Coach PK & the mighty Texas D + the Return of DBU!!!!!!!!

The defense has been good but we have faced three backup QBs in a row. The OU game will let us know where we're at for sure.
One game we played against their QB1 and made him look so bad that they played both backups the next week just to confirm he was their best option.

The defense looked good and in the fourth quarter they were still playing lights out.
PK recruited for quality depth up front. And he developed them, such as 3 star recruit Sweat—who will go in the first round or two. Few teams can approach the talent of our D front.

For the future, keep an eye on big 3 star interior DT recruit January. He’s a Longhorn legacy who is way too quick for a 6’5” 320 pounder. Top notch college S&C training will turn him into a beast. Reminds me of Sweat.

The defense has been good but we have faced three backup QBs in a row. The OU game will let us know where we're at for sure.

Exactly, reserving judgement until we see a team that hasn't become one dimensional on offense. Bama, Baylor and Kansas just had no firepower.

I have a few bottles of Nikka. That’s the one where the Japanese guy went to live in the Scottish Highlands to learn the craft. Then he found the location in Northern Japan that had almost precisely the same weather, temp, humidity, rainfall, etc of Speyside Scotland, and grew his grain and distilled his whiskey Speyside style. And being traditional Japanese, he was rather meticulous. Now it’s a decent sized company. He did well. Their products are high quality. On par with the high end Scotches.
Watched the glorious Horns win over KU yesterday and gifted it to my old UT buddy who turns 50 this coming week. Nice weekend! :bevo:

PK recruited for quality depth up front. And he developed them, such as 3 star recruit Sweat—who will go in the first round or two. Few teams can approach the talent of our D front.

For the future, keep an eye on big 3 star interior DT recruit January. He’s a Longhorn legacy who is way too quick for a 6’5” 320 pounder. Top notch college S&C training will turn him into a beast. Reminds me of Sweat.
well we lose the heart and soul on the dline after this season with Sweat and Murphy gone...... much to my chagrin.
Hope someone comes to the forefront.

I know we've seen backup QBs the past couple of games but pete has turned me into a convert. His first 2 yrs here every other game he was totally outcoached imo, and it cost us wins. This year that doesn't seem to be the case. Haven't seen the meltdowns of years past

Quality depth helped the situation but I like what I've seen so far in game planning

Gotta admit I finally cleaned out all the crow from my freezer, and actually have some pretty good recipes if anyone still needs one.
Team PK now.

2024 Interior DTs with next year's class ("2-Techniques")

Returnees:
Murphy Sr. (could go pro after this year)
Broughton Sr. (coming into his own this year)
Bryant So. (?; has the requisite physical attributes)
Bledsoe So. (quick and disruptive)
Ross So. (quick and disruptive)
Swanson So. (quick; former big DE; tweener)
Sydir Mitchell So. or RS Fr. (a very large guy; quite athletic for his size; hurdled a player; man-child type; a New Jersey guy)

Incoming Recruits:
D'Antre Robinson (big, strong, athletic, quick; 4 stars from Florida; heavily pursued)
Alex January (very big and tall, way too quick for his size, a Longhorn legacy)
Melvin Hills (277 lb DE; probably a DT next year; Louisiana guy; athletic)

I could see all 3 of our incoming DT recruits getting playing time next year, maybe quite a bit for some of them. Sydir Mitchell may become the next all-everything interior DT. He had an injury in Fall camp, but nothing career-threatening.

:bevo::bevo::bevo::bevo:

Last edited:
good to know.
But he will probably turn pro anyway. let's hope not

Holding on to Sweat would be nice for the short term, but it runs counter to our long-term goal of being a "reload" type of program. I'd like to see us consistently lose top players to the draft, as early as possible. Recruits need to see Texas as a place where playing time is always available for the next-in-line young stud looking to take a fast-track to the NFL.

Holding on to Sweat would be nice for the short term, but it runs counter to our long-term goal of being a "reload" type of program. I'd like to see us consistently lose top players to the draft, as early as possible. Recruits need to see Texas as a place where playing time is always available for the next-in-line young stud looking to take a fast-track to the NFL.
that's a good point but it wouldn't bother me at all if Murphy stayed another season. I just cant get past all the disruptions he causes.

I don't think playing time is going to be an issue. We have rotatee in numerous players on the line throughout the games and it has paid dividends in the fourth quarter. Recruits will see this and know that if they can play, they will get plenty of opportunities.

On another point, the d-line, especially the ends have to be aware that Gabriel is left- handed and just about everything will be opposite about how he scrambles.

we are giving up an outrageous 12.3 points through the first 5 games and this pisses me off! When are we going to get a decent defensive coordinator.:smokin:

It's weird to think with my 15 or so years of PTSD that this Longhorn team is literally WINNING in the 4th quarter and not by a little bit. To me, that's depth and coaching and that has been lacking on both sides of the ball for a LONG time. We'll see what happens this weekend, but all that depth at the line is difficult to beat.

2024 Interior DTs with next year's class ("2-Techniques")

Returnees:
Murphy Sr. (could go pro after this year)
Broughton Sr. (coming into his own this year)
Bryant So. (?; has the requisite physical attributes)
Bledsoe So. (quick and disruptive)
Ross So. (quick and disruptive)
Swanson So. (quick; former big DE; tweener)
Sydir Mitchell So. or RS Fr. (a very large guy; quite athletic for his size; hurdled a player; man-child type; a New Jersey guy)

Incoming Recruits:
D'Antre Robinson (big, strong, athletic, quick; 4 stars from Florida; heavily pursued)
Alex January (very big and tall, way too quick for his size, a Longhorn legacy)
Melvin Hills (277 lb DE; probably a DT next year; Louisiana guy; athletic)

I could see all 3 of our incoming DT recruits getting playing time next year, maybe quite a bit for some of them. Sydir Mitchell may become the next all-everything interior DT. He had an injury in Fall camp, but nothing career-threatening.

:bevo::bevo::bevo::bevo:
Also Colin Simons could be listed (maybe with an * since he's not a DT) as an incoming recruit with the three guys above? Although not a Def. tackle, he will cause plenty of disruption up front.

Kwiatkowski regressed to the mean. The offense was bad but the game was there and the defense literally pissed down their leg. Sark and PK are going to go down together.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back