Coach PK & the mighty Texas D + the Return of DBU!!!!!!!!

:ut::uw:
Nice discussion on defending UW.

Lots of praise for Washington's OL and the job they do protecting the QB.

Per Barron--Look for fade routes and pick patterns to the post.

Per Chop--the game I saw UW play this year, their WRs played smart and found the openings in the (mostly zone) coverage. They appear to break off the called route frequently and just get open--an element of the old UH run-and-shoot in that. QB Pennix throws the ball accurately and gets it there. They do have good OL pass protection, and good chemistry between QB and WRs. I think we have a better pass rush than what UW's good OL is used to facing, so our good D-front pass rushing on UW's good OL may be the matchup of the game: good on good. If QB Pennix has plenty of time to throw and is "camping out in the pocket" it's going to be a long game...

Folks, this is an exceptional offense we will be taking on.

Fortunately, (i) our D-front should be up-to-the-job getting pressure on their QB, and (ii) UW's defense sucks.

Still not on the PK bus. He runs a defense that doesn’t give the offense more possessions. We don’t need a defense that runs the clock, we need a defense that gets the ball back.
Opponent time of possession:
OU 27:01 Probably Patterson game plan
Alabama 29:16 Probably Patterson game plan
Kansas 28:02
Iowa State 28:43
The above 4 games are the only games we won the time of possession.

West Va 32:10
K ST 32:33
Okla St 33:00
Baylor 33:24
La Monroe 35:26
TTech 35:54
UTSA 36:21
TCU 37:22

Way too many 3rd down and fourth down attempts made against this defense.
Two to three more offensive possessions wont happen with PK and two to three more offensive possessions changes the final scores of the above 8 games in a big way.

I will be at the Alamo Bowl tomorrow night and hope Patterson had a hand in the defensive preparation. I will try to not throw popcorn if the defense comes out in a three man line and dbs playing 7 yards off the relievers.

Still not on the PK bus. He runs a defense that doesn’t give the offense more possessions. We don’t need a defense that runs the clock, we need a defense that gets the ball back.

Why these random assignments?

PK takes our crummy recent-years' defensive non-tradition and turns us into one of the top defenses in the conference in only two years (and we're still in an upward trajectory).

Yet...........

.........some people now want to gripe about the time of possession stats...?!?!?!?!?

:idk::idk::idk::idk:

good-grief.gif

West Va 32:10
K ST 32:33
Okla St 33:00
Baylor 33:24
La Monroe 35:26
TTech 35:54
UTSA 36:21
TCU 37:22

Way too many 3rd down and fourth down attempts made against this defense.
Two to three more offensive possessions wont happen with PK and two to three more offensive possessions changes the final scores of the above 8 games in a big way.

I will be at the Alamo Bowl tomorrow night and hope Patterson had a hand in the defensive preparation. I will try to not throw popcorn if the defense comes out in a three man line and dbs playing 7 yards off the relievers.

You have my respect and thanks for hitting up the Alamo Bowl.

TCU and OSU were a result of poor offensive possessions.

The last 3 games the D did the job.

OSU Down & distance Result
3rd and 9. 1st down
3rd and 2. 1st down
3rd and 2. 1st down
3rd and 8. 1st down
3rd and 1. 1st down
3rd and 6. 1st down
OSU time of possession 33:00

TCU Down & distance result
3rd and 16. 1st down
3rd and 4. 1st down
3rd and 6. 1st down
3rd and 10. 1st down
4th and 3. 1st down
3rd and 10. TD
3rd and 4 1st down
3rd and 2. 1st down
TCU time of possession 37:22

That’s too many extra possessions. Cut them in half and we would have had a chance to win both games.

OSU Down & distance Result
3rd and 9. 1st down
3rd and 2. 1st down
3rd and 2. 1st down
3rd and 8. 1st down
3rd and 1. 1st down
3rd and 6. 1st down
OSU time of possession 33:00

TCU Down & distance result
3rd and 16. 1st down
3rd and 4. 1st down
3rd and 6. 1st down
3rd and 10. 1st down
4th and 3. 1st down
3rd and 10. TD
3rd and 4 1st down
3rd and 2. 1st down
TCU time of possession 37:22

That’s too many extra possessions. Cut them in half and we would have had a chance to win both games.
Well sure. OSU had 18 possessions. We were 3-17 on 3rd. If we get 3 more conversions (which is still poor), that’s 9 more plays with the prospect of more plays, more points.

