Black Lives Matter; The Cerebral Warlords of Our Time

I remember when I was at tech training in the usaf, one guy asked me what my heritage was. "Texan" I replied. He said No, where did your parents, grandparents come from before arrival in America?".

"Baylor hospital, slick. That's where it all began for me, all I'm interested in". He was unfulfilled by my answers. Pity

Much of my life, I didn't care much. The big change came when I found out my grandmother hid her heritage - even lied about her maiden name (which was Cosentino) and never spoke Italian even though she obviously could. (She did speak with a very thick NY accent, which my mother doesn't have.) In fact, my mom never met the thug and only met her grandmother once. All of that sparked a lot of curiosity. Who the hell were these people? My sister did a lot of online research and eventually found my grandmother's brother's family and reached out to them. They cleared up a lot of our questions.

The Welsh side sparked more interest once we moved here. When I found out I could go drink beer in the same pub my direct ancestors from the 1600s drank beer, I had to do that. I also found out that one of my ancestors from the 12th century was buried in this cool cathedral in St. Davids, Wales, I had to vist. It was just too cool not to do those things.

upload_2024-1-25_11-12-11.jpeg

I remember when I was at tech training in the usaf, one guy asked me what my heritage was. "Texan" I replied. He said No, where did your parents, grandparents come from before arrival in America?".

"Baylor hospital, slick. That's where it all began for me, all I'm interested in". He was unfulfilled by my answers. Pity

You should have entertained him - "Oh that HERITAGE. Why that's the Garden of Eden."

Much of my life, I didn't care much. The big change came when I found out my grandmother hid her heritage - even lied about her maiden name (which was Cosentino) and never spoke Italian even though she obviously could. (She did speak with a very thick NY accent, which my mother doesn't have.) In fact, my mom never met the thug and only met her grandmother once. All of that sparked a lot of curiosity. Who the hell were these people? My sister did a lot of online research and eventually found my grandmother's brother's family and reached out to them. They cleared up a lot of our questions.

The Welsh side sparked more interest once we moved here. When I found out I could go drink beer in the same pub my direct ancestors from the 1600s drank beer, I had to do that. I also found out that one of my ancestors from the 12th century was buried in this cool cathedral in St. Davids, Wales, I had to vist. It was just too cool not to do those things.

View attachment 9292

That is so cool. That is my dream actually. I know where one of my ancestors lived in Ireland. I want to go there sometime before I die.

That is so cool. That is my dream actually. I know where one of my ancestors lived in Ireland. I want to go there sometime before I die.

Do it. It may be from centuries ago and may not seem relevant to others today, but it's just flat out cool for personal reasons. They're your family. Walk in their footsteps and see what they saw and left behind. And respect what they did. For you it's a relatively safe and easy Transatlantic flight. For them, it was like going to Mars.

My heritage is primarily Irish on both sides, and I knew some facts from my dad's side as they always talked about it and kept good records, but not so much on my mom's side. I always grew up proud of where I came from, and to this day fly the Ireland flag and have countless other references throughout the house.

As we were planning our first trip to Ireland back in 2011 I decided to research a little and signed up on Ancestry. I sat down after dinner and started digging, clicking on leaves I knew were accurate (those are potential links for those not on the site), and only stopped when I looked at the clock and it was well past 3:00 AM. It was addictive. Long story short, I got back to the early 18th century in some branches and got a lot more info overall that really enhanced the trip.

Mona, I'm with Deez - if you are able to go, you gotta go and walk in their steps, see what they saw, and just take it all in. My wife and I have been blessed with many trips across the world and they've all be truly wonderful, but the times I've been in Ireland bring the goosebumps.

View attachment 9292

That's many kinds of cool, right there.

How did Deez's thread wind up on the BLM thread? BTW, that as a cool cathedral. Wales is on my bucket list.

That cathedral is in St. Davids in Wales. It's the smallest city in the UK, and it's located on the far western tip of Wales. It's a hassle to get to, but my parents were visiting and wanted to see sites in Wales that were relevant to our ancestors. So we made the trek and to Penderyn, where the first in our family to move to America was from. Not a lot to do in St. Davids beyond seeing the cathedral, but it is a charming and beautiful place. The locals were very friendly and somewhat surprised to see a group of Americans visit. I don't think it happens often. Lol.

Could you understand them?
I understand that even English people can't always understand Welsh

I could understand them pretty well, unless they spoke Welsh, which is pretty unusual. The Welsh language is utter gibberish, especially when written. The Scots and the Irish are another story. Some of them I understand, but there are some that I almost can't follow at all. I understand German much better.

I was in Tokyo on a sight seeing tour and there was this hot Russian chick i was ogling. she asked me where I was from and I said...."Texas". She thought it was quite interesting that I said Texas and not the U.S. in that context.

I was in Tokyo on a sight seeing tour and there was this hot Russian chick i was ogling. she asked me where I was from and I said...."Texas". She thought it was quite interesting that I said Texas and not the U.S. in that context.
Beware: Russian Women = Landsharks

So you meet a hot Russian chick who's intrigued. And . . . .you're just gonna leave us hanging.

Also, I typically tell people I'm a Texan as well, which usually prompts a positive response. Of course, sometimes people will refer to me as "an American." When that happens (if the mood is right), I'll say, "not only am I an American, I'm the worst kind of American. I'm a Texan."

I've never intrigued a hot Russian chick with that though. Hmm.

I understand why they'd take down a statue to an overt slavery defender like Calhoun, but they don't have to replace it with a guy like Vessey. What's weird is that Charleston isn't a big liberal bastion. I think they have a Republican mayor.

Calhoun is much more than a defender of slavery. He was probably the most prominent political theorist from South Carolina. He is part of that state's legacy for good and for bad. Taking away his statue is an attack on their history and identity. You can criticize people from the past without canceling them. Canceling, removing history, etc is the action of radical communists. It should be rejected by Americans.

I wouldn't have taken it down, because I think you can honour his legacy without honouring every part of it. He was wrong on slavery, but he was right on states' rights and nullification. However, I'm saying that I can understand a defensible reason to remove an honour to a slavery advocate (even if I wouldn't do it). I don't see a defensible reason to honour Vessey.

I wouldn't have taken it down, because I think you can honour his legacy without honouring every part of it. He was wrong on slavery, but he was right on states' rights and nullification. However, I'm saying that I can understand a defensible reason to remove an honour to a slavery advocate (even if I wouldn't do it). I don't see a defensible reason to honour Vessey.

Yeah, it's a legitimate gripe for sure.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back