Bryan Regional - we’re done. Cajuns roast Bouef.

Game..........Starting Pitcher

U. La. ..........Ace Whitehead
aTm 1..........Hurley
aTm 2..........Tumis

Game..........Starting Pitcher

U. La. ..........Ace Whitehead
aTm 1..........Hurley
aTm 2..........Tumis
Ace is the most reliable, and has the "stuff" to beat U. La. (but maybe not the "stuff" to give us the best chances against aTm). His hurt/injury may keep him from going 80-90-100 pitches, but he's probably the pitcher we trot out there early today.

Hurley has better "stuff" and can take on aTm's batting lineup. He's not as reliable as Ace, and has his bad games (and sometimes some REALLY bad innings).

Tumis has the best "stuff" on our team, but is a true Freshman, and is inconsistent. If Tumis is on, he can mow them down. But the next inning, he may walk 2 then surrender a 2 run homer. Gotta roll the dice with the pitcher with the good stuff against these aTm bats. What else can you do.

Relievers:

Tumis (if we're not saving him for a game vs aTm)

Hudson Hamilton (great "stuff", top 25% MLB spin rates on his breaking stuff, must have the discipline not to leave the ball hanging up high in the strike zone--that's where he's been killed this year).

Lummus -- he didn't throw that many pitches; he's still got 4 or more innings in him

Dre - 1-2 innings

O'Hara - he didn't throw that many pitches vs ULa. He's got 4-5 innings in him.

Shaw - keep him to 1-2 innings at a time--is he on the suit-up travel squad for the Regionals?

Tole - an ideal long reliever if we jump out to a big lead over U. La. His sauce is pretty weak for this aTm batting lineup though. He's been hit hard by the better lineups he's faced this year.

Selvig - he's been bashed pretty hard; he's a next-year guy with some potential. We'd rather not trot him out there this weekend.

Howard - well..............................he looked ok in Fall Ball......................

Zaharias or Bertsch - not sure if they're on the travel squad. haven't seen them all year.

Had to watch this one on-demand long after it ended.

Well, our pitching really came through.

Errors cost us the game, and they were made by some of our best fielders: Flores and Powell. Gotta dance with the one(s) that brought you. Bad timing on our SS and 3B though.

I figure we'll beat U. La. today. The next 2 games against aTm will obviously be tough, due to our pitching depth. Our quality pitching depth this year has been like the wading pool, not like the deep end.
Totally agree.
One thing for sure, it must be difficult to concentrate while aggy is constantly blowing…
Those bubbles have to go!!

Totally agree.
One thing for sure, it must be difficult to concentrate while aggy is constantly blowing…
Those bubbles have to go!!
IDK...aggys' house, aggys' rules. I'm not too crazy about the bubbles either, but let the children have some amusements.

Kinda disagree about this game, imo errors did of course give them the runs but our offense (or lack there of) was why we did not win. Bats were absent, should have won it in the 9th or 10th, heck any inning would have won it. Pitchers did everything we needed to win - batters were asleep.
The fact that it happened against the aggies only makes it worse.

Kinda disagree about this game, imo errors did of course give them the runs but our offense (or lack there of) was why we did not win. Bats were absent, should have won it in the 9th or 10th, heck any inning would have won it. Pitchers did everything we needed to win - batters were asleep.
Why did Flores swing at first pitch with a man on 3rd in the 10th inning? Stupid baseball.

The bats were absent because we were facing two exceptional pitchers— their starter and their reliever. They’re two of the best in the college game this year.

Outside of Ace, I have no faith in the remaining pitching staff to deliver. We've already gone through the bulk of our reliable arms. I'm worried that once Ace leaves the game today, runs will come at will for Louisiana and it will be a slug fest to the finish.

Remember, they "saved" their good arms which means we'll be facing one of their best today so our bats might be silent for a long time today. My confidence is low that we make it past La.

Outside of Ace, I have no faith in the remaining pitching staff to deliver. We've already gone through the bulk of our reliable arms. I'm worried that once Ace leaves the game today, runs will come at will for Louisiana and it will be a slug fest to the finish.

Remember, they "saved" their good arms which means we'll be facing one of their best today so our bats might be silent for a long time today. My confidence is low that we make it past La.
It is time for the bats to cover for the pitchers.Score runs with aggressive play at the plate. Don’t try to count balls and stikes. Find a pitch you can hit and put the ball in play. This is the last dance and your girlfriend might look pretty ugly when the lights come..

Time for some hit and run baseball.

Offense could have done more, Borba beats Brown in every category but good ol' Pierce chose Brown instead. :idk:

Player A outperforms player B for an entire season at the plate but player B gets the position and opportunity in the post season instead. Fielding was a wash, there were a couple of times Brown clearly erred but wasn't given an error.

Does that sound merit based to anyone? Answer is no.

Schuessler was done the same way.

Had he inserted Schuessler earlier in the season when it was clear he deserved it, maybe we are hosting instead??? Who knows, too many decisions like this handicapping the team.
:deadhorse:

:soapbox:

We shot out wad last night. Can't see this team picking themselves up from that emotional drainer. We'll lose to RaginCajuns pack up our ****, head home and start the coaching search.

I've been a fearless defender of Pierce as I have been with lame duck coaches in other sports like Shaka and Herman but his ship has sailed.

I seriously doubt Pierce gets fired this year. Everyone that supports him keeps pointing to the three illustrious visits to Omaha where he's only won 3 games in 3 visits. Keep in mind, two of the three trips to Omaha I could argue we had too easy a path, then got exposed when we got there as evidenced by the 2 and que in those two easy trips.

We have almost zero in the cupboard, Grubbs is it, i mean that's it. Ace is a reliever, not a starter. There isn't an incoming freshman or pitcher on this staff that's going to suddenly develop into us winning in the SEC next year. Pierce has shown the inability to grab true starters in the portal. We need way too much help to truly believe we are going to compete next year. That will be year 9 for Pierce with only 3 total visits to Omaha and only 3 wins.

you guys that support Pierce, is it year 10 you are looking for? Is that the BIG year???

Year 10 huh......yikes

Ground out to Flores, end of the top half of the 1st. No runs.

I bet Flores feels bad about last night. You know he knows he cost the team the game and the season.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back