Against TCU, we were 1-13 on 3rd down.

Yes, the D could have been better, but if you can’t convert, you won’t possess it long.

Well, we didn’t gain many Coach PK fan club members after the Alamo Bowl, but we didn’t lose any either. Not a great performance, but not bad. Pretty decent—against the Washington Huskies, one of the very top offenses in the nation.

The D has noticeably improved this year, and looks to be even better next year. Another year in the system. The secondary should be salty as the Ocean. We might even start being called “DB U” again. DL loses a few big guys in the interior, but returns Murphy, Collins, Broughton, Sorrell, Finley, Burke, and more. Replacing Overshown is the big missing piece of the puzzle, but we did ok without him against arguably the top O in the country.

DL loses a few big guys in the interior, but returns Murphy, Collins, Broughton, Sorrell, Finley, Burke, and more. Replacing Overshown is the big missing piece of the puzzle, but we did ok without him against arguably the top O in the country.
I think Sweatt returns for a 5th year.

Until we get to the point where we have two-deep impact players, bowl games are going to look like that. It just felt off all game, like we were watching next year's team play a non-conference scrimmage or something. Sadly at least one player (who I will not name) seemed to have that level of focus...

Defense did ok. Not great, but ok, against what may be the nation’s best offense. I think they usually score in the 40s.

Offense needs a lot of work. Up front. At QB. At WR.

Last edited:
Defense did ok. Not great, but ok, against what may be the nation’s best offense. I think they usually score in the mid or high 40s.

Offense needs a lot of work. Up front. At QB. At WR.

#4 offense scoring 40.8 per game. We held them two touchdowns below their average. people might not like the "bend, don't break style," but the end result was above average.

#4 offense scoring 40.8 per game. We held them two touchdowns below their average. people might not like the "bend, don't break style," but the end result was above average.
Exactly.

We currently have a good, but not yet dominant, defense.
Now compare that to Longhorn Ds of the past 10-15 years or so.

For next year, I think our secondary will be the strength of the team, although our pass rush might be as well. We’ll see if Finkly or Burke or someone can step up at the opposite DE slot from Sorrell.

That would be excellent if he does. I’m not sure he’s impressed enough NFL scouts to go in the high rounds just yet.
I think that's applicable to both Sweatt and Whittington. I'm not sure either would be drafted, but agents will tell them what they want to hear. I guess we'll find out soon.

Convergence on the ball has improved. Still an occasional brain fart in the pass defense, but a long way from the previous two secondaries.

Reports are that Sweatt will be back. That gives us a solid 2+ deep rotation at interior DT.

Murphy -- Sweatt

Collins -- Broughton

then:

Bryant (big strong dude from Mississippi who moves well)
Bledsoe (real quick)
Ross (real quick)
Mitchell (incoming HUGE giant from New Jersey; bench press: a Volkswagen, squat: a Mack truck)

:bevo::bevo::bevo::bevo:

:ut: = DB-U

Jamison and Cook are the only 2 out of the 10 man 2-deep that we lose to graduation.

Here's who we have for next year, with next year's class indicated:
(3 returning starters, in bold)

Ryan Watts - Sr - he's really good
Kitan Crawford - Sr - has flashed some good man-on-man skills; real fast and tackles well
Jahdae Barron - Sr - he's good
Jerrin Thompson - Sr - BAMF, wish there was no "targeting" rule with him on the field
Michael Taaffe - Jr - provided needed depth in a time of need; capable role player
Jaylon Guilbeau - So - he's good
Ishmael Ibraheem - So. - future star
Larry Turner-Gooden - So - has already stepped up and played well
Terrance Brooks - So - he's good
Morice Blackwell - So - cracked the 2-deep
Austin Jordan - RS Fr or So - cracked the 2-deep
BJ Allen - RS Fr - ?

