Coach PK & the mighty Texas D + the Return of DBU!!!!!!!!

I kinda' liked being on this bus when it was almost empty, but at least all the new passengers also wear Burnt Orange.

Last edited:
I kinda' liked being on this bus when it was almost empty, but at least all the new passengers also wear Bornt Orange.
Don't sweat it.

The day our Defense gives up 30+ points in a game, many will be calling for PK's head again, and we may be the only two in an empty room--eating all the pretzels and drinking all the beer.

:beertoast:

Just feel like bringing this back to the top...

Last 3 games the defense gave up 16 points per game. (two 17s and a 14). One of which was against the #4 scoring offense in the country.

Just feel like bringing this back to the top...

Last 3 games the defense gave up 16 points per game. (two 17s and a 14). One of which was against the #4 scoring offense in the country.
No doubt a complete turnaround, but I still think it took too long. And how will he do next year after losing a number of key players?

2022 Texas Longhorns Football Depth Chart | Ourlads.com

2 Deep with NEXT YEAR's CLASS indicated

Barring key injuries, LB depth is the only glaring issue. Also, how good will Gbenda be as a (potential) starter? Portal some upperclassman or grad LBs in. Starting secondary looks pretty good. 3 DTs look real good. We'll see if Bryant, or someone else, steps up to claim that 4th DT spot with authority. DEs look outstanding on one side (Sorrell), and adequate on the other side. Ford has arrived. But what about the other LBs. Like I said--portal some LB talent.

DT Murphy JR; Broughton JR
DT Collins SR; ??? probably Bryant RS FR
DE/EDGE Sorrell JR, Finkley So
DE/EDGE Dorbah JR, Burke So or RS FR
LB Ford SR, ???
LB Gbenda JR, ???

CB Watts SR, Johnson JR
CB Brooks So, Jordon So
SS Thompson JR, Taafefe So
FS Crawford SR, Coffey JR
DB Barron SR, Blackwell JR

But what about the other LBs. Like I said--portal some LB talent.
It's 'bout time for the coaching staff to make the (portal) offer to LB -- K'Von "Showtime" Sherman -- he committed to New Mexico but ended up at Hutchinson Community College (grades???). Dude flashed great on HS film (although he did take occasional plays off), and has the speed and ball-hawking instincts. He got a coveted invite to the recruiting pool party. Sherman flew under the radar of the recruiting services because he was way underweight until his Senior year in high school. I don't think he'd take any plays off wearing the Burnt Orange and White.

Unless there's some sort of special rules for Community College students, all Showtime Sherman needs to do is enter the portal--I bet we'd offer him now. Grade worries aren't what they used to be on the 40 acres.

https://twitter.com/showtimesherm

FKcYqtpXoAASVqw

Best defense since 2009

It's much improved but I'm not sure about that yet. 2013 after Robinson came in for Diaz was pretty good. In both 2014 and 2017 we had a pretty good defense let down by lousy offensive play.

Is that populating the ball?
Or do you need more defense there?
In the second half of the Baylor game, the defense really stepped up - every time a Baylor player was tackled, it looked like there were about thirty Burnt Orange jerseys in on the tackle.

It's much improved but I'm not sure about that yet. 2013 after Robinson came in for Diaz was pretty good. In both 2014 and 2017 we had a pretty good defense let down by lousy offensive play.
And stats guy, can you tell me what other similarities there were between 2014 and 2017?

Did PK learn on the job from last year? Or from Patterson? The Defense is for sure better this year, but a lot of people think CDC provided the band aid via Patterson.
It sucks for PK to not get full credit, but it sucked for me last year watching PK’s defense.

insert dancing figurine playing a banjo.

Did PK learn on the job from last year? Or from Patterson? The Defense is for sure better this year, but a lot of people think CDC provided the band aid via Patterson.
It sucks for PK to not get full credit, but it sucked for me last year watching PK’s defense.

insert dancing figurine playing a banjo.
Good question that I doubt is ever answered.

Kwiatkowski has a long track record of coaching D. His results mostly range from pretty good up to excellent. He’s a legitimate top 10 DC in the college game now. And it’s tough to defend Big 12 offenses. It was also tough to defend PAC 10 offenses.

:ut::ut::ut::ut:

Lots of experienced players on the defensive side both those years.

Yep and Year 1 of the coaching regime.

With PK, it may be better that year 2 had more experience than year 1. I will say we had a decent amount of experience last year though. For PKs year 3, we shouldn’t be relying on true frosh for much so we won’t see the experience drop off we had from the previous two regimes.

Yep.

We'll lose some good players, but we return most of our starters and lots and lots of our 2 deep. If we can get 1 DE and a couple of LBs through the portal, our D talent level next year should exceed this year's bunch.

Gotta have at least one quality LB come through the portal though. Quality LB depth for next year looks pretty thin right about now. And portaling in a DE and a few DBs wouldn't hurt...

I’m generally a homegrown guy. Gbenda didn’t Portal right? That may be an indicator. He’s a ball of thunder with two years in the system. What is Blackwell? Hell if I know, but his last two games he’s contributed in ways he hasn’t before. That could be 3 right there. Get you a true frosh to kick in as a backup. I’m sure we’re looking Portal but don’t give up on what we do have. Unfortunately, fans like flash from their LBs. That’s not what we need. We need them to do their jobs. Play their role and finish.

In my opinion, there is a significant Portal risk to depth of your roster. It might push your depth and future starters to look elsewhere if you choose indiscriminately.

Crazy idea of the day:

Move Brooks to LB or play him both ways (RB and LB).

Frankly, I'd rather him play both ways, and he could only take around 1/2 of the snaps on offense at RB (assuming Bijan is gone).

Yes, he can do it. Football players can play both ways.

He was even better on D than on O in high school; and he was really good on O.

We are now thin in quality LB depth.

:ut::bevo::bevo::bevo:

Barring key injuries, LB depth is the only glaring issue. Also, how good will Gbenda be as a (potential) starter? Portal some upperclassman or grad LBs in. Starting secondary looks pretty good. 3 DTs look real good. We'll see if Bryant, or someone else, steps up to claim that 4th DT spot with authority. DEs look outstanding on one side (Sorrell), and adequate on the other side. Ford has arrived. But what about the other LBs. Like I said--portal some LB talent.

DT Murphy JR; Broughton JR
DT Collins SR; ??? probably Bryant RS FR
DE/EDGE Sorrell JR, Finkley So
DE/EDGE Dorbah JR, Burke So or RS FR
LB Ford SR, ???
LB Gbenda JR, ???

CB Watts SR, Johnson JR
CB Brooks So, Jordon So
SS Thompson JR, Taafefe So
FS Crawford SR, Coffey JR
DB Barron SR, Blackwell JR

I hope Anthony Hill comes prepared. He got to see what high performing LBs can do!

Overshown has really improved and arrived under the tutelage of Coach P.K.

Unfortunately, Overshown has opted out of playing in the Alamo Bowl.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back