You are aware that Texas will pass California in population circa 2040? I wonder why?

Enact the policies of California over the decades. Result, the #1 technology economy in the World, #1 media and entertainment in the World, and #1 agriculture in the US

Enact the policies of Mississippi over the decades.
Result, little opportunity, worst poverty and health care, agriculture is the major industry but is below around 1/2 the other states in agriculture.

Enact the policies of California over the decades. Result, the #1 technology economy in the World, #1 media and entertainment in the World, and #1 agriculture in the US

Result, little opportunity, worst poverty and health care, agriculture is the major industry but is below around 1/2 the other states in agriculture.
Mindset difference (Major factor):

California - and TEXAS: look to the future, care mostly about the future

Mississippi: looks to the past, cares mostly about the past.

Mindset difference (Major factor):

California - and TEXAS: look to the future, care mostly about the future

Mississippi: looks to the past, cares mostly about the past.
And this is a MAJOR problem with our new SEC pals (most of them anyway), and with us joining the SEC.

As Texans, yeah, we're Southerners, but we're more Westerners than Southerners.

All about the policies, then? Sure, go with that.

Bottom line is net migration. Everything else is bull ****. Also, Dems ran Mississippi for 100 years until recently.

I must have missed the gold rush in Mississippi

There's also the mindset/mentality - see a few posts down from there.
You could argue they have switched places in the last 10 years. SpaceX left CA for Texas, for example.

I can only assume you are referring to the period when GOP ran California and Dems ran MS. You are undermining your position without knowing it.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back