So that's 3 (maybe 4) out of 5 likely starters are Seniors, with the bulk of the 2 deep being filled out by talented and experienced Sophomores. We're building the sort of pipeline that can make and keep us as DB-U.

Incoming True Freshman DBs here at DB-U:

Derek Williams - New Iberia, LA 6'1" 183 lbs - #3 safety in the nation
Malik Muhammed - Dallas, TX 6'0" 170 lbs - #5 cornerback in the nation

2022 Football Roster - University of Texas Athletics
2023 Texas Longhorns Football Depth Chart | Ourlads.com
Derek Williams, 2023 Safety - Rivals.com

Last edited:
Need more good proven college LBs (there's an open portal...)

Do NOT need to pin all our hopes on 1 incoming high school LB--however talented he might be.

:ut: = DB-U

Jamison and Cook are the only 2 out of the 10 man 2-deep that we lose to graduation.

Here's who we have for next year, with next year's class indicated:
(3 returning starters, in bold)

Ryan Watts - Sr - he's really good
Kitan Crawford - Sr - has flashed some good man-on-man skills; real fast and tackles well
Jahdae Barron - Sr - he's good
Jerrin Thompson - Sr - BAMF, wish there was no "targeting" rule with him on the field
Michael Taaffe - Jr - provided needed depth in a time of need; capable role player
Jaylon Guilbeau - So - he's good
Ishmael Ibraheem - So. - future star
Larry Turner-Gooden - So - has already stepped up and played well
Terrance Brooks - So - he's good
Morice Blackwell - So - cracked the 2-deep
Austin Jordan - RS Fr or So - cracked the 2-deep
BJ Allen - RS Fr - ?

So that's 3 (maybe 4) out of 5 likely starters are Seniors, with the bulk of the 2 deep being filled out by talented and experienced Sophomores. We're building the sort of pipeline that can make and keep us as DB-U.

Incoming True Freshman DBs here at DB-U:

Derek Williams - New Iberia, LA 6'1" 183 lbs - #3 safety in the nation
Malik Muhammed - Dallas, TX 6'0" 170 lbs - #5 cornerback in the nation

2022 Football Roster - University of Texas Athletics
2023 Texas Longhorns Football Depth Chart | Ourlads.com
Derek Williams, 2023 Safety - Rivals.com
You are missing Xavion Brice.

Talent + experience + depth = easily the best D-backfield in the conference. More time in the system = less blown coverages and stupid plays.

Top 10 DB in the nation next year. Could be top 5 if these Sophomores keep getting better.

PK had his D playing quite well by the 2nd half of the season. Elite at times. I believe that the upward trend will continue this year. With Gavin Holmes being added in the secondary, that only leaves a young group at LB. I wouldn’t be surprised if we added a seasoned veteran from the portal in the spring. Even if we don’t, given the incoming talent and numbers, I fully expect for at least one of the players to step up.

For me it’s hard not to be excited about the 23 D.

That’s potentially a great DB group with some decent depth. It’ll be interesting to see if someone converts to S a la Cook and what happens with Crawford.

I thought Blackwell was currently at LB.

that only leaves a young group at LB. I wouldn’t be surprised if we added a seasoned veteran from the portal in the spring.
Yep. We definitely need 1-2 portal LBs. Good players with college experience.

Ford is excellent.
Gbenda is ok, maybe he'll come alive as a Sr.
Derrick Brown was a True Freshman and is 202 lbs

The incoming true Freshmen LBs look like a REALLY GOOD LB CLASS, but they're still just true Freshman. I'm specially interested in Anthony Hill, and Lefau* out of Kahuku, Hawaii (I've been banging the drum for years for us to cherry pick a top player or two from Hawaii each year; we've finally got one so let's see how he does). Hill may even make a splash as a Freshman, someone will have to.

*Lefau won the Hawaii state player of the year award.

Right now, our quality LB depth is thinner than a high fashion model on a Tokyo runway...

